E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Modern Porsche Buyers....

07-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Someone in the market for a good affordable car without any associated badge snobbery may well have done their research though.

Having had an Audi sales guy try to tell me that an S line was the same as a TTS, a BMW salesman tell me that nobody bothers with the petrol engines these days, another Audi guy trying to convince me that an A5 with blackline trim was only available on black cars and a Mercedes salesman telling me that the 350, (that I subsequently ordered elsewhere), was out of production, I would suggest that the customers' knowledge might arguably be better, but the sales force seem to get no better regardless of the marque or the perceived prestige!
Absolutely. According to him they would sometimes have done research on how much the car cost and the incredible warranties with such cars but absolutely never knew anything about models, engines or anything else along those lines.

However, by way of some strange twist in the tail of this thread. The most knowledgeable salesman I've ever dealt with was in a Kia garage. He was a die hard petrol head and I sat and talked to him for about 2 hours about every type of car apart from Kia's.
      07-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Hey, no problem with them - they are my friends remember!

Nothing to do with driving either.

Just envious and a little sick that they have 95K to buy a 'drivers' car I would love, but that they know nothing about it's intended and true potential.

And all they want to do is show off their fake tan with the roof down...

...which is cool too.
I understand now. The Green Eyed Monster rears his head.

It's among the seven deadly sins for a reason. Better that you vented here than acted out in some other way. They are, as you say, your friends, so you did the right thing.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Well, you can't deny that earning that kind of money doesn't provide options; it does. But it can be a double edged sword. I have several partners in my firm who who earn similar sums and they may as well earn $20K/year. They live right up to the limit of their means, although they do save some money and they keep enough cash around to meet the partnership requirements. Sure, they buy a lot of nice stuff and they do have a nice home, but they are just as payday to payday as folks earning far less. The only real difference is that whereas folks earning less are concerned about the next $300 bill payment, my partners are worried about the next $5000 bill.

Personally, I can't live like that. The stress would kill me. Even though it has its uses and I've carried it in the past, the simple fact is, I just don't like debt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #26
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

wallsmk2. Pics please.
Here she is getting a spit and polish
http://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk/fe...6-gt-detailing
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #27
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
OMG. That deserves a thread on it's own
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Hmm, very lovely indeed.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

What is a TOWIE please?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #30
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
What is a TOWIE please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Only_Way_Is_Essex
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #31
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
beautiful beautiful car.
I bet Palmnuts hasn't had one of these!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #32
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
It is a different world for some out there. Did anyone watch "Dirty Britain" last night?

A chap had set-up a car cleaning business in a Knightsbridge underground car part and was charging minted customers from £1500 to £8k for a clean/full valet.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #33
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I'm having a crisis here, that is utterly stunning. Roger is correct, it certainly does deserve a thread all of it's own.

Am I correct in thinking there was a thread about this detail on detailingworld? I can't remember if it was there or somewhere else but i have definitely seen these pics/the car before as it is such a memorable colour.
      08-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

Not the best pictures, but here's a few from the recent Ferrari pow wow at Blenheim Palace. The colour is pretty rare, I know of a GTS in the UK in the same Azzuro Metallizzato. As it's not red I always get asked what it is. She was restored about 2 years ago but only recently had the time to shake her down. Since then the starter motor and alternator have been replaced for uprated units to make life easier. Hot starts used to require a lot of patience.

As you probably know it's a smallish 2.4L V6, produces about 200 bhp so not blisteringly quick: 6-7 sec 0-60 but point it into a corner and it'll quite happily oblige, being mid engine and only about 1000 Kg. Sounds like a snorting pig, very loud and puts modern stuff to shame. She can be a bit of a princess when cold or too hot though, and although a simple engine, care setting up the carbs and timing is needed and can be bothersome.

There's obviously no power steering and the wheel is small, it's a big wallop of oil, metal and fat rubber. You can taste petrol for a few hours after a good drive so the experience lingers and never gets tired. It's quite depressing when I get straight back in the bmw...progress? not sure.

The Dino used to be looked down on by the Ferrari fan boys, but recently there has a been a massive surge in interest, prices have gone crazy and where before it didn't make financial sense to restore them, now you'd make quite a bit of money on the old barn snotter.

Dinos by -hobo-, on Flickr

Dino by -hobo-, on Flickr

Rear by -hobo-, on Flickr

F40 by -hobo-, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #35
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
It is a different world for some out there. Did anyone watch "Dirty Britain" last night?

A chap had set-up a car cleaning business in a Knightsbridge underground car part and was charging minted customers from £1500 to £8k for a clean/full valet.
All made up for good tv viewing, he didn't seem the brightest bulb in the house.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Definitely requires a thread. This is a truly beautiful car

We all know people that have too much money and are more than happy to throw it down the drain. Sometimes I wish they would let me be the middleman to make sure they don't get ripped off! But then again, they won't miss the money...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Not the best pictures, but here's a few from the recent Ferrari pow wow at Blenheim Palace. The colour is pretty rare, I know of a GTS in the UK in the same Azzuro Metallizzato. As it's not red I always get asked what it is. She was restored about 2 years ago but only recently had the time to shake her down. Since then the starter motor and alternator have been replaced for uprated units to make life easier. Hot starts used to require a lot of patience.

As you probably know it's a smallish 2.4L V6, produces about 200 bhp so not blisteringly quick: 6-7 sec 0-60 but point it into a corner and it'll quite happily oblige, being mid engine and only about 1000 Kg. Sounds like a snorting pig, very loud and puts modern stuff to shame. She can be a bit of a princess when cold or too hot though, and although a simple engine, care setting up the carbs and timing is needed and can be bothersome.

There's obviously no power steering and the wheel is small, it's a big wallop of oil, metal and fat rubber. You can taste petrol for a few hours after a good drive so the experience lingers and never gets tired. It's quite depressing when I get straight back in the bmw...progress? not sure.

The Dino used to be looked down on by the Ferrari fan boys, but recently there has a been a massive surge in interest, prices have gone crazy and where before it didn't make financial sense to restore them, now you'd make quite a bit of money on the old barn snotter.
Know of any barns that have one?

I have always been a fan of the Dino ever since i saw a picture of a yellow one when i was still in short trousers. The memory still sticks with me. The lines are just timeless, more modern looking than most of the 1980s offerings.

I know what you mean about progress and depression. Nowhere near the same level but when i drive my little 205 GTi it feels like having all my senses suddenly turned up several levels compared to the BMW.
      08-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
for £95k... I'd add another £5k and get the GT3...

or at least get the Carrera S....
i'd save £50,000 and buy an amg 6.3
Appreciate 0