E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car interior floor soaked and dash malfunctions

11-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Exclamation Car interior floor soaked and dash malfunctions

So yesterday when I got in my E90 for Black Friday shopping, I noticed that my dash wan't functioning correctly. Speedometer wan't moving, gas mileage wan't showing up, time display was completely frozen, and worst of all, the turning signal was’t working either. I then noticed that there was a freaking pond in my driver seat and another one in the passenger seat right behind it. Both floor mats are soaking wet and it totally ruined the electrical connection. About two hours after I dried my driver seat floor (but not rear seat, I’ll explain later), the dash and turning signal are now working, but I get a yellow check engine warning light and later a yellow battery warning. How did this all happen?

Last Sunday, there was a crazy thunderstorm. Funny enough, the last time I drove my car was also on that day (4 days ago), and this is why I didn't notice it until last evening. I did close the windows (remember that I was driving and I knew what was coming) and the sunroof was closed as well. I have no idea how the water got in there and have no clue why only the left side of the car floor is wet. The rest of the interior is completely dry.

Now, the water isn’t clear. It’s actually a bit muddy, i.e. brown. However, it doesn’t smell like mud, and if the water was muddy when it got in the car in the first place, I should see some dirt near the door handle (assuming it was a windows seal’s malfunction) or other places. Instead, it kind of smells like motor oil. Also, every time I try to dry the floor with my towel, there is always new water coming up in the rear seat. By the way, towel is my only option for now since I don’t have a water vacuum or an outlet extender in my apartment. I then noticed that there is some oil on the ground where I parked before. NOW I’m very worried. Although I checked my car and there’s no leak right now, I’m simply not sure if they are related.

Anyway, I've got some problems, and I desperately need some advice. What am I supposed to do? Will everything go back to normal once it is completely dry? If so, is there anything I can do to speed up the process besides trying what I’m currently doing? If not, do I have to take it to the dealer or any local shop can do? I really feel like I should take it to the deal to do a thorough check just in case. The smell of the liquid is really not comforting. Lastly, how did the water get in there? Like, HOW?

Please give me some suggestions. I really need them now! Thanks!

I don't know how to attach pictures, so I uploaded them to OneDrive. Here's the link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cJPG
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Karbon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I would dry everything out thoroughly before doing anything else. Get some portable fans or whatever you can grab that will help dry the car up.

I would venture to say if you left the car outside during the thunderstorm you might have left the window cracked open a bit or the door may not have closed all the way.

Does the car turn over at all?

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Check the sunroof and maybe the window strip for cracks or leaks...seems strange but I would think the sunroof may have something to do with it since its on the floor of the rear seats as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Check the sunroof and maybe the window strip for cracks or leaks...seems strange but I would think the sunroof may have something to do with it since its on the floor of the rear seats as well.
I was thinking about that as well, but it is still odd. If it's the sunroof, what in the world would the rest of the car okay? Oh well, I'll test it once the car is dry. I still don't understand the oil smell though. It is like the scariest part of this weird incident. And water just keeps coming out! Man, how much water is in there and where exactly is it...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Heater core or an evaporator has a leak? Those both run into the interior underneath the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
I would dry everything out thoroughly before doing anything else. Get some portable fans or whatever you can grab that will help dry the car up.

I would venture to say if you left the car outside during the thunderstorm you might have left the window cracked open a bit or the door may not have closed all the way.

Does the car turn over at all?
The only possibility that this was caused by my oversight is the sunroof. Perhaps I didn't close it all the way. That still doesn't explain why only the left side of the car is wet though. Maybe the wind was blowing that way, but it's still very unlikely. I'm not sure what you're asking. The car still runs and I didn't notice anything weird while I was driving, but that oil smell in the water mixture is totally creepy. I won't take it out for a while since I really don't want to drive with a pond right behind me...
I guess the only thing I can do is to wait for the floor to dry up, then maybe I'll check the window strips and the sunroof. If everything checks out fine, then it has to be my oversight. Perhaps I didn't close the door or, again, the sunroof was partly open.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Could be the vapor barriers in the doors. The one in my driver rear has some leaks in it and allows water in if I park a certain way. Another thing to check. You can open the door and poor water on the seal and watch the water drain. If it comes out at the bottom of the door, the vapor barrier is good. If it leaks from the cover, the vapor barrier is bad.
      11-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

no one has mentioned it yet, water can also get in from the windshield cowling. sometimes people get a new windshield and the cowling isnt seated correctly. the cowling is the big ass plastic piece below the wiper arms. its has a rubber edge touching the windshield and a snap in seal on it's underside just below the windshield. check along the length of this rubber seal against the windshield for any gaps. you can also remove the microfilter cover and microfiler, and take a flashlight and look inside the opening on the passenger side where the ac sucks air thru the firewall. you should be able to see some vents/slats that go to the blower motor for the ac. If you have a leak, it will leak thru this area, onto the blower motor, and then the passenger floor area. when this happens the blower motor will make noise eventually as the bearings seize.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

There are numerous water passage, most obvious suspect are the sunroof evacuation gutters, the vapor barrier in the closest door, and not to forget the gutters under the hood that are prone to clog with leaves in this season. All of these may result in flooding the FRS electronic module, causing malfunction (hopefully temporary malfunction, but sometimes definitive). Check all these passage and verify they are clear of debris.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
no one has mentioned it yet, water can also get in from the windshield cowling. sometimes people get a new windshield and the cowling isnt seated correctly. the cowling is the big ass plastic piece below the wiper arms. its has a rubber edge touching the windshield and a snap in seal on it's underside just below the windshield. check along the length of this rubber seal against the windshield for any gaps. you can also remove the microfilter cover and microfiler, and take a flashlight and look inside the opening on the passenger side where the ac sucks air thru the firewall. you should be able to see some vents/slats that go to the blower motor for the ac. If you have a leak, it will leak thru this area, onto the blower motor, and then the passenger floor area. when this happens the blower motor will make noise eventually as the bearings seize.
this. after getting my vanos bolts done, the idiot tech didnt snap the seal in all the way and there was a bad thunderstorm that night. the next morning my fan was sqealing like hell. wtf?! so i took a look and he left most of it loose. i squirted some pb blaster in there to take care of the noise and snapped the cowl back in place. thank god i didnt have any leaks inside my car.