E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rod knock questions

02-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I think having an m3 style cluster that tells you when the oil is warm and how many RPMs you can safety go at "X" temp, in addition to closely monitoring your oil temps before putting the foot to floor is not a bad idea.

Vehicular DIY, just posted a video about how to install an oil pressure gauge that can read actual real-time pressure from a v3 vent gauge.

Not sure I'd go to that extreme, but certainly having oil temp as a digital gauge on your MHD app is a great idea. 170+ 😃

Also, I don't ever put the car in drive until the rpms go down to idol, upon startup.
Unfortunately MHD can’t do that, and probably never will as it reads from the ECU. They took a long time to come up with wireless so chances of oil pressure integration are nonexistent. Then you have the issue of not every oil pressure sensor usisng the same range scalar. Only JB4. Same way you can hook up methanol injector or e85 content sensor. JB4 all the way! Is the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #24
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S58 View Post
That's nuts man! What tires you running for those speeds?
Nankang NS 2R and Federal RS RR. Both 120 thread wear.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #25
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
I think having an m3 style cluster that tells you when the oil is warm and how many RPMs you can safety go at "X" temp, in addition to closely monitoring your oil temps before putting the foot to floor is not a bad idea.

Vehicular DIY, just posted a video about how to install an oil pressure gauge that can read actual real-time pressure from a v3 vent gauge.

Not sure I'd go to that extreme, but certainly having oil temp as a digital gauge on your MHD app is a great idea. 170+ 😃

Also, I don't ever put the car in drive until the rpms go down to idol, upon startup.
Unfortunately MHD can’t do that, and probably never will as it reads from the ECU. They took a long time to come up with wireless so chances of oil pressure integration are nonexistent. Then you have the issue of not every oil pressure sensor usisng the same range scalar. Only JB4. Same way you can hook up methanol injector or e85 content sensor. JB4 all the way! Is the best.
I'm not saying oil pressure on MHD. I apologize if I misspoke.

I'm pretty sure that MHD will read oil temp 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #26
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying oil pressure on MHD. I apologize if I misspoke.

I'm pretty sure that MHD will read oil temp 😉
Ahhh...oil temps! Yes, MHD can read that but still JB4 is better It gives you boost on oil temp and will flash the 4 ways when ready.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Are rod bearing issues common with the N54s outside of fuel dilution from faulty injectors?
Seems like there are more failures and issues from guys replacing their oem rod bearings as "preventive maintenance".....and not knowing what in the hell they are doing.....than oem bearings just failing on their own.

Face it......there are a lot of these cars out there owned by people who beat the hell out of them. Not letting the oil temps warm up, and just honking on them when they are cold. Combine that with guys running high boost tunes and you have a recipe for disaster. No to mention the fact that lots of guys aren't keeping up with oil changes, or other maintenance.

Not sure I'd go to that extreme, but certainly having oil temp as a digital gauge on your MHD app is a great idea. 170+

The M3 cluster variable redline is coolant temp based in non M car applications and won't have the rev limit feature that it does in M cars. Both of those features are a function of the M car DME.

The M oil temp scale of 120-300F is much more useful than the 160-340F non M scale though IMO. About 75% of the M scale is usable in everyday driving while only 50% of the non M scale gets used.
Vivek.1366.00
      02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #28
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Are rod bearing issues common with the N54s outside of fuel dilution from faulty injectors?
Seems like there are more failures and issues from guys replacing their oem rod bearings as "preventive maintenance".....and not knowing what in the hell they are doing.....than oem bearings just failing on their own.

Face it......there are a lot of these cars out there owned by people who beat the hell out of them. Not letting the oil temps warm up, and just honking on them when they are cold. Combine that with guys running high boost tunes and you have a recipe for disaster. No to mention the fact that lots of guys aren't keeping up with oil changes, or other maintenance.

Not sure I'd go to that extreme, but certainly having oil temp as a digital gauge on your MHD app is a great idea. 170+

The M3 cluster variable redline is coolant temp based in non M car applications and won't have the rev limit feature that it does in M cars. Both of those features are a function of the M car DME.

The M oil temp scale of 120-300F is much more useful than the 160-340F non M scale though IMO. About 75% of the M scale is usable in everyday driving while only 50% of the non M scale gets used.
Do you have a picture of the m-scale oil temp gauge?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #29
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Do you have a picture of the m-scale oil temp gauge?
Here you go
Attached Images

02-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #30
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Exactly why I ordered mine to read to 150c During normal driving gauge is at the middle at 100c Middle in my mind equals normal in this case.
Appreciate 1
LMB335IS1297.50
      02-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #31
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Exactly why I ordered mine to read to 150c During normal driving gauge is at the middle at 100c Middle in my mind equals normal in this case.
This exactly. Makes it really easy to reference the oil temp. Mine reads at the 6 o'clock position when at normal operating temp.
feuer4275.50