E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dyno Results

08-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Dyno Results

Went to the dyno today. it was a mustang dyno. Not sure how good the dyno graphs will show up but here they are. AFR's were all over the place, way too high had to abort the run at 5500 rpm's. Is running way too lean!!!

2008 335
stock except DCI and Procede running E85/100 oct 50/50 mix.

Baseline with DCI E85/100 oct in tank on map 0

299whp
312tq

401 whp
471 tq
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
cadillacgrills
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 6 MT

Nice to see CIN....

On the e90, I counted on those guys more times than I can count when I was pushing a G35 around. Bobby and those guys are first class.
Good numbers, what's your plan for the AFR being all over the place?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Yeah, and 479 TQ on a Mustang. Dang that's gotta feel good. Get that midrange dip figured out and I'm sure the numbers would be better.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
type rrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

big numbers !!! very nice

what is your max timing 13.000 14.000 ?
      08-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Data Log Attached

Can't get afr's to scale right...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

your fuel trim is maxed way up, that's why the afr was all over the place. what's your open loop fuel setting?
you also had timing correction. but for e85, i think timing could be more aggressive. what's the inlet air temp?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
your fuel trim is maxed way up, that's why the afr was all over the place. what's your open loop fuel setting?
you also had timing correction. but for e85, i think timing could be more aggressive. what's the inlet air temp?

OL set to 100%

IAT--102--158
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacgrills View Post
On the e90, I counted on those guys more times than I can count when I was pushing a G35 around. Bobby and those guys are first class.
Good numbers, what's your plan for the AFR being all over the place?
Bobby has been great to deal with. I have a friend with a Nissan so I went down with him today.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Ok, here is the log scaled correctly so we can better see what is going on. You maxed out your fuel trims for an extended period. This means the DME was not able to add enough fuel to reach your targeted AFR. If you have your OL Fueling set to 100 and you are still maxing your fuel trims, you may need to use a lower concentration of E85 or possible no E85 at all at least until we can figure out whats going on fueling wise on your car. You were running very lean during your peak torque. You are still losing a little power even running race fuel and E85 due to your high IAT. The DME will pull timing to compensate for the high IAT. I think your timing pulls were from IAT compensation and not from knock. It also look like you are having a slight boost oscillation as well but only during the peak boost. It seems to settle afterwards though so it may be nothing. Can you notice it at all on the street? It could be a leaking Diverter Valve under high boost, but that is just a guess and I could be way off.

To get the the AFR to scale correctly, when you have the datalog open click on the AFR Bank 1 channel (the one in the bottom left not the top section) to highlight it. Then press the P button on your keyboard. This will open the properties of that specific channel. From there you can either manually set your max and min values (which I usually do) or you can check Autoscale. After you are finished with AFR Bank 1, follow the same instructions for the other Bank. For your particular log I scaled it to min 12.5 and 19 max. Typically when the AFRs are where they are supposed to be, I use 11 min and 14 max. I like being able to see in more detail the AFR trace.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdbretz; 08-25-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

Sounds like you need the flash
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
I'm not sure that comment quite applies here. I am not bashing flash tunes at all, but I have never seen a flash tune only and DCI produce anywhere near this power level. Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive is close but doesn't even reach it and you need to be FBO to run that. There is a fueling issue that needs to be sorted out for sure, but the answer is not to switch to a flash tune. I think this can stay civilized and not resort to the typical which tune does this or that better. I do concur that a flash tune, if tuned properly, can handle fueling better, but that is not to say a piggyback cannot do it adequately as has been seen for years now on this platform.

EDIT: It you are referring to the "Procede Flash" I apologize as that may alleviate the issue the OP is facing. I just assumed you were referring to switching to Cobb
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
I'm not sure that comment quite applies here. I am not bashing flash tunes at all, but I have never seen a flash tune only and DCI produce anywhere near this power level. Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive is close but doesn't even reach it and you need to be FBO to run that. There is a fueling issue that needs to be sorted out for sure, but the answer is not to switch to a flash tune. I think this can stay civilized and not resort to the typical which tune does this or that better. I do concur that a flash tune, if tuned properly, can handle fueling better, but that is not to say a piggyback cannot do it adequately as has been seen for years now on this platform.

