E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > EGR Thermostat Changed Today

03-31-2014, 05:39 AM   #23
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb21t View Post
Sounds like you got off easy, I would think about replacing the main stat soon anyway.

The egr straw ides is somewhat flawed though. This thermostat starts off open so that coolant can flow through the heat exchanger and warm up quicker. Once the temp is up the stat starts to close up and hands off to the main stat.

Best way to test the old egr stat is to run some boiling water through it, put it in a pan or in the oven. If moves then it's probably ok
that makes sense, so it is supposed to be open not closed unlike the main stat (apologies for the info if this theory is correct), however the new stat was closed and would not let me blow through it easily so i am a bit puzzled.

i threw it away lol so cant check anymore.

I will most likely be changing the main stat soon as on my drive to work today only reached 85 degrees at the end of the journey and went up by a couple of degs in local traffic. Cruising at 60 mph this should easily have reached full operating temperature,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #24
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

Update: its been over a week now since i changed my egr thermostat, regularly achieve 92 degs now and 98 when driven hard, not really noticed a regeneration as yet but seems to have done the trick, temp sticks to operating even at motorway speeds.

I will still keep an eye and update once iv done a long trip to leicester next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:08 AM   #25
salimshk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
Did you change your main stat recently?

As for the straw idea coolant does not taste nice lol, when i first took it out i couldnt wait to test it and ended up with bit off coolant in my mouth, couldnt taste food etc for 20 mins lol (still better than petrol which kills taste buds for a day or so)
How about power steering fluid? That looks tasty
Appreciate 0