E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Dynavin N6 product sounds encouraging

07-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #221
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

sort of....if you are removing the factory head unit you are removing the source of the fiber optic signal.....so you wont need a MOST converter of any kind...at either end....just connect the dynavin direct to your amps/processor with RCAs. You are in the standard car audio world at that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #222
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Jeff I am still a little unclear on what output you would use with a hifi amp. When coded to hifi the oem head unit puts out 0-5V flat analog signal, so that is what the oem amp is used to seeing. This signal also works fine with aftermarket amps as many on this board can attest. So can the harness output be used with the oem amp or would people be better off using the rca's? (0-4V). I am wondering if the harness outputs will be too much power, amplified at the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #223
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
sort of....if you are removing the factory head unit you are removing the source of the fiber optic signal.....so you wont need a MOST converter of any kind...at either end....just connect the dynavin direct to your amps/processor with RCAs. You are in the standard car audio world at that point.
So I could effectively replace the amp in the trunk with an aftermarket or would I need to run wired from the HU into the trunk or are you saying the existing cabling would work? If so, I'm sold!!

Is there some kind of pre-order list on these beauties?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #224
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Goggly:
by your questioning, I'm assuming you have Logic 7 with stock amp?

If so, that means, yes, you basically can replace the factory audio with that headunit which will wire directly to an aftermarket amp via RCA. Also, since the headunit includes a somewhat less powerful version of an MS-8, you're in no huge rush to get a processor, since the headunit also has some sound processing built in (Time alignment is one feature for example)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #225
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Goggly:

If so, that means, yes, you basically can replace the factory audio with that headunit which will wire directly to an aftermarket amp via RCA. Also, since the headunit includes a somewhat less powerful version of an MS-8, you're in no huge rush to get a processor, since the headunit also has some sound processing built in (Time alignment is one feature for example)
That's right yes, I have Logic 7 Top Hifi. This sounds great! I want it noooow!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #226
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Jeff I am still a little unclear on what output you would use with a hifi amp. When coded to hifi the oem head unit puts out 0-5V flat analog signal, so that is what the oem amp is used to seeing. This signal also works fine with aftermarket amps as many on this board can attest. So can the harness output be used with the oem amp or would people be better off using the rca's? (0-4V). I am wondering if the harness outputs will be too much power, amplified at the head unit.
The speaker level output on the harness is fine. And in fact if we determine after some installs that the level is too high it can be turned down with the "hifi amp"
setting that you asked about earlier. So in other words.....just plug it in and dont worry about it. Leave the RCA outputs for aftermarket amps only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyamnesiac View Post
So I could effectively replace the amp in the trunk with an aftermarket or would I need to run wired from the HU into the trunk or are you saying the existing cabling would work? If so, I'm sold!!

Not quite following here.....

-if you are leaving the system otherwise stock....plug the dynavin in either via the dynavins included wire harness or with the MOST adapter box in between (in L7,'top hifi' systems) and you are done.

-if you are going with an aftermarket amp, processor, whatever.... regardless of what stock system you have, you will run RCAs, plug them into the aftermarket equipment. Standard car audio 101, nothing special or vehicle specific here.

I should clarify.....the dynavin is not unusual in its outputs, it is exactly like any other higher end head unit, it has 4 channels of speaker outputs and 6 RCA outputs. The only thing that is unusual compared to a "regular" aftermarket head unit is the wire harness is already put together for you AND the speaker outputs have a level setting (hifi amp) that allows you to lower their output to better match certain oem amps.

The MOST box exists outside of this.....it is plugged into the dynavins RCAs on one side and the cars fiber optic MOST cable on the other side.

Clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Goggly:

Im not sure I would compare the dynavin to an MS-8, even with your caveat...the MS-8 is about 1000 times more powerful ..but yes the dynavin has time alignment which is a substantial feature if you know what to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #227
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyamnesiac View Post
Yes, email me, my website is in my signature.

Im getting a limited quantity, I have a contact list going so everyone who is on that list will get notified when we start taking orders. At that point it will be first come, first serve.

But once we get past the initial rush this will be a regular stocking item for us. I expect it will be popular around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #228
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Is it just me, or did the price say $699 and now its $749 on your website?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #229
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
Is it just me, or did the price say $699 and now its $749 on your website?
haha....you caught that....

Yes there has been an across the board price adjustment...BUT for you guys here on the forums there will be a coupon code, so the final price will remain the same. Note my new sig....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #230
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Awesome!

Quote:
haha....you caught that....