EDIT: It you are referring to the "Procede Flash" I apologize as that may alleviate the issue the OP is facing. I just assumed you were referring to switching to Cobb
I think he meant that he should get Shiv's new Procede Flash.

Last edited by Dave W.; 08-25-2012 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: eeeee!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I think he meant that he should get Shiv's new Procede Flash.
Yeah, after I re-read his post I kinda figured that's what he meant. My bad lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post
Ok, here is the log scaled correctly so we can better see what is going on. You maxed out your fuel trims for an extended period. This means the DME was not able to add enough fuel to reach your targeted AFR. If you have your OL Fueling set to 100 and you are still maxing your fuel trims, you may need to use a lower concentration of E85 or possible no E85 at all at least until we can figure out whats going on fueling wise on your car. You were running very lean during your peak torque. You are still losing a little power even running race fuel and E85 due to your high IAT. The DME will pull timing to compensate for the high IAT. I think your timing pulls were from IAT compensation and not from knock. It also look like you are having a slight boost oscillation as well but only during the peak boost. It seems to settle afterwards though so it may be nothing. Can you notice it at all on the street? It could be a leaking Diverter Valve under high boost, but that is just a guess and I could be way off.

To get the the AFR to scale correctly, when you have the datalog open click on the AFR Bank 1 channel (the one in the bottom left not the top section) to highlight it. Then press the P button on your keyboard. This will open the properties of that specific channel. From there you can either manually set your max and min values (which I usually do) or you can check Autoscale. After you are finished with AFR Bank 1, follow the same instructions for the other Bank. For your particular log I scaled it to min 12.5 and 19 max. Typically when the AFRs are where they are supposed to be, I use 11 min and 14 max. I like being able to see in more detail the AFR trace.
Thanks for all of your help. I had OL fueling set to 100%. I do not feel anythin g boost related on the street. I have been feeling a fall on its face post shifts especially 2-3rd. You mentioned the IAT's being high thus pulling some timing, how do you lower IAT's other than meth or intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Wow very impressive numbers!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iTurbo'd View Post
Thanks for all of your help. I had OL fueling set to 100%. I do not feel anythin g boost related on the street. I have been feeling a fall on its face post shifts especially 2-3rd. You mentioned the IAT's being high thus pulling some timing, how do you lower IAT's other than meth or intercooler?
Unfortunately, aside from moving to a colder climate, meth and an upgraded intercooler are you're only two options.

e85 has a very beneficial cooling effect inside the combustion chamber, however the TMAP sensor never sees that so as far as the DME is concerned your IATs are as reported.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post

You can get nearly any tune to make this amount of power running this dangerously might i say. Yeah our cars can take it and rescue us 99% of the time, but your statement is incorrect.
When this car is running correct afrs with appropriate advance it would make less but safer power, and is he not FBOs??
2 cents; Glory runs mean less to me

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Unfortunately, aside from moving to a colder climate, meth and an upgraded intercooler are you're only two options.

e85 has a very beneficial cooling effect inside the combustion chamber, however the TMAP sensor never sees that so as far as the DME is concerned your IATs are as reported.
and that's why he should get the Procede Flash. Raised fueling limits, better IAT tables, it's coded for E85 use.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #19
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iTurbo'd View Post
Meth is the most effective. You need Procedeflash or meth or preferably both to run that much power safely.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #20
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Normally you should make sure the car runs perfectly fine before taking it to the dyno and realize it goes lean.......
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
and that's why he should get the Procede Flash. Raised fueling limits, better IAT tables, it's coded for E85 use.
As far as IATs go a flash isn't going to help. Shiv may adjust timing correction factor tables but that's kind of a sketchy proposition with IATs north of 150F.

I would be curious to see where OPs IATs are at the end of a 1-2-3 gear pull. That's a lot of boost and timing for a stock car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
335iTurbo'd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You can get nearly any tune to make this amount of power running this dangerously might i say. Yeah our cars can take it and rescue us 99% of the time, but your statement is incorrect.
When this car is running correct afrs with appropriate advance it would make less but safer power, and is he not FBOs??
2 cents; Glory runs mean less to me
I am not FBO. Stock except Procede and DCI.
Appreciate 0