E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help Replacing DPF Differential Pressure Sensor

10-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Help Replacing DPF Differential Pressure Sensor

Any tips on replacing the differential pressure sensor from those who have done this?

I have removed the engine cover, microfilter cowl and the airbox. I can see the sensor and I can get my fingers on it but barely.

Not sure what type of screw is holding it on as I can only see it at an oblique angle, not straight on. Bigger concern is how to release the wired connector; I see a white tab on the connector but it does not slide easily. I suspect I should be sliding the tab outward away from the body of the sensor, but not entirely sure.

I am also concerned that I will not be able to get the pressure tubes off the old sensor as well as on to the new sensor; there is not much room in there and the tubes are not that long.

Would it be easier to do from the bottom after removing the underside trays?

Can the DDE cables be moved to get some more room?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Yozh has pretty good (actually very good) thread on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
ChiDiddy
Rep
Drives: pop smoke

I think there's like 3-4 screws holding the entire vacuum block, the big black plastic thing. Once removed u wiggle it out and have easy access to that sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
Any tips on replacing the differential pressure sensor from those who have done this?
This may help you at least to see where it is located and that there is one torx screw holding it.

DDE cables can not be moved much.
Don't go from the bottom, you will not see much as it is fairly high up.
You may wish to try removing the differential pressure tubes off the DPF connections if the ones on the sensor are tight, which is a good thing, really.
For the connector, you slide the grey tab towards you, then push down and pull towards you. They are similar to the connectors on the pressure converters if my memory serves me well.

If you can't unscrew the sensor, then you have a good excuse to yank the whole thing and treat it to some new vacuum lines and may be pressure converters.

But, why do you think that your sensor is dead?

Name:  IMG_6999.JPG
Views: 11185
Size:  787.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
But, why do you think that your sensor is dead?

Attachment 1510456
Thanks for the picture Yozh. As for why I am replacing; using DWR's custom PIDs in Torque I monitor DPF Differential pressure and that "gauge" will frequently "peg" to maximum value of 95 PSI for a few seconds. While my car always did this pegging thing (I have been using DWR's Torque PIDS since he first published them - thanks again to DWR), it was much more infrequent 6 months ago. It might have done it when cold but then would stop once engine was heated up. Now it does it fairly constantly. Currently I might be able to go two or three minutes before max value on the gauge is at 95 after resetting max while driving while before I could go half an hour without seeing 95 recorded as max. Coincident with this increased pegging frequency I have seen a precipitous drop in DPF regen frequency; I used to see about 275 miles fairly typically and now I am lucky to see 170 miles and often around 100 miles.

Not sure the DPF Differential is the problem, but it was cheap enough to give it a shot (so long as I can actually get it installed!).

I will unbolt the vacuum block next time I try and see if that gives me enough freedom. I was hoping someone would confirm working from underneath; at 6'4" and 275 pounds, my arms are a lot longer than my hands are small/dainty.
Appreciate 0