E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan flashes

08-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Dinan flashes

So I've had my Dinan flash now for a while and have been pretty happy for the most part. I know it's fairly conservative compared to others available but I wanted something that would compliment my BMW warranty and since I was not looking to go FOB, I though it to be all around less potentially troublesome.

Let me start by saying i am happy with the Dinan tune but I have noticed this flash at times has a couple of personalities. One day it can be a bear but the next day it might be considered even a bit less motivated than stock! I've gone through some threads here and at other BMW site and find that I am not alone with this experience.

So why is this tune not "all it can be" everyday of its life?

Are other flashes like this? Gas and weather seem to be the biggest factors but then again everyday can't be low humidity and upper 60's. RE; gas, I always use Shell 93 V-Power.

So a little helpful insight as to what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

PS; Dinan bashes restrain yourselves please, if you can't offer objective no bias comments...don't respond. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
LAE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

How many miles are on your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It sounds like you've already figured out one of the main causes: weather. High CATs and high humidity kill these cars. If you don't already have a BT I recommend picking one up and do some data logging to compare the differences in how the timing looks on a hot day and then a cool night. Timing follows a correction table determined by CATs and can be a very significant performance hindrance.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAE92 View Post
How many miles are on your car?
Just hit 25K.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
It sounds like you've already figured out one of the main causes: weather. High CATs and high humidity kill these cars. If you don't already have a BT I recommend picking one up and do some data logging to compare the differences in how the timing looks on a hot day and then a cool night. Timing follows a correction table determined by CATs and can be a very significant performance hindrance.
BT scan tool, good suggestion - thanks! And yes turbo spool sounds anemic on hot humid days but I had no idea it could cause so much timing retardation. As I remember the stock software handled it better but is that because boost was at stock levels also? Where as flash tunes run boost much higher and thus need to reduce timing under certain conditions for engine safety?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

You're gonna need an aftermarket FMIC to give your car a fighting chance during the summer months.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
BT scan tool, good suggestion - thanks! And yes turbo spool sounds anemic on hot humid days but I had no idea it could cause so much timing retardation. As I remember the stock software handled it better but is that because boost was at stock levels also? Where as flash tunes run boost much higher and thus need to reduce timing under certain conditions for engine safety?
The factory tables still have CAT correction tables, however the stock boost really levels help to keep the CATs down. As squirrel said, you'll need an upgraded FMIC to even make an attempt at consistency.

Just for example, I have logs of a Cobb map where a tune should be seeing ~9 degrees of timing, however the IATs where north of 140F and climbing so it was only getting to ~3 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
I definitely noticed that my Dinan tune seemed inconsistent and, aside from hot days, I'm pretty sure it was the stock FMIC getting heat soaked, as it usually started out strong.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
+1 for IATs/Weather Conditions killing your performance. If you can, get an aftermarket FMIC in there. It'll help give you more consistent performance, reduce your IATs & be less susceptible to heatsoak then the OEM core
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well, looks like an FMIC is in my future. I had noticed they were pretty popular here amount e90 users, now I understand why.
Supporting mods - who knew!

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Well, looks like an FMIC is in my future. I had noticed they were pretty popular here amount e90 users, now I understand why.
Supporting mods - who knew!

Thanks guys.
So are you gonna go All-Dinan here or try other aftermarket intercoolers such as Helix, ETS, etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
So are you gonna go All-Dinan here or try other aftermarket intercoolers such as Helix, ETS, etc?
The site is filled with many reviews and consensus seems split as to which is better. My guess is you cannot go wrong with most FMICs.

For me, Dinan a Spearco based design seems an obvious good starting point to look at.
Appreciate 0