E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2 valvetronic failures less than a week

04-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

2 valvetronic failures less than a week

My car recently devolped valvetronic failure that resulted in JMK BMW replacing the unit and the eccentric shaft all out of my pocket since im out of warranty. 3 days later and the same exact thing happen again. Valvetronic failure and about 8 other codes.

JMK will receive a very furious customer on Monday because this is ridiculous my car was garaged 2 of the 3 days that I received it back. Car was not tuned while but does have after market mods. But I doubt a intake a down pipe will cause this issue.

Any one have a idea as to why I keep shorting out the valvetronic unit?

At least my car looks good all broken down
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Well first off, how does the eccentric shaft need to be replace? It is basically a third cam shaft. You got fleeced on that. If they messed up installing the servomotor (I'm guessing that's what you meant by "unit") it could have been broken before you even got it. You have to hold the shaft back while maintaining tension to install the servomotor. If it snaps back it could damage the servomotor. I replaced mine, and it was nerve racking. I would go back to the dealer and demand your money back for the eccentric shaft and to get a new servomotor installed free of charge because they fucked up.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Well first off, how does the eccentric shaft need to be replace? It is basically a third cam shaft. You got fleeced on that. If they messed up installing the servomotor (I'm guessing that's what you meant by "unit") it could have been broken before you even got it. You have to hold the shaft back while maintaining tension to install the servomotor. If it snaps back it could damage the servomotor. I replaced mine, and it was nerve racking. I would go back to the dealer and demand your money back for the eccentric shaft and to get a new servomotor installed free of charge because they fucked up.
I don't remember the SA exact words but it went something like "the shaft had small chips in the teeth" or something like that. What do I know I've never worked on a BMW motor in my life. I had Japanese cars and diesel trucks all my life.

I guess that's another thing I can kick someone's ass over for at JMK when I'm there.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, I find that hard to believe. I replaced mine so know how it all looks, and there is no way that shaft would have chips in it unless someone fucked with it. I believe you should be fine though, unless it is a really shady dealer. If it really was only 3 days there should be no reason they fix it again for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Yeah, I find that hard to believe. I replaced mine so know how it all looks, and there is no way that shaft would have chips in it unless someone fucked with it. I believe you should be fine though, unless it is a really shady dealer. If it really was only 3 days there should be no reason they fix it again for free.
Thanks alot for the info. Wish I asked on the forums before the whole thing went down but kinda wanted my car back was stressing the whole thing. I'll definitely bring the whole eccentric shaft think up to them when I speak to them.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Hopefully all goes well. When replacing mine I asked the parts department for a new eccentric shaft along with the servomotor and sensor. They assured me there is really no way the shaft would need to be replaced and that the sensor is apart of the servomotor. There seems to be an increasing number of N55s with this probablem and is is quite concerning. The oil sprayer has to be removed along with the servomotor and eccentric shaft (I think) to do the VANOS bolt recall. And most of the people that have had this problem have had the recall performed (including myself). Makes me wonder if it is a coincidence or if things are not being installed properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
DahStig88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport MT

Had my car at JMK last week for a fuel pump and they did the Vanos recall while it was there. They ended up giving me the car back with a torn vacuum line. I'm also out of warranty so i hope for sure the recall has nothing to do with the Valetronic problem people are having.
E82 135i - Cobb Ap V2 PTF Custom Maps | Berk MId & Cat-back Exhaust | VSRF DP & CP | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | Apex 8 Wheels | BMS Performance Intake | ER FMIC | BMS Cowls Filters | BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahStig88 View Post
Had my car at JMK last week for a fuel pump and they did the Vanos recall while it was there. They ended up giving me the car back with a torn vacuum line. I'm also out of warranty so i hope for sure the recall has nothing to do with the Valetronic problem people are having.
Like weehe said if they have to remove the servo motor while in there to do the recall if they mess up in the slightest bit then def a related problem. Come to think of it when I had the Vanos recall done I drove the car straight into the shop where it sat for months getting work done on it. So I didn't even get to drive it after it had the recall done. As soon as I was able to drive it this happen so if only I drove It sooner I could've tied the 2 together
Appreciate 0