E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e91 320d (M47) AT engine stops while driving

02-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Kindler
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

e91 320d (M47) AT engine stops while driving

Hello everyone,

2 weeks ago I was happy e91 320d owner for many years now. But since last week I don't fell safe in my car anymore. I couldn't find the solution @ EU forums and my mechanics so I hope maybe you guys will figure something out.

Long story short, car engine stopped while I was driving at highway speed. Few miles before I've noticed that DSC icon blinked for a second.
When problem occured (both times) the transmission downshifted from 6th gear to 5th. After stopping the car and starting engine once again everything worked fine and I was able to drive home safetly.

Reading error messages showed:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

check your engine ground strap, it is located under engine, with a such mileage it can be weak and break
you can look to this thread to understand how it fails
https://www.drive2.ru/l/515591514785579622/
      02-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Kindler
Registered
Rep

Thanks for answer, I've checked my ground strap before making this thread and it's really in a good shape, sadly.

Is crankshaft position sensor able to produce this kind of errors? Or ABS sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindler View Post
Thanks for answer, I've checked my ground strap before making this thread and it's really in a good shape, sadly.

Is crankshaft position sensor able to produce this kind of errors? Or ABS sensor?
This sounds like an alternator or battery problem, since many of the faults indicate a momentary loss of power to the DDE and related components.

Have you checked either?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Kindler
Registered
Rep

Yes, about week later after problem occured I've replaced both with new, was planing to do that anyway. Unfortunately that didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:

crankshaft position sensor failure will shutdown engine, but when i had problem with it i hadn't so much error codes looking like power outage for DDE and other ECUs
      02-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Kindler
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
crankshaft position sensor failure will shutdown engine, but when i had problem with it i hadn't so much error codes looking like power outage for DDE and other ECUs
I've read many post about crankshaft sensor and most common issue with it was that the engine stopped a minute or two after start. Some post says that even starting the engine was problematic. Mine so far doesn't "like" only downshifting from 6 to 5.
For a few days now, when the DSC led lights up i switch the gearbox to manual and downshift gear myself, so far enginge didn't stop. But it's not a solution in a long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #8
Alex Stanciu
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320d m47 163

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, about week later after problem occured I've replaced both with new, was planing to do that anyway. Unfortunately that didn't help.
Hi ! How did you solve the problem , i have perfectly same problem , can you help me with some info ?
Appreciate 0