Yes there has been an across the board price adjustment...BUT for you guys here on the forums there will be a coupon code, so the final price will remain the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #231
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Im not sure I would compare the dynavin to an MS-8, even with your caveat...the MS-8 is about 1000 times more powerful ..but yes the dynavin has time alignment which is a substantial feature if you know what to do with it.
No, not really saying that it would replace an MS-8... more that for those (and I see it commonly anyways) are going to say "I only have $XXX.XX to spend..." while it wouldn't be an ideal substitute, it would still provide some level of sound processing for the folk that aren't doing it all at once.

A 5 band EQ, time alignment and a flatter cleaner sound source might be all that some customers might care for(afford?).

I imagine that can look like a cost savings for some depending on what they want done.

For instance:
Stock head unit + cleansweep + amp + speakers
vs
Dynavin N6 + amp + speakers

Might be configured (depending on the equipment) to be within a couple hundred dollars of each other with a truckload more features compared to staying stock head unit, cleansweep, amp, speakers, when you consider the addition of those aforementioned + sound processing(however weak it is), navigation, bluetooth, etc. all rolled into that package.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #232
jeffb335
Rep

Yes, that is accurate.

And I would add to that the most obvious upgrade:

vs
Dynavin + nothing

Making the most out of stock speakers and amp with time alignment and a better EQ. Not to mention all the extra functions. (MOST people by far will end up in this category)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #233
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I wonder if it make the Hi Fi sound better?

I wonder if it make the Hi Fi sound better?
If you still run it thought the Hi Fi amp and stock speakers.
I would think it would. Does the Harness that comes with it
allow for running the pre amp signals to the Hi Fi amp instead
of the speaker outs.
Or since the Hi Fi amp is wimpy as amps go would it sound better
the other way or some combination of speaker outs and Hi Fi amp
channels.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #234
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Does the Harness that comes with it
allow for running the pre amp signals to the Hi Fi amp instead
of the speaker outs.
Or since the Hi Fi amp is wimpy as amps go would it sound better
the other way or some combination of speaker outs and Hi Fi amp
channels.
No, you guys are all overthinking this....

The outputs from the stock head unit are essentially speaker level outputs....so the stock amp is set up to take that kind of input. That is what the dynavin is outputting, that is how everything is wired, so it will all work fine. Keep in mind, Dynavin has had E9X units for 3 years now, no issues with working with the non L7 oem amp. The N6 model may be new but the wiring and amp integration isnt. No need to reinvent the wheel here.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #235
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Jeff - to put Ctuna and myself at rest, as well as others. What might be beneficial is to measure the voltage of the speaker level outputs with say a 1000hz tone in the normal and the hifi amp mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #236
jeffb335
Rep

You guys are wearing me out....first I had to clean out my glove compartment and now this...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #237
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Stock hi fi is set up for 5 volt signals

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #238
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Jeff - to put Ctuna and myself at rest, as well as others. What might be beneficial is to measure the voltage of the speaker level outputs with say a 1000hz tone in the normal and the hifi amp mode.

Ok, here is what I got, 1khz, 5V corresponds to about 80% on the dynavins volume scale....so thats a pretty damn good match and explains why its never come up in the last 3 years that the dynavin has been out for the E9X.

Max output at 100% measured about 13V, Turning on the "hifi amp" setting drops the max output to about .5V.......that puts it into the right range for the E46 and E39....but too low for the E9X.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-15-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #239
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
You guys are wearing me out....first I had to clean out my glove compartment and now this...
You prolly needed to clean it out anyway - I just gave you a mission (excuse)
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #240
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, here is what I got, 1khz, 5V corresponds to about 80% on the dynavins volume scale....so thats a pretty damn good match and explains why its never come up in the last 3 years that the dynavin has been out for the E9X.

Max output at 100% measured about 13V, Turning on the "hifi amp" setting drops the max output to about .5V.......that puts it into the right range for the E46 and E39....but too low for the E9X.
Thanks Jeff, don't you feel better now! BTW Jeff - what head unit did you do that testing with e46 or e90? It would be curious is Dynavin's 'hifi amp' setting for the e90 dropped output to 0.5V, which would be totally useless in an e9x hifi system.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 07-16-2014 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #241
ih8sno14
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i e90

Pumped up about this unit! Suddenly my piggy bank has a worried look on it's face.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #242
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

haha same here. I'm trying devise ways I can tell the wife (or be allowed!)

We are planning a road trip soon, so i'm thinking ... it's an investment in our vacation! 23 hours total driving in 10 days... that's a lot of music made much more pleasurable...right!? :-)
Appreciate 0