E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

03-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #485
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Thank you!
So, the squeak is actually from inside that outer rearward bushing? I now watched a few videos on this and yes, that's the noise. But I am not too keen on poking a hole in the rubber and injecting grease in there like all of them show. That will certainly finish them sooner by allowing dirt to migrate in there, won't it?
Is that how you lubricated yours? Or did you just spray around the bushing area?

My bushings are only 14k kms old. That's very early for them to fail, especially since the originals lasted 140k.
imo doing what the guy did is a bit overkill, probably not that effective even on short term and overall, at this point just replace it.

I simple spray a shit load of chain grease on the busing. Did nothing the 1st few ride, then I spray a ton more, and this time gone, about a year ago !

But note I dont use my car often, I maybe did 6000 km since then.

Probably PB baster Surface shield should work too, this stuff is thick
Appreciate 2
eljay1443.50
      03-12-2024, 12:51 PM   #486
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
imo doing what the guy did is a bit overkill, probably not that effective even on short term and overall, at this point just replace it.

I simple spray a shit load of chain grease on the busing. Did nothing the 1st few ride, then I spray a ton more, and this time gone, about a year ago !

But note I dont use my car often, I maybe did 6000 km since then.

Probably PB baster Surface shield should work too, this stuff is thick
Well, I guess that makes sense. Since it's noisy, that rubber boot is not sealing the bushing and water/dirt must be causing the squeak. So, it's compromised anyway already and the reason you were able to quiet it down just by spraying it over a period is that wherever it's compromised is allowing your lubricant to get inside and quiet it down. Poking a hole there just ensures a quicker lubrication then, but also faster time to have to replace it.
It's still bugging me that it failed this early and I remember that getting it out without proper toolkit wasn't fun since the brake shield is in the way... never a quiet moment in E9x ownership.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 01:01 PM   #487
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Well, I guess that makes sense. Since it's noisy, that rubber boot is not sealing the bushing and water/dirt must be causing the squeak. So, it's compromised anyway already and the reason you were able to quiet it down just by spraying it over a period is that wherever it's compromised is allowing your lubricant to get inside and quiet it down. Poking a hole there just ensures a quicker lubrication then, but also faster time to have to replace it.
It's still bugging me that it failed this early and I remember that getting it out without proper toolkit wasn't fun since the brake shield is in the way... never a quiet moment in E9x ownership.
this is also my luck on some stuff like this on my german cars.

I always evaluate the effort before changing OEM stuff on jobs ''while I'm there'' knowing most of the time OEM part last longer than aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:28 PM   #488
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

If I remember rightly, the boots are held onto the joint with little spring clips. It's a pain of a job, but you should be able to get the clips and boots off entirely without damaging anything. Then clean, grease/lube, refit/reseal.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:31 PM   #489
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
If I remember rightly, the boots are held onto the joint with little spring clips. It's a pain of a job, but you should be able to get the clips and boots off entirely without damaging anything. Then clean, grease/lube, refit/reseal.
Yes, they have those clips. If I could do that, that may be the way to go. However, if I have to remove the big control arm to get to it, I might as well get a bushing toolkit and replace the bushing itself as I don't know whether regressing it really saves it, or just delays replacement. Rein is $10, Lemforder $20 and BMW $61.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:52 AM   #490
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Agreed. Go for lemforder, but send it back if it's not made in Germany.
Appreciate 0