E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Reducing smoke on a 330D

09-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #23
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Definitely BWchiptune. Jason certainly knows his stuff when it comes to mapping and dpfs.
I travelled to him from Bridgwater in Somerset to get my 330d mapped simply because of his reviews and the fact he travels the world tuning BMW's. I opted for an all round map instead of going for the aggressive option and my car is now up to 317bhp and 673nm with the dpf still in place.
Check out Bimmerforums UK. He's on there and is constantly telling everyone you simply don't need to remove a dpf ever. I thought about getting rid of mine, but glad I read up on it and listened to what Jason has said about them.
Good to know you found Jason, ive never used him yet myself but it doesnt take long to hear about BWChiptune on bimmerforums. Its amazing that you got 317HP with the DPF.. i thought that would have been the best case scenario going for a performance remap and no DPF. Is yours LCI or Pre-LCI? Also, beings as your living proof of a remap with a DPF have you managed to keep track of your soot levels and regenerations? Most people would assume the DPF with the remap would cause the DPF to clog really easy and cause DPF regenration issues as a result of the increased power so i was just interested if you could chime in on what its been like?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I have a bluefin remap on my 325d lci and the soot levels raise no higher than before I had the remap. The regenerations are at the same frequency too. The bluefin is supposed to increase power from 197 to 250 bhp and torque from 400 to 520Nm. So a decent power increase but no detrimental effect on DPF.

I use the Carley app to monitor my spot levels and regens.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #25
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Good to know you found Jason, ive never used him yet myself but it doesnt take long to hear about BWChiptune on bimmerforums. Its amazing that you got 317HP with the DPF.. i thought that would have been the best case scenario going for a performance remap and no DPF. Is yours LCI or Pre-LCI? Also, beings as your living proof of a remap with a DPF have you managed to keep track of your soot levels and regenerations? Most people would assume the DPF with the remap would cause the DPF to clog really easy and cause DPF regenration issues as a result of the increased power so i was just interested if you could chime in on what its been like?
Mine is a 2010 lci with 85k on the clock. The remap was done back in January and since then I've had no issues, so I can only assume that everything is working as it should be. I did look at the soot levels not long after it was done and they were still low. I have Carly so when I get 5 mins I'll have a look and see what the levels are like now and when the last regen was.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #26
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Dpf's are complete pita but i'd still rather have one than be belching out smoke. My 2006 330d on 130k miles. Emapped 30k miles ago. Kept the dpf but resolved all the faults. Because of the 2x20mile trips i normally only do per week, the dpf gets blocked easily...also seems to be more often since i deflapped it (but at least theres no more kak dribbling down the inlet side of the engine block). I have to take it for a long run and then clear the errors so it can do an active regen. I cant quite seem to get my exhaust gas temps continuously over 240c even driving at mway speeds with electrical consumers on so it doesnt do a passive slow oxidation. But did 340 miles mway trip yday...got it to do an active regen...now idling happily at 7mb exhaust back pressure..oh and 52mpg
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #27
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 2010 lci with 85k on the clock. The remap was done back in January and since then I've had no issues, so I can only assume that everything is working as it should be. I did look at the soot levels not long after it was done and they were still low. I have Carly so when I get 5 mins I'll have a look and see what the levels are like now and when the last regen was.
Brilliant, would be good to see
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #28
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Dpf's are complete pita but i'd still rather have one than be belching out smoke. My 2006 330d on 130k miles. Emapped 30k miles ago. Kept the dpf but resolved all the faults. Because of the 2x20mile trips i normally only do per week, the dpf gets blocked easily...also seems to be more often since i deflapped it (but at least theres no more kak dribbling down the inlet side of the engine block). I have to take it for a long run and then clear the errors so it can do an active regen. I cant quite seem to get my exhaust gas temps continuously over 240c even driving at mway speeds with electrical consumers on so it doesnt do a passive slow oxidation. But did 340 miles mway trip yday...got it to do an active regen...now idling happily at 7mb exhaust back pressure..oh and 52mpg
Just out of curiousity, you say "kept the dpf but resolved all faults" but then later say "i have to take it for a long run and and then clear the errors so it can do an active regen" what faults are those concidering you rectified them before? Also, did you get before and after dyno results as many people are concerned of conaiderate performance loss compared to a dpf delete map... after hearing BWChiptunes results it seems its not the case at all so would he good to know yours as well. Must be good to know you can pop your car to any MOT garage, theyre really cracking down now haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #29
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

