E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front-end suspension clunk QUESTIONS

02-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Front-end suspension clunk QUESTIONS

I have searched and searched without any luck.

I have KW V1 coilovers and the rest of the suspension is stock including stabilizing arms.

I recently replaced the front thrust bushings and about 1 month later I stated getting a bad clunking sound from the front suspension. It happens when hitting bumps in road or similar. It almost sounds like the coilovers are loose where they mount to the engine bay (however, they are tightened correctly). I also get a very bad clunk / clicking sound when parallel parking or anytime that I'm fully turning the steering wheel. It's hard to distinguish if the sound is coming from the drivers side or passenger side ....... sounds like both.

The stabilizing arm end links do look a bit worn (... just from visual assessment). Nothing else looks obviously wrong with the suspension.

I'm really hoping someone can help with this and/or has fixed a similar issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by m1ka; 02-08-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
SikhE90
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 09 E70 X5D

Control arms are gone. When ever you upgrade any one of the following items, tension arm, control arm or steering tie-rod, you will start hearing clunking noises. Put car up on rack, have a helper move the wheels/tires from full turn to full turn with your hand on the control arm. If you HEAR it and FEEL it, its gone. I had the same issues and replaced my front end with the M3 kit and all issues were resolved.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I'm going to guess sway bar links. They go at stock ride height, now that you are lowered I'm sure they are shot.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ka View Post

I have KW V1 coilovers and the rest of the suspension is stock including stabilizing arms.

I recently replaced the front thrust bushings and about 1 month later I stated getting a bad clunking sound from the front suspension. It happens when hitting bumps in road or similar. It almost sounds like the coilovers are loose where they mount to the engine bay (however, they are tightened correctly). I also get a very bad clunk / clicking sound when parallel parking or anytime that I'm fully turning the steering wheel. It's hard to distinguish if the sound is coming from the drivers side or passenger side ....... sounds like both.

The stabilizing arm end links do look a bit worn (... just from visual assessment). Nothing else looks obviously wrong with the suspension.

Thanks!
Had the exact issue. I replaced the sway bar links about 60000km ago with Meyle HD. They are completely shot. Now replaced again with the Febi ones and no more clunking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
When you put the New shocks & struts on the car, did the suspension drop an inch or so?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
When you put the New shocks & struts on the car, did the suspension drop an inch or so?
I have adjustable KW V1 coilovers therefore, I can lower to whatever ride height i choose.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I have adjustable KW V1 coilovers therefore, I can lower to whatever ride height i choose.

Thanks
If you lowered the car, than the sway bar links need to longer in front & shorter in back
Appreciate 0