E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hooning + Off Duty Police :/

04-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Hooning + Off Duty Police :/

Hi Guys,

I am very worried and rightly so as i was being very stupid today .

I had been in stop start traffic for an hour and to be honest it hadn't made me angry/frustrated at all, just twitchy to get moving as I was dying for a wee!

I slowly crept to the entrance of my local supermarket, the stop start traffic was teasing me towards the entrance. The car in front kept slamming their brakes on causing me to do the same until I hung back a bit. Eventually there was a gap and I put my foot down to pop out and the tail slightly kicked out letting out an audible screech. At which point I let off and braked sharply.

I then carried on into the car park in a normal fashion, did a u-turn at the end and came back up to find a space. As I found one a man was walking towards me so I stopped and waved him in front of the car to pass.

It turns out he was an off duty police officer and was fuming. He flashed his warrant card and began to explain how much trouble I could be in and that he took my reg and will be back to see me when he is on duty next week.

I am now rather nervous as I am 19 with a clean license (so far) and don't drive like an idiot normally especially not in public areas.

Does anyone have any advice for me? He didn't take my name or any other details or check my license or anything, so if he does return, how can he prove it was me driving?

Please advise guys

Last edited by Vish8895; 04-16-2015 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am very worried and rightly so as i was being very stupid today .

I had been in stop start traffic for an hour and to be honest it hadn't made me angry/frustrated at all, just twitchy to get moving as I was dying for a wee!

I slowly crept to the entrance of my local supermarket, the stop start traffic was teasing me towards the entrance. The car in front kept slamming their brakes on causing me to do the same until I hung back a bit. Eventually there was a gap and I put my foot down to pop out and the tail slightly kicked out letting out an audible screech. At which point I let off and braked sharply.

I then carried on into the car park in a normal fashion, did a u-turn at the end and came back up to find a space. As I found one a man was walking towards me so I stopped and waved him in front of the car to pass.

It turns out he was an off duty police officer and was fuming. He flashed his warrant card and began to explain how much trouble I could be in and that he took my reg and will be back to see me when he is on duty next week.

I am now rather nervous as I am 19 with a clean license (so far) and don't drive like an idiot normally especially not in public areas.

Does anyone have any advice for me? He didn't take my name or any other details or check my license or anything, so if he does return, how can he prove it was me driving?

Please advise guys
I don't know about the UK but in the US he would be shit out of luck. For starters, in order to pull someone over in the US you need probable cause. A cop can't just pull you over for some traffic infraction he saw you doing while off duty. If he tried some shit like that here lawyers would have a field day with his ass. Probably the he was just trying to scare you, again I'm not in the UK (and have to reason to go over there, plus I heard you're beaches suck) but I doubt he will do anything.

Last edited by Delta0311; 04-16-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I don't know about the UK but in the US he would be shit out of luck. For starters, in order to pull someone over in the US you need probable cause. A cop can't just pull you over for some traffic infraction he saw you doing while off duty. If he tried some shit like that here lawyers would have a field day with his ass. Probably the he was just trying to scare you, again I'm not in the UK (and have to reason to go over there, plus I heard you're beaches suck) but I doubt he will do anything.
Ah seems quite fair!

And he didn't pull me over, I was stopped with the windows down :/.

I will just have to wait and see I think. Would just be nice to get some advice from those who know about it
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I think he just tried to scare some sense into you......but you will have to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
AdzC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

If he has witnessed careless driving then he can report you for the offence within a 6 month period to court.

As for proving who was driving, he has your registration and so under s.172 Road Traffic Act then you would need to disclose who was driving at the time of the 'alleged' offence. This serves as a notice of intended prosecution and would need to be served in written form or verbally put to you within 14 days of the offence date.

If you are to be dealt with for anything then it sounds like a report for summons for s.3 Road Traffic Act (driving without due care and attention) or maybe a warning under s.59 Police Reform Act 2002.

Alternatively it could just be that he was annoyed at how you were driving and wanted to put you on notice and try and make you think about your actions a bit more. I thin this latter is the most likely.

Hope that helps. Not gone into to much legal but in a nutshell that would be it.
      04-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Doesn't work like that here. Police can stop any car on a road.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:07 AM   #7
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdzC View Post
If he has witnessed careless driving then he can report you for the offence within a 6 month period to court.

As for proving who was driving, he has your registration and so under s.172 Road Traffic Act then you would need to disclose who was driving at the time of the 'alleged' offence. This serves as a notice of intended prosecution and would need to be served in written form or verbally put to you within 14 days of the offence date.

If you are to be dealt with for anything then it sounds like a report for summons for s.3 Road Traffic Act (driving without due care and attention) or maybe a warning under s.59 Police Reform Act 2002.

Alternatively it could just be that he was annoyed at how you were driving and wanted to put you on notice and try and make you think about your actions a bit more. I thin this latter is the most likely.

Hope that helps. Not gone into to much legal but in a nutshell that would be it.
Thank you for this detailed response.

