E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to adjust headlight angle?

02-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #331
Alloutofdonuts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

For those that have the auto level not working on one side, it might be the motor inside the HL or it might have separated from the HL frame. Recently I noticed my drivers side was bouncing or jiggling obnoxiously over bumps. The level motor has a plastic shaft with a ball at the end and the headlight frame has a socket it snaps into. Mine had come apart which is why it was jittering. I had the light out and I was able to pop it back in with some finagling, not sure if it’d be possible with the light assembly installed in the car.

I was installing an oil cooler so I had the bumper off anyway. One of the OE halo bulbs had been out for a while and I’d been wanting to replace it. While I had it apart I replaced both my HL bulbs and halo bulbs(w/lux v8).

Last edited by Alloutofdonuts; 02-17-2021 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #332
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_S4 View Post
here is the pics of the location
I turn the screws, but beams stay the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #333
iurukov34
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XD

Coool
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #334
Dirtleg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Just playing with this stuff yesterday and looking through this thread I am seeing the same issue brought up regularly which I also had and seem to have fixed it, at least operationally. Pretty sure there's still a mechanical issue.

The issue is no movement when using the level adjuster.

I had the same problem on my ebay replacement drivers side headlight. It was pointing almost straight down. When I went to adjust it it would not go up at all. I could adjust it lower however. The leveling function was working it was just pointing at the ground.

By removing the drivers wheel, front inner fender liner and the airbox I was able to access the inside of the headlight once the cover was removed. For clarity I did not have to remove the headlight from the car.

Looking at the adjuster to see what was wrong it appears it lacks the ability to raise the light frame. By screwing it in it would push on and lower the frame. Without looking at a known good one I'd say there is probably a detent that is missing on mine.

Anyhoo, what I did to adjust it was manually raised it and then turned on the headlights. It raised to it's new position and stayed there. I did this several times while I still had the cover off and it worked each time.

The final time I made sure to adjust it too high and then used the level adjuster to lower it to the correct height. It stayed exactly where it should on my test drive last night.

At this time I do not know the permanence of this fix but it is working for now at least.

Maybe someone who is having the adjuster issue will find this helpful. Dunno
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:31 PM   #335
westtseng
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 328i m-sport

Garage List
Hey guys, recently I had my headlights re-aimed and adjusted as previously it was too low. But when I was looking at it yesterday, I realized the passenger headlight is way higher than the driver side, not to mention I do know that the passenger side would be higher so it could illuminate road signs and pedestrians, but you could tell it's way off. I also realized that you are ONLY able to tell that the passenger side is higher by looking at it with a distance, which I find it extremely weird as it looks perfectly in balanced with the driver side when looking at it close up (maybe 1-2 car length). So with that I decided to manually adjust them again, but no matter how I adjust it to match the driver side I can always see that the passenger side is brighter/higher from a distance. Can someone help me out here? Does anyone have this problem too? I get no error codes or anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:27 PM   #336
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

I start in the garage with cardboard and blue tape to establish the center of the cutoff line at about 5 feet. I measure to the center of the projector from floor, make marks on cardboard with level and sharpie, then run tape.

I shoot the beam against the doors the same way then drive down roads with parked cars to sight the cut off line against the sides of the parked cars. It takes me a couple of short trips for that adjustment then I am off to the highway for long throw, driver blinding and right side field/ ditch view.
I will admit it is one of the first things I do when I get a car or set one up for someone.

I shoot for below rear view door mirrors on average sedans. I try for slightly less than parallel to earth and never get flashed.
The 2.5 inch drop at 25 feet instruction I have seen and tried is to low.
I think if the HID projectors had a cleaner cutoff line instead of the fresnel lens, life would be better for us and other drivers.
My unscientific approach for what it's worth.

Try to see where the cutoff is projected on right side parked cars. Make sure it looks slightly less than level on a row of cars a good distance ahead.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:20 PM   #337
Berto50xk
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335xi

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:21 PM   #338
Berto50xk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtseng View Post
Hey guys, recently I had my headlights re-aimed and adjusted as previously it was too low. But when I was looking at it yesterday, I realized the passenger headlight is way higher than the driver side, not to mention I do know that the passenger side would be higher so it could illuminate road signs and pedestrians, but you could tell it's way off. I also realized that you are ONLY able to tell that the passenger side is higher by looking at it with a distance, which I find it extremely weird as it looks perfectly in balanced with the driver side when looking at it close up (maybe 1-2 car length). So with that I decided to manually adjust them again, but no matter how I adjust it to match the driver side I can always see that the passenger side is brighter/higher from a distance. Can someone help me out here? Does anyone have this problem too? I get no error codes or anything.
Did you figure it out and if you did I believe I’m having the same problem with mines, if you can give feedback please

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1X...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 12:40 AM   #339
Berto50xk
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:55 AM   #340
westtseng
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto50xk View Post
Did you figure it out and if you did I believe I’m having the same problem with mines, if you can give feedback please

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1X...w?usp=drivesdk
Unfortunately, I did not figure it out. My guess is that every single BMW's out there has this defaulted system where the passenger side headlight is higher to illuminate street signs and pedestrians, but for us it's seen as a "issue" since mine or yours headlight is aimed higher than others so that the "passenger headlight being higher" is more noticeable from a distance. I've also discovered that my headlight was previously aligned wrong by a mechanic so I had to re-adjust them. Just know that the beam should look like __/__/ when projected it on a flat surface from a distance. I'm probably going to align them to be just a slight lower since it feels like I'm on high beam all the time even though no upcoming traffic has ever flashed at me lol.

P.S: if no upcoming traffic flashed high beams at you to indicate your headlight is too high then you should be fine, the only solution I can kinda figure out is to aim the lights lower, but I'm not certain if that's really the case. Let me know if you figure it out, thanks.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 12:57 AM   #341
westtseng
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pics
You should take a picture from a distance where the car is directly in front you so that it's easier to see if the beams are the same level or not. (or line it up against a wall to see the beam pattern)
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #342
Berto50xk
Rep

Is that better but I will try to readjust them to see the difference if not then
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #343
westtseng
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that better but I will try to readjust them to see the difference if not then
See my attached picture from posts above, it’s easier to tell the difference from that angle.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 07:57 PM   #344
Berto50xk
Rep

Tried adjusting it but guess the little ball is out of the socket
Attached Images

Appreciate 0