MrSweet1991, i used to only do reasonably long trips in this car but when i changed to short trips the dpf started erroring.
I figured out that it was not active regening but due to the previously long trips it never caused an issue as it was still passively slow oxidising. I renewed thermostats, exhaust gas temp sensors, glow plugs.
Got a c110 scanner to monitor and clear errors. Got it active regening again, but now have deflapped and it seems to definately block the dpf sooner.
As soon as the ecu logs the 480a error for partial dpf block it will not active regen. I can't force a regen with the c110, only clear codes logged. Thus the ecu will not even try to active regen for the max driving profile of around 250miles as clearing the codes dummies the ecu to believe there is no need for a regen...yet as soon as it generates a code...it will not regen.
A bit of error loop in the dpf regen cycles program logic me thinks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Well this may break the internet but i use my diesel for mostly a 4 mile commute ..... and the DPF is fine and its remapped to 290bhp and deflapped,
its an N57 if it makes a difference

i use it for longer runs but nothing huge
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #31
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
MrSweet1991, i used to only do reasonably long trips in this car but when i changed to short trips the dpf started erroring.
I figured out that it was not active regening but due to the previously long trips it never caused an issue as it was still passively slow oxidising. I renewed thermostats, exhaust gas temp sensors, glow plugs.
Got a c110 scanner to monitor and clear errors. Got it active regening again, but now have deflapped and it seems to definately block the dpf sooner.
As soon as the ecu logs the 480a error for partial dpf block it will not active regen. I can't force a regen with the c110, only clear codes logged. Thus the ecu will not even try to active regen for the max driving profile of around 250miles as clearing the codes dummies the ecu to believe there is no need for a regen...yet as soon as it generates a code...it will not regen.
A bit of error loop in the dpf regen cycles program logic me thinks
Thats great information to know, and i can see the problem with the regeneration and you could probably do with the Carly app or ISTA+ or INPA so that you could clear the codes immediately followed by a regen request which some people refer to that procedure as a "forced regen". It is interesting that Andy (the guy who posted after you) mentioned that he has no issues so far but i believe he has the newer N57 while we have the M57.. it would be interesting to know if its just you who has the relatively quick dpf partial block or whether the M57 bungs quicker than the N57.. this is why i thought it would ve interesting to probe a bit more into how peoples cars are with the remaps with the dpf.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #32
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Well this may break the internet but i use my diesel for mostly a 4 mile commute ..... and the DPF is fine and its remapped to 290bhp and deflapped,
its an N57 if it makes a difference

i use it for longer runs but nothing huge
Thats very interesting, and i believe the other chap has the M57 like me.. I find it strange though that your DPF works so well given the short commutes.. its like two bad things for a DPF but youre sailing through it haha.

So anyway, do you monitor anything like soot level and exhaust temperatures.. its just interesting to compare but this is quite interesting as it seems the remap and DPF work quite well which reinforces what Jason at BWChiptune has been saying. Also, how long have you had the remap?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 03:50 AM   #33
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Thats very interesting, and i believe the other chap has the M57 like me.. I find it strange though that your DPF works so well given the short commutes.. its like two bad things for a DPF but youre sailing through it haha.

So anyway, do you monitor anything like soot level and exhaust temperatures.. its just interesting to compare but this is quite interesting as it seems the remap and DPF work quite well which reinforces what Jason at BWChiptune has been saying. Also, how long have you had the remap?
it doesn't take long for the DPF to start regaining i've found, 5 miles or less and i've noticed it doing it when i come to a stop. (interrupted it)

i don't monitor but probably can do, i have 510 reader.
for example last night i did a 20mile round trip to the train station ect, id say i do a trip about that range once a week?
but monday to friday its the 3 mile commute once or twice a day and i don't baby it, my overall average is 37mpg at the minute but thats purely due to short trips.(and me booting it)
on longer trips its into the 40's easily. (trip to france )

i was recently getting some swirl flap codes intermittently so remove them (newer round ball shape ones on the N57) and cleaned the intake.
i got about 1/3rd a cup of soot out of the intake, i was expecting alot mote tbh and it was actually fairly clean. number 6 was probably the worst and that was because it sees the most oil from the breather.
but at 80k miles i expect that if not alot worse on a diesel.

