E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Automatic to Manual Swap 2007 335i Sedan

09-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #67
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

From memory i would say the auto is about 30mm shorter. I uesd the manual one, but you are keeping your own diff you only need the front half. if you look on BMW REAL OEM,COM you will find all info on parts and part numbers.

Last edited by RS DAVE; 09-13-2018 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      09-21-2018, 02:15 AM   #68
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So is there any difference in output flange sizes between Automatic and Manual transmissions (where the guibo mounts)?
I ask because I am trying to frankenstein a driveshaft for my M3 LSD swap and want to source a second front-half driveshaft to harvest for the flange swap on my M3 shaft instead of cutting up my original manual driveshaft.

The OP said that only the back-half of the Manual driveshaft is different and comparing pictures on ECS tuning, that seems correct but I just want to be 100% sure before I make a commitment to buying parts
I am watching a few front-half driveshafts right now but I just wanted to know if either shafts will work for my purposes (just in case maybe they are mislabeled or send the wrong part)? I’m also assuming no difference between e90/e92 shafts
      09-24-2018, 03:59 AM   #69
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Just did this.... very helpful
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #70
stuta
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
From memory i would say the auto is about 30mm shorter. I uesd the manual one, but you are keeping your own diff you only need the front half. if you look on BMW REAL OEM,COM you will find all info on parts and part numbers.
hello again dave

you are correct, the difference between the two shafts is 30mm.
i am keeping the auto diff yes, and since the gearbox coupling fits the automatic shaft, i did not need to cut and weld it.

i just extended/ pulled it from one end to another and it works.

now the only hustle is i cant seem to find a straight forward reverse wiring diagram online without bringing up reverse cameras and all.
i am using a manual DDE for now (to avoid the fan running non stop since i am not able to code at this point), i have the plug and wiring but still need to figure out were to plug it on the DDE.

apart from that, the thread has been very helpful indeed...thanx alot
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #71
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuta View Post
hello again dave

you are correct, the difference between the two shafts is 30mm.
i am keeping the auto diff yes, and since the gearbox coupling fits the automatic shaft, i did not need to cut and weld it.

i just extended/ pulled it from one end to another and it works.

now the only hustle is i cant seem to find a straight forward reverse wiring diagram online without bringing up reverse cameras and all.
i am using a manual DDE for now (to avoid the fan running non stop since i am not able to code at this point), i have the plug and wiring but still need to figure out were to plug it on the DDE.

apart from that, the thread has been very helpful indeed...thanx alot
Run a wire from your reverse light switch to ground, run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to pin 19 on your FRM unit. if the car is coded correctly the reverse light and parking sensors will work. The only trouble with just pulling the shaft on the spline is it hasn't got as much strength because the contact area between the two is less than it should be.
Appreciate 2
8081M40.50
Blau364.00
      09-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #72
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
So is there any difference in output flange sizes between Automatic and Manual transmissions (where the guibo mounts)?
I ask because I am trying to frankenstein a driveshaft for my M3 LSD swap and want to source a second front-half driveshaft to harvest for the flange swap on my M3 shaft instead of cutting up my original manual driveshaft.

The OP said that only the back-half of the Manual driveshaft is different and comparing pictures on ECS tuning, that seems correct but I just want to be 100% sure before I make a commitment to buying parts
I am watching a few front-half driveshafts right now but I just wanted to know if either shafts will work for my purposes (just in case maybe they are mislabeled or send the wrong part)? I’m also assuming no difference between e90/e92 shafts
The guibo is the same on my 335d the drive shaft is shorter on the auto, as for the M3 i wouldn't know.I converted a E46 M3 in 2008 but that was easy, just standard M3 parts and 2 wires and recoded the clocks.
Appreciate 2
8081M40.50
      10-02-2018, 11:58 PM   #73
stuta
Rep

Quote:
Run a wire from your reverse light switch to ground, run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to pin 19 on your FRM unit. if the car is coded correctly the reverse light and parking sensors will work. The only trouble with just pulling the shaft on the spline is it hasn't got as much strength because the contact area between the two is less than it should be.
u are very helpful and i appreciate that.
i have not done any coding yet but i strongly believe it will be straight forward as i have installed a manual lockset . i still need to buy software and cables off ebay for the coding.
i will try connecting and setting up the reverse switch today and advice.

as with the shaft. what you say does make sense but i still have to verify
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #74
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
u are very helpful and i appreciate that.
i have not done any coding yet but i strongly believe it will be straight forward as i have installed a manual lockset . i still need to buy software and cables off ebay for the coding.
i will try connecting and setting up the reverse switch today and advice.

as with the shaft. what you say does make sense but i still have to verify
The shaft will fit but don't go launching it off the line, if the shaft comes apart it will wreck the floor pan of the car..
Appreciate 2
stuta6.00
8081M40.50
      10-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #75
stuta
Rep

yes dave, there will be no launching the car until all is sorted and perfect.
am doing it one step a time till next year...kinda like a project

and by the way, are u able to source me a second hand gear selector from from scrap yards for a e90 330d that side. have checked on ebay with no luck...most are in Lithuania and it takes a while to arrive if one buys from that side.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #76
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

