E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Restraint System Malfunction??

01-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

Restraint System Malfunction??

I have an 2008 328xi coupe, I had this light come on, says its for passenger seat. Light doesnt turn off Very annoying

Car not under warranty.

Anybody else have this problem?

is it a cheap fix, or do I need to buy a 2000 dollar sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
there was a recall due to faulty pas seat sensor mat and retractor. regardless if its under warranty or not, i believe they will still cover it due to safety issues, if it is indeed the cause of your malfunction. that is if granted your model/year is affected

edit: i had to have the belt replaced and software update done. car was still under warranty at time of recall, but like i said i BELIEVE they will cover it, due to it being a safety issue, if that is indeed your problem

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
there was a recall due to faulty pas seat sensor mat and retractor. regardless if its under warranty or not, i believe they will still cover it due to safety issues, if it is indeed the cause of your malfunction. that is if granted your model/year is affected

edit: i had to have the belt replaced and software update done. car was still under warranty at time of recall, but like i said i BELIEVE they will cover it, due to it being a safety issue, if that is indeed your problem
Recall is limited to 200,000 vehicles produced in 2006 on 3 series, X3 and X5 vehicles with sport seats....I think.

I know for sure it's '06 3 series though with sport seats.

Your passenger side, occupant sensor mat is most likely cracked. Does a little red seat with an airbag come up on your dash?

I do not have sport seats but had this problem. It was covered under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
You should really find out what the code is first.

The error it's displaying on the iDrive is a very generic error. The restraint system doesn't just mean the seat belt or the passenger mat, it's also the airbag system and such as well.

I kept getting a restraint failure because when the car was last serviced they didn't secure the battery in the trunk properly and it kept moving around, causing a MRS failure on the Battery Safety Terminal. Once I resecured the battery properly and cleared the error, it's never come back since.

First things first, get a shop to read you the code (it's probably going to be a BMW specific code) then you'll have an idea of what needs to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I just had this happen today. Airbag light went on and iDrive said there was a malfunction with the passenger side safety restraint system.

Turned the car off and back on and it hasn't returned. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0