It has re-invoked my paranoia slightly unfotuneatly but it's nice to know the facts.

I too hope that he was just trying to scare some sense into me!

Also, can anyone comment on this, before he stopped leaning through my window he said "if I ever catch you doing something like that again, I'll take the uniform off and deal with you myself".

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:10 AM   #8
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:

It has re-invoked my paranoia slightly unfotuneatly but it's nice to know the facts.

I too hope that he was just trying to scare some sense into me!

Also, can anyone comment on this, before he stopped leaning through my window he said "if I ever catch you doing something like that again, I'll take the uniform off and deal with you myself".

Cheers
You didn't think to mention that in your original post ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #9
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
You didn't think to mention that in your original post ?
I only remembered last night when re-living the experience in bed
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:29 AM   #10
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

So basically you got caught driving like a twat and are now shitting it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:30 AM   #11
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

He is just trying to mess with your head.

Especially after that last comment you can be fairly sure you will never hear of it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:37 AM   #12
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
So basically you got caught driving like a twat and are now shitting it
Pretty much yes, as I stated at the start I know im in the wrong, I'm now trying to figure out what the consequences are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
He is just trying to mess with your head.

Especially after that last comment you can be fairly sure you will never hear of it again.
I don't think he was trying to mess with my head, but rather invoke fear and make me think about my actions (it definitely worked).

And I hope not but if I do I shall remind him of his comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #13
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

What made me pause for thought was a 19 year old driving 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
AdzC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:

Cheers
You're welcome mate.

I am sure that he was just putting you on notice that you're driving wasn't acceptable at the time.

Which judging by your own comments you agree with I am certain that you will hear nothing further. To be absolutely certain the 14 day period would have to pass but I'm pretty confident you won't.

Only you know if you were driving like a kn0b and if you were learn from it and what is likely to be a very close shave.
      04-17-2015, 03:47 AM   #15
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Pretty much yes, as I stated at the start I know im in the wrong, I'm now trying to figure out what the consequences are.

I don't think he was trying to mess with my head, but rather invoke fear and make me think about my actions (it definitely worked).

And I hope not but if I do I shall remind him of his comments.
You must have been a bit of a tool for him to intervene off duty, I've only got involved with stuff off duty when it's been pretty serious (being forced off the road and when some young scrote decided to try and batter a young lass in burger king)

I doubt you'll hear anything more
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #16
Yellow_Belly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D LCI

I wouldn't worry about it, he's just giving you a big warning
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:56 AM   #17
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320d View Post
What made me pause for thought was a 19 year old driving 335i.
Why? I know it's not a typical car for a 19 year old, but it was my perfect car (on my current wage) and I saved up for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdzC View Post
You're welcome mate.

I am sure that he was just putting you on notice that you're driving wasn't acceptable at the time.

Which judging by your own comments you agree with I am certain that you will hear nothing further. To be absolutely certain the 14 day period would have to pass but I'm pretty confident you won't.

Only you know if you were driving like a kn0b and if you were learn from it and what is likely to be a very close shave.
I was driving like a kn0b . If I had been patient and just let the autobox pull me along this would never have happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
You must have been a bit of a tool for him to intervene off duty, I've only got involved with stuff off duty when it's been pretty serious (being forced off the road and when some young scrote decided to try and batter a young lass in burger king)

I doubt you'll hear anything more
He probably thought so, but he was with his child at the time and I think he was probably more on edge. I don't blame him at all for saying something because it was stupid. But I do hope it was just a verbal.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #18
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

He cant really do anything as he has no evidence

His threat was uncalled for but hes just unhappy that he cant actually do anything!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Moral of this story is................................................ ....

Always have a bottle in the car to pee into. This has saved me countless times!!
      04-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #20
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh21 View Post

His threat was uncalled for but hes just unhappy that he cant actually do anything!
I don't know, after doing a lot of reading, I have read that off duty police do still have a fair bit of power and as ADZc mentioned, he could still return with his mates up to 14 days after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post

Always have a bottle in the car to pee into. This has saved me countless times!!
Yes indeed, or pull over at the nearest petrol station/fast food vendor
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895
Quote:

I don't know, after doing a lot of reading, I have read that off duty police do still have a fair bit of power and as MrBubba mentioned, he could still return with his mates up to 14 days after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post

Yes indeed, or pull over at the nearest petrol station/fast food vendor
He can't prove you did anything. Even if he was on duty it would be his word against yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
He can't prove you did anything. Even if he was on duty it would be his word against yours.
In the US the word of a cop in court is pretty much like the word of God. The guy can straight up fucking lie and the judge will side with him. I'm sure it's not much different in the UK but over here politicians, judges, LE are like a separate class of people. With politicians being the nobles while the judges and LE are their enforcers, meanwhile the rest of us are just dirty peasants. Unless of course you happen to be a peasant with deep pockets and a good legal representation.
Appreciate 0