E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone know this guy on craigslist?

07-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

Anyone know this guy on craigslist?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4499873735.html

I am not sure how to post the ad/link, hope this works.
Their is a ad to walnut blast for $250 in Anaheim Hills
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

i believe he recently posted a thread on here about his service. but he's definitely not an active member on here. I remember his post count at the time was less than 100.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek View Post
i believe he recently posted a thread on here about his service. but he's definitely not an active member on here. I remember his post count at the time was less than 100.
That's not true. Have you gotten work done by him before? His name is Rob.

He's an active member, but not a paying sponsor. I've gotten work done from him and he knows what hes doing. Has all the equipment for walnut blasting and will even let you watch while he does it which was my main reason for going with him. Give him a text/call. N54tech has some pictures of cars he has worked on (under the California regional section). He just recently started doing this for the public from what he told me. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about my experience I would be happy to answer them.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
philee
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport

Is this needed on the N52?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
rooringhusky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philee View Post
Is this needed on the N52?
Definately not needed on the N52. Just on Direct Injection engines like N54, N55, N20, etc. All the new BMW engines need it but not the N52 since its traditional Port Injection - no need to fork money out if it won't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

I wouldn't trust ANYONE who works in a home garage despite how many times or experience they have in walnut blasting. This is a sensitive area in the engine compartment and you never know what can go wrong. I am even hesitant on taking it to an indy shop. I would rather take it to a certified BMW dealer and cough up the bigger bucks. Don't cheap yourself out, you have a BMW and its expected these services will be a PITA to pay.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
SpaceE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 92 space grey coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Flossin View Post
I wouldn't trust ANYONE who works in a home garage despite how many times or experience they have in walnut blasting. This is a sensitive area in the engine compartment and you never know what can go wrong. I am even hesitant on taking it to an indy shop. I would rather take it to a certified BMW dealer and cough up the bigger bucks. Don't cheap yourself out, you have a BMW and its expected these services will be a PITA to pay.
i wouldnt say all that, theres plenty of people that do great work out of a garage...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceE92 View Post
i wouldnt say all that, theres plenty of people that do great work out of a garage...
Thats true, but dealers are more expensive because your also paying for liability. If something goes wrong when taking it to a garage, your pretty much screwed
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
SoCal35
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

I actually went and saw Rob last weekend to clean my valves. He did an amazing job, and is a great guy. For those who haven't used his services, please don't be jump to conclusions. Yes, he does work out of his garage, but he made me feel at home the whole time and was very transparent with what he was doing. He made sure to call me over throughout all the steps bc he knew how much time and money I have into my car. He found several clips and bolts that were broken along the way from my previous tuner, and informed me exactly what I needed if he didn't have the parts on him. It's amazing how many parts and locations he has memorized on these cars. While he was doing the valves, I got bored, and decided to do some body work on my right sideskirt (which got scraped and dented) and replaced the fender turn lights. I ingeniously dropped the front right cable harness inside of the fender, and he told me exactly which bolts and rivets I needed to remove to fish it back through while still working on the valves! He’s Very knowledgeable, intelligent, and respectful guy - not your average joke artist know-it-all by any means. I could def see him having a reputable shop some day. My car has about 18k in mods on it, and obviously the induction/turbo areas have a lot of rerouting. This was very familiar to him, and he even rerouted a few lines while putting it back together, which we found were stressed. He also replaced a few vacuum lines he thought might potentially collapse under high boost upon my request. It was awesome to see how clean he got the valves when he was done! My idle is obviously smoother now as expected, and the car is more responsive. I was getting a cylinder 5 (29D1) misfire code on my BMWhat Wifi app, and a few days after the work, it went away. Also, unlike the last time the valves were done, the car started right up afterwards haha I know it's not a big deal, but it was cool to know that there wasn't a bunch of residue and shell particles left behind. He also installed a new gasket for me of course. This job is not rocket science, as most of you know. It is however very labor intensive, strains your back and legs, requires certain tools, and demands the work ethic discerning eye not to cut corners. Rob does all of those things. Highly recommend him. - Stephen
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Maximo'sE82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i, 10' 135i , 08 535ix

There is a lot of people out there that do good work on there garage. I'm a do it your self type of guy too and I've help a lot of the members here , don't knock a guy down till u give him a try , if u have the $$ for the dealer by all means go to the dealer but if you don't well they are smaller shops but they do charge a grip too then there's the last option GUYS like us that are mechanically incline
      07-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #11
E92_phil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: black 2007 335i

Guy is legit , I had him install my JB4, down pipes and intercooler. He is a great and honest guy. He works professionally out of his garage
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
sammysolis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport pkg , 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
That's not true. Have you gotten work done by him before? His name is Rob.

He's an active member, but not a paying sponsor. I've gotten work done from him and he knows what hes doing. Has all the equipment for walnut blasting and will even let you watch while he does it which was my main reason for going with him. Give him a text/call. N54tech has some pictures of cars he has worked on (under the California regional section). He just recently started doing this for the public from what he told me. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about my experience I would be happy to answer them.
Will he work on diesel engines? got a 335D 2010.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
rooringhusky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysolis View Post
Will he work on diesel engines? got a 335D 2010.
I got no clue to be honest. Shoot him a call he should be able to answer that for you better than me
      07-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
J2S2M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 m-sport

This guy seems to be a good cheap alternative to the stealership/indy shops. Thanks for sharing the info
      07-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
WaLLy350GT
Psshh!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Rob is the man! Had him do walnut blasting, brake fluid flush and an oil change on Thursday for a very fair price. He's very meticulous and explains everything that will be done to the car.

