E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > [Advice] e91, phantom sports pkg

10-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
TommyServo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Yet another Taurus

[Advice] e91, phantom sports pkg

Guten Abend, Bavarians.

First time poster, long time lurker.

After driving used Tauruses into the ground throughout my 20s and well into my 30s, I find I'm at that stage of life when a man finally strikes out in search of the car he's always wanted. After months of searching, I stumble across this beauty.

It's everything I've been looking for: 328i touring, RWD, significantly low mileage, and it's even the color combo I'd probably order myself. It's missing the MT, but I've come to accept that manual e91s are a myth, like the loch ness monster. Plus, it's got the equally essential, yet elusive, sport package: seats that love to corner, a wheel that wants to turn upside down, and the suspension that god intended.

Or does it?

So I saw this baby on Sunday, called the dealer on Monday, heard what I expected - "she's in perfect condition, I can send you the PPI to prove it." I want the opinion of an independent professional before I drive 5.5 hours to see for myself (I'm in Tempe). Dealer seems like a laid back guy, and agrees to take it to a local indy (Precision Motors in Newport Beach - thanks, bimmerpost for the recommendation).

First red flag: dealer flakes. I set up the inspection for Thursday morning, car never arrives and dealer is out of the office that day. Dealer's coworker says everything was scheduled, but doesn't know why car wasn't delivered, promises to have the car delivered first thing Friday morning. That's tomorrow. We'll see.

Second red flag (maybe): I refresh the page that's been open on my laptop since Sunday, and low and behold, the price has been dropped by $3000. Really? When you've spoken on the phone every day this week with a buyer who's interested enough to drop $200 to have it inspected, and then drive out as soon as he possibly can. Really? (I mean, I'm not complaining, but, really?)

Third (nit-picky) red flag: it's listed as a 2012, but e91s ended with 2011, right? She was built September 2011, so she's a 2011, right?

Fourth red flag (which has brought me to you, oh oracle of autos): I'm starting to suspect the dealer's write-up is full of shit. It begins: "NAVIGATION! POWER HEATED SEATS! SPORT PACKAGE!" I'm looking at that dash, and I don't see a navigation screen. It's not above the climate controls, and there's no ugly dashboard bubble for it to reside in. So I run the VIN (WBAUT9C50CA192150) through a decoder (bmwvin.com). No navigation listed... and WTF!, no sport package! Shouldn't that show up in the VIN, along with every other included option? (Don't really care about the Nav, do care about the sport pkg. Either way... red flag.)

Well, what'dya think?

Is this little lady as good as she's advertised? Would be nice to know before I drag my other little lady and her Q5 on a two day road trip.

Thanking you in advance...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Murphyslaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 330d

I don't if things are different across the pond but to me that looks like a normal SE with a brown leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
TommyServo
Registered
Rep

Plot thickens

Just got off the phone with the mechanic. Codes checked out clean, mechanically the car looks sound. However, the front bumper, fenders, and hood have been repainted. Hood repaint wasn't done well, either. Engine belly pan has also been replaced. He doesn't see any trauma or repair work to any mounting points, engine components, or frame to suggest a substantial front end collision. Either this car was in a very light collision, or it picked up a lifetime of rock strikes in its first four years.

Dealer has assured me several times over the phone, "accident free, nothing repainted." Also, mechanic confirmed that this car doesn't have any components of the sport pkg, or the sports suspension (or navigation, but it does have the premium pkg).

While I'm relishing bringing all of this with me if I decide to make the drive and hammer out a bargain, I'm a little skeeved to deal further with this dealership. At best they're careless. At worst, dishonest.

What would you do? Would you walk away at this point on principle?

Price is ball park, condition is right, mileage is ideal. Dealer is... what, your typical used car dealer, maybe?

Aside from all this, I'm a little wary of making the drive just to place myself over a barrel for this guy. He knows if I walk, it's a 6 hour drive home empty handed. I was thinking of haggling before hand, then getting an option contract for the price (if he's willing to deal) before making the trek. Then I can still walk, and I'm out maybe another $50.

I know a lot of you guys traveled to buy your dream car. Any of you use an option contract?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
TommyServo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyslaw View Post
I don't if things are different across the pond but to me that looks like a normal SE with a brown leather seats.
Murphys Law: if a listing is too good to be true...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I'd walk.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
martinlag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 M-Sport and F30 M-Sport

On the Model Year question, my E91 is also a Sept. 2011 build but carries a "2012" designation.

But yeah, there are a ton of things that don't line up with that one. Keep looking; mine has 17k miles and the M-Sport package - they do exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

walk away. Find one with a sport package - they exist. Maybe you'll even find your manual! I have one, but it doesn't have a sport package (didn't exist on the xi).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Sorry to get in here late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyServo View Post

Third (nit-picky) red flag: it's listed as a 2012, but e91s ended with 2011, right? She was built September 2011, so she's a 2011, right?
No.

It does not matter when the car was produced.

Every year car makers ship next year units in Q3 or Q4. Some new cars even get next year designation in Q1 or Q2 of the prior year.

The actual year is in the VIN, 8th to the last digit or 10th from the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyServo View Post
VIN (WBAUT9C50CA192150) through a decoder (bmwvin.com).
In this case it's a C which is a 2012 model year.

A $3k price drop isnt shady.

It was probably at the end of their 90 days on their floorplan financing so they were itching to let it go a week or so before they shipped it off to auction.

Dealers don't want to pay those curtailment payments.

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 12-28-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0