E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wastegate rattle under acceleration? 30FF Please help

09-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Shiny.E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Wastegate rattle under acceleration? 30FF Please help

Hey all, so I have an 07 sedan 335i with 150k on the car. So when I do a cold start the car has wastegate rattle and after like 30 seconds it goes away, it has wastegate rattle on deacceleration like any other normal N54. What I do find odd is it also has some wastegate rattle on acceleration up until like 3-4kish rpm and then it sounds like a normal turbo spooling. The turbo seals failed and is smoking out the back. I have new turbos I’m about to put in but today it got a 30FF and isles slightly different, not crazy different but I noticed it mainly because I drive the car a lot. I got on the gas and boom 30FF game not followed by any other codes except the normal one I have for catless dp’s. The car is MHD Stage 1, has a fmic, chargepipe w/bov, catless dp’s, stock exhaust and air intake. I looked at my vacuum lines and they seemed fine from the eye, don’t have a smoker or anything. Checked my connections on the FMIC cold and hot side & chargepipe connections everything seems fine. I don’t know how to test the boost solenoids so now I’m at a loss for why it’s throwing a 30FF. I’m guessing from some of the research I did that it’s the wastegates finally giving up and causing the 30FF. I don’t think it’s my turbo’s themselves, the vacuum lines, and all connections. Vacuum canisters are both brand new as well. Please help if you can I’ll try to respond ASAP if you have questions
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Wastegate rattle means the wastegates aren’t sealing properly. On WOT the turbos feel fine but on light or medium throttle the wastegates aren’t sealing the way they are supposed to hence the 30ff. I have the same thing going on. Time to install those turbos!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
nicsteez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Need new wastegates or turbos installed if they are blowing smoke. Pretty much your only option
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

No, wastegate rattle does not necessarily mean your turbos are done. Make a log and check the duty cycle - if it is within normal range, you're fine. Just live with the noise. An adjustment to the arm length may help.

On the other hand, smoking is a bad sign, unrelated to wastegate function of course but possibly signifying a turbo problem. However, there can be other for smoke besides turbo wear.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
gotturbo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335I

Are we fixing the wastegates this days in lieu of replacing turbos? I always kind of thought it could be possible and then I thought I’d seen something about it somewhere but not sure. I’m just getting to the point where I’m wondering because I thought I heard a rattle as car warmed up the other day
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Your wastegate's need to be tightened down. Turn the actuator bolt 2.5x on rear & use the U shaped, no8 washer trick on the front turbos. If you still have rattle, either replace the actuators (if you believe the turbos still have a lot of life left) or replace the turbos entirely.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
No, wastegate rattle does not necessarily mean your turbos are done. Make a log and check the duty cycle - if it is within normal range, you're fine. Just live with the noise. An adjustment to the arm length may help.

On the other hand, smoking is a bad sign, unrelated to wastegate function of course but possibly signifying a turbo problem. However, there can be other for smoke besides turbo wear.
I hear you and I’m sure the log will turn out ok but his turbos are on their way out and on light to medium throttle the turbos wastegates do not seal causing surging and “engine malfunction” errors, 30ff, etc. Trust me I’ve been living through this exact situation for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Your wastegate's need to be tightened down. Turn the actuator bolt 2.5x on rear & use the U shaped, no8 washer trick on the front turbos. If you still have rattle, either replace the actuators (if you believe the turbos still have a lot of life left) or replace the turbos entirely.

Tightening them will help, but only the front turbo not the rear and it will be a temporary solution. Again, I’ve been living through these symptoms for a year and one of my “solutions” was to tighten the wastegates and it did help but not much.

OP, I’d start with tightening the wastegates and see how it feels but the wastegate rattle will not go away completely, unfortunately this is just something you’ll have to live with.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Shiny.E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks everyone for all the feedback but I’m getting the new rb turbos installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
El sols
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Please if anyone can help. 2011 n55, 335xi 6 speed MT

Today my RPM’s started spiking under hard acceleration. Take 3rd gear, floor it at 3k and it spikes instantly to 4K and then drops back and then proceeds to make normal boost.

Just had the valves walnut blasted, have a Cobb charge pipe,.. is there anyway that this is a vacuum hose popping off that was not properly reconnected? Is this a boost solenoid/ pressure converter? Is this a wastegate failure? Help Please. Engine has about 70k on it,

Last edited by El sols; 09-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Car Designation specification.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #10
zack9r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Your answer and price can vary severely based on how dirty you want to get your hands.

Jb4 rattle fix works. Tested. I approve but its more of a band aid than surgery $450 brand new (i got one for $250) and this has more features than just the rattle fix including exhaust flap opening on cold start, gauge sweep, tune, the list goes on and on really.

Replace the wastegate flapper itself. Part is $30 but requires the turbos to be taken out.

New turbos and wastegate. The new design has a new and improved design so that it doesnt happen again. Bmw dealer wants around $6500 which i find is bull**** but hey, thats how they make their money

^^ ive seen some for as low as $800-$1200 so price can vary extremely but ofcourse thats uninstalled

Edit: tightening the wastegate actuator can fix the rattle but again, is more of a bandaid as it will not be a permanent issue and will arise sometime again. Free.
      09-14-2019, 01:37 AM   #11
zack9r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El sols View Post

Today my RPM's started spiking under hard acceleration. Take 3rd gear, floor it at 3k and it spikes instantly to 4K and then drops back and then proceeds to make normal boost.

Just had the valves walnut blasted, have a Cobb charge pipe,.. is there anyway that this is a vacuum hose popping off that was not properly reconnected? Is this a boost solenoid/ pressure converter? Is this a wastegate failure? Help Please. Engine has about 70k on it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by El sols View Post

Today my RPM's started spiking under hard acceleration. Take 3rd gear, floor it at 3k and it spikes instantly to 4K and then drops back and then proceeds to make normal boost.

Sounds like your ignition coil packs. Idle will be rough and rpm's will jump around from 500-1000
Typically can and will throw a code, but not always
      09-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
El sols
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

So far no code. Idle feels slightly rough at start up, but RPM's don't jump.

why would the waste gate all of a sudden start having issues?
Appreciate 0