I recommend Rob and his garage work.

And that carbon buildup! Glad to see it all cleaned out. Car's running like a champ!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #16
slick714
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4499873735.html

I am not sure how to post the ad/link, hope this works.
Their is a ad to walnut blast for $250 in Anaheim Hills
Rob is a good guy. Did my walnut blasting and car runs great. Very friendly and knowledgable. Going to be having him do my vrsf intercooler next.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
E92_phil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: black 2007 335i

Just had rob do my front brakes, rotors , brake flush and collant flush.. Very satisfied with the work .. Great guy that explains everything that will go on .. Highly recommend him
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
SGe92is
custom user title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is (SpaceGrey / Coral)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Definitely recommended!!

I contacted Rob through his craigslist ad for walnut shell blasting. I recently took my car in to the dealer for a cpo fuel pump (hpfp) replacement (yeah its a 2011 and it failed) and they recommended induction cleaning for $700-$1400.

Speaking to Rob, I felt that he was very knowledgeable about this platform. So I decided to let him do the job.

When I arrived he immediately started explaining the process in depth. Everything was transparent. He offered to have me stay and watch or I could leave and come back. I decided to stay for a while and watch. He was very thorough about removing parts and keeping everything together and sorted out.

I decided to leave and run some errands while he worked. When I returned he had before and after photos to show me.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but I could immediately feel the difference in smoothness and idle quality.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring my car to Rob again, for walnut blasting or any other service.
      08-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #19
WhiteOnRed335i
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I usually dont post and just read information on e90post since I am more of a lurker. But I figured I would help out Rob since he did such a good job on my car for cheap.

I have 75,000 miles on my car and my car was due to a Walnut shell cleaning. I contacted Rob after seeing this thread since I had never seen the service for so cheap before. The first time I called him he didn't pick up so I left a voicemail and he called me back within about 5 minutes. He said he was working on another car so sometimes its hard for him to answer every call. Anyways, he told me he works from his home and answered all the questions I had. I asked him how many cars he has walnut blasted before and he said he has done over 50 cars now. I figured that was enough to convince me that he was qualified as well as all the positive reviews I read on this page and on N54tech website under the California section:

Link on N54tech

I set up an appointment with him and told him I wanted new manifold gaskets which he said he carries in stock. I went today (Friday) morning for the appointment at about 8am and he was accommodating with the early time. I chatted with him for a bit about mods and our cars while he removed all the parts for the job: I saw him take off the Intake, Chargepipe, Blow-off Valve, Manifold, and probably a few other things I am missing. He was careful to take off all the parts and also organized them nicely in the garage while he did the walnut blasting. I stayed to see the first 2 cylinder get cleaned and they look brand new. I was kind of surprised how good they looked! After a while I started getting restless halfway through the job. He mentioned earlier that I can stay the entire time to watch if I wanted or drop the car off if I had a ride. I didn't have a ride but after about 1.5 hours I got a bit restless and decided to hang out with a local friend at a BJs restaurant instead of waiting the entire time. Rob was nice enough to drop me off there halfway through the job even though he didn't have to and would only add extra hassle for him to drop me off and pick me up.

Anyways, when the job was done (total of about 4 hours) he showed me a video of the valves before and after and I could tell the video was not fake since it had my car in it and he even mentioned my name during the video as well. I was also shown pictures of the cylinders and how they looked after. He was very honest about his work and I was very happy with the cost involved for the quality. I only paid $225 for the labor and an extra $25 for the cost of the new manifold gaskets. The total I paid was $250. I have never seen the Walnut cleaning service offered for that cheap so I knew I would have to jump on it given he was qualified for the job. He exceeded all my expectations and I have already discussed coming back to him for a Brake fluid flush and Transmission flush for my car next week. He was willing to hook me up on the labor for both as long as I work with him on scheduling. Very nice guy and was willing to help me out with early timing and also dropping me off to the restaurant. I tipped him an extra $10 for all the help. Anyways here is a picture I took before I left to go eat that shows how new he was able to clean them up. I wish I had a before picture but it was too difficult to take one since it was completely black inside and no lighting. Rob sent me lots of before/after pictures before I made an appointment to prove his work on past cars so if you reach out to him I know he can show you those.

Cliff Notes: Cheap but high quality. Very accommodating, nice and quick to complete the job. Did I mention cheaper than anywhere I have looked?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #20
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

Rob is a really cool and knowledgeable guy. He just did the brake fluid flush for me last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #21
Msidhu1
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 IB DCT

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [10.00]
Rob is very knowledgable guy. He is more than reasonable on prices as well. Got my walnut blasting from him last week and car runs way better than before.
Definitely recommended.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #22
gotchuckz
Bodeine Brazy™
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4 Competition xDrive

rob's legit. just got the walnut blasting done. he's honest and very knowledgeable.

Instagram
Appreciate 0