E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Overheating need help!!

02-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Mcnelly
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Overheating need help!!

2008 328i. Brand new water pump last week, worked great for a few days. Started blowing cold air and overheating so I ordered the thermostat and replaced today.. I did the bleed procedure then drove around a few blocks watching temp it would go up and down as if everything was working but hardly any heat from vents. Turned it off let it sit for about a hr, checked coolant it was good. So I start driving again (watching temp) it's going up and down but cold air. I get it home and it starts to overheat again!!!! What could cause this problem?!?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnelly View Post
2008 328i. Brand new water pump last week, worked great for a few days. Started blowing cold air and overheating so I ordered the thermostat and replaced today.. I did the bleed procedure then drove around a few blocks watching temp it would go up and down as if everything was working but hardly any heat from vents. Turned it off let it sit for about a hr, checked coolant it was good. So I start driving again (watching temp) it's going up and down but cold air. I get it home and it starts to overheat again!!!! What could cause this problem?!?
Is it throwing any codes?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #3
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

What temp is it? Does the fan kick on? I think the fan comes on at 109 deg. celsius.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
Mcnelly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
What temp is it? Does the fan kick on? I think the fan comes on at 109 deg. celsius.
So the over heating problem might have gone away but I still have a issue.... in the past 3 days I've bleed the system about 8-9 times and my heater takes forever to get warm. I had to drive it about a hour to get heat
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
So the over heating problem might have gone away but I still have a issue.... in the past 3 days I've bleed the system about 8-9 times and my heater takes forever to get warm. I had to drive it about a hour to get heat
Have you scanned the car for faults? Might be a bad water valve to the heater core.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

Quote:
Are you looking at the oil temp. in the gauge cluster or the water temp. somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Mcnelly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Have you scanned the car for faults? Might be a bad water valve to the heater core.
I have not, not yet... with that throw a code?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
Mcnelly
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you looking at the oil temp. in the gauge cluster or the water temp. somewhere else?
I don't have a oil temp so I gotta watch the water temp.. fans will come on around 109-110c but it hardly goes that high I've been sitting around 90-99c with ice cold air.. at idle or interstate speeds..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It can, it is an electric valve. It sits on the frame rail just above the left engine mount.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #10
Mcnelly
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It can, it is an electric valve. It sits on the frame rail just above the left engine mount.
Any special way to test if it's working properly?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

You need to scan the faults on the car. Without it, everyone is just guessing. Also, reading the water temp on the gauge doesn't give an accurate reading—you need to use an obd tool with live data.
Appreciate 0