remap was in FEB about 7k miles ago, it was a custom one.

i think coolant temp plays a major role in them, i do check the hidden menu now and again and check for codes regularly.

maybe i'm just lucky? my EGR is still fully functional, that aids with regens so i'm told.

what do you want me to look at, MB at idle?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #34
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats great information to know, and i can see the problem with the regeneration and you could probably do with the Carly app or ISTA+ or INPA so that you could clear the codes immediately followed by a regen request which some people refer to that procedure as a "forced regen". It is interesting that Andy (the guy who posted after you) mentioned that he has no issues so far but i believe he has the newer N57 while we have the M57.. it would be interesting to know if its just you who has the relatively quick dpf partial block or whether the M57 bungs quicker than the N57.. this is why i thought it would ve interesting to probe a bit more into how peoples cars are with the remaps with the dpf.
The c110 works well and is super simple to use. The dpf was very blocked last year at 65+mb at idle and an active regen still brought it right back down to around 10mb. As long as i do a longish trip every 2months which for me i would have civered about 300miles only...and clear the 480a/481a dpf codes...the active regen kicks in...all is good. The deflap has lost a good chunk of torque below 1.5krpms but revs quicker. Also pretty sure the deflap makes more soot at low speeds but this is quite well documented.
I rekon the n57 engines have been designed with dpfs in mind so work much better with short trips.
But diesel is diesel...my wifes seat leon fr with 184ps ...after 1 week of short trips, its constantly trying to regen...the fan sounding like a jet plane on take off even when engine stopped
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just checked using Carly and my soot mass is 13.14g and my average regen interval is 460km. Just for information I do quite a lot of short journeys. It only takes me 10-15 Mins to get to work. My car probably gets a few good runs a month.

Last edited by nick46; 09-11-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #36
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Update - Replacement used DPF has arrived. Should be fitted this week, not sure if I should do anything to it before fitting as obviously internally I don't know the condition.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 02:11 AM   #37
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Update - Replacement used DPF has arrived. Should be fitted this week, not sure if I should do anything to it before fitting as obviously internally I don't know the condition.
yeh,,as long as it does not look like its been welded back up
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #38
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Update - Car passed MOT today with the DPF back in. Car drives fine but obviously I'm aware it will start to clog. So trying to figure out next step.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #39
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you got it sorted. Not much to figure out though, as long as you don't have any faults to prevent a regen just take it for a decent drive every now and again and it'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #40
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. Not much to figure out though, as long as you don't have any faults to prevent a regen just take it for a decent drive every now and again and it'll be fine.
Only the physical element of the DPF is done, mine had been mapped out so regen's won't happen. Might speak to BWChipTune about having it done although I will need a new main thermostat as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #41
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah I see!
Yeah Jason at BWchiptune will definitely be able to sort that for you while still maintaining really good power.
Be sure to keep us updated on how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #42
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Didn't read everything you guys wrote here but... my car has no DPF (pre LCI) and smoked like a chimney when I bought it. But after I cleaned out the manifold and did the EGR delete the soot level went down by like 95%. Only a tiny puff when reved while parked in neutral. A bit more when floored while being driven but nowhere near what it used to be.

So I'm just thinking isn't an EGR delete good for keeping the DPFs from clogging?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #43
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Mines mapped and de-dpf’d. It smokes a bit when I floor it but not when driving normally. My mates 2005 530d was having all sorts of running issues until he had the blocked dpf gutted and mapped out. It then smoked like a chimney just about all the time so last weekend I removed his EGR which was pretty clogged up with soot and the valve seemed seized. We free’d up the valve and cleaned it out with carb n choke cleaner and now it an awful lot better, just a bit of smoke when he floors it as expected but not when driving it normally.
Check your EGR’s guys.

Last edited by nomiS330d; 10-07-2018 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Add content
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #44
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

My EGR is clean as a whistle, although I'm sure my inlet manifold is in a terrible state. The issue is if you read the MOT test details the car is revved high and that's when the smoke occurs. I guess for many people it will be how strict the MOT tester is.
Appreciate 0