E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Base stereo to HiFi recoding success?

09-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon20 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 06 e90 325i and just got Alpine retrofit installed by BMW.
The kit is good but its really boomy.

I have idrive with Business Nav and looking to code it to hifi. Is there any one that can provide any help on how I can do this or point me in the right direction. I am really new to the coding side.

Thanks
For now, you can try and change the switch position on the amp.

Technical thread

I am not sure if business nav can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #24
ionofchios
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d 2009

Hi guys,

I have 2009 e91 with business nav. I’ve upgraded the front speakers with BLAM’s upgrade kit (new midrange speakers in the doors and tweeters in the corners). I noticed that the rear speakers, which are still stock, sound really compressed and low in volume compared to the fronts.

So, I added #676 to CAS and NFRM VOs, using NCSexpert, and I’ve been mucking around trying to code MASK to flatten out the balance and remove the weird compression on the rears. Today, I seemed to get something to work. I used NCSdummy to switch all the ‘stereo’ options over to ‘hifi’ in my MASK config that seemed to have anything to do with audio, or volume, or phasing. The end result is that I have to turn the volume up a lot higher to get a listenable volume, but the volume of the rears relative to the fronts seems to be louder than before. If I listen to the rears alone, they still sound a bit compressed, but maybe not as bad as before, though difficult to tell. Overal, I’m not sure if the effect is really any better than the original setup, but it does sound different.

Does anyone know, with MASK, specifically which settings are needed to fully enable hifi, or which settings are responsible for compressing the sound in the rears? It would be good to check that I’ve caught everything. Also, I it may just be that the rears are crap, and there would be benefit in upgrading them as well now that it looks like I’ve achieved something with the coding - anyone tried this and is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #25
Bobf31
Rep
Drives: f31

I believe when you enable hifi the output level from your headunit will switch from high level output to low level output.

Therefore you will need an amplifier for both front and rear to get a descent output.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #26
ionofchios
Registered
Rep

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the only realistic option. I’ve read some posts with people saying that if you upgrade your speakers and enable hifi, you get a pretty decent system. But, that may not be altogether true, or it could be that business nav has lesser amplification in it than other setups.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #27
Bobf31
Rep

Most of the upgrades put an amplifier in it as well, I did my setup with a High level input amplifier, when I switched to Hifi a lost my input gain and the rear (which were still behind the head unit didn't do anything at all anymore.
I had Professional head unit which is already better then Business since there were already small subs under the front seats setup.

I had a 4 channel amp to power the front speakers with a high pass filter and power custom 20cm subs with a low pass filter.

The rears were just behind the head unit but didn't do much since there was so much power in the front.

Only the door Gong was a bit loud since it went through the amp as well :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
ionofchios
Registered
Rep

So, nobody really bothers with the rears then, even if upgrading the amp? I guess the Alpine retrofit still drives the rears off the headunit. If that’s the case, they are still gonna be pointless, or even more pointless if they are putting out even less.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
Bobf31
Rep

As far as I know the Alpine upgrade doesn't get a coding to HIFI.
So the head unit is still powering the rears.

When the gain isn't set to a high value the balance will be kept but you don't get a lot of extra power then, I had a X-ION 200 upgrade where the sound level could really be a lot higher so I didn't boughter the rears were not noted anymore.
Appreciate 0