To be honest those parts aren't that expensive from bmw, and they will feel like better as all the bushings will have no wear.
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      10-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #77
stuta
Rep

I think u hv a point thr sir dave.
Thts wht I'm gona do
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #78
stuta
Rep

Quote:
To be honest those parts aren't that expensive from bmw, and they will feel like better as all the bushings will have no wear.
just a quick question dave, u have been a very big help and i owe my car driving to u.
the thing is, on the frm module pin 19. there is a blue wire. do i cut it and connect the end from the frm module to the one wire from the reverse switch or do i simply spline and bridge it on without completely cutting it?

i hope my question makes sense.

thank u again dave
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #79
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
just a quick question dave, u have been a very big help and i owe my car driving to u.
the thing is, on the frm module pin 19. there is a blue wire. do i cut it and connect the end from the frm module to the one wire from the reverse switch or do i simply spline and bridge it on without completely cutting it?

i hope my question makes sense.

thank u again dave
PIN 19 is were it goes so just remove the wire that's there and give it a go. the one that is there may go to the auto trans shifter? you could try a test on the wire to see if it does go to the shifter,
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      11-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #80
DenoirN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Dave how has it ran since doing this yourself? I did this to an FD RX-7 ten years ago and it was... an undertaking but not horrible.

I'm wanting to do this as I keep putting more bulk in the engine and I can feel slipping and burning clutch... for an auto. This ain't a good thing. That being said I'm just curious if you ran into anything over an extended period of time that caused any alarms for you.

Thank you Nick for doing this expansive write up and giving us all advice as we've needed.

Last edited by DenoirN54; 11-16-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
RS DAVE100.50
      12-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #81
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoirN54 View Post
Dave how has it ran since doing this yourself? I did this to an FD RX-7 ten years ago and it was... an undertaking but not horrible.

I'm wanting to do this as I keep putting more bulk in the engine and I can feel slipping and burning clutch... for an auto. This ain't a good thing. That being said I'm just curious if you ran into anything over an extended period of time that caused any alarms for you.

Thank you Nick for doing this expansive write up and giving us all advice as we've needed.
Sorry for the slow reply, my dad died so have tyied up for a few weeks. nothing has gone wrong since the day i did the conversion, i used all standard 330d m sport parts, everything seems up to the job,the car has a 360 bhp remap and all is well. if you go on facebook, find BMW ADVANCED CODING, if you scroll down you will find my car reg 516 MOB there is a short video of us driving it just after the coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #82
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Sorry to hear about your loss. After driving an auto E46 for nearly seven years, I jumped at the chance to replace it with a six speed E92. Best mod ever!
      01-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #83
DenoirN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Sorry for the slow reply, my dad died so have tyied up for a few weeks. nothing has gone wrong since the day i did the conversion, i used all standard 330d m sport parts, everything seems up to the job,the car has a 360 bhp remap and all is well. if you go on facebook, find BMW ADVANCED CODING, if you scroll down you will find my car reg 516 MOB there is a short video of us driving it just after the coding.
Thank you for the reply man and I am saddened to hear of your loss. Take whatever time you need, don't worry about anything over here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #84
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenoirN54 View Post
Thank you for the reply man and I am saddened to hear of your loss. Take whatever time you need, don't worry about anything over here.
Anything you need to know just ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #85
disabled_cata
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 335i

Hello, I am doing this to a N55 , and I am running into some issues.

1. in the left of the clutch there is a white 4pin plug coming from the main harness, is it related to the clutch stwitch?
2.do I need to buy 61116911072 (plug) if I have the plug from the switch and 2-3inches of wires(cut from the donor car)?

3. The Automatic gearbox harness is only 1 big circled plug , is that the one I need to get the ground pin from?(for coding)

There are many other unknowns but these are the next steps I should figure it out before my flywheel (I am going with DMF)and QUAIFE diff arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Catalin
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #86
stuta
Rep

Did u manage or do you still need assistance?
I converted a e90 330d from auto to manual and the car starts and drives fine.

Only issue is i can't bet around the coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #87
stuta
Rep

Quote:
Anything you need to know just ask.
Dave, its been a while

I bought INPA off ebay with th k+dcan cable....
My ncs expert profile has no expert mode and i cant code my car meaning the fan runs non stop....any shooters.
Appreciate 1
RS DAVE100.50
      04-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #88
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Dave, its been a while

I bought INPA off ebay with th k+dcan cable....
My ncs expert profile has no expert mode and i cant code my car meaning the fan runs non stop....any shooters.
That's because the dde isn't seeing a signal from the auto box, so it thinks the box is overheating. there is a thin trigger wire that runs along side the 2 thick fan wires, brake into it with 2 core wire and put a small switch on the dash. when you need A/C you will need to switch the fan on, as of yet know one has sussed a way round it. even when you code it, it will still do that.
Appreciate 0