E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 335i Intermittent No Start (SOLVED)

07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Bob_Loblaw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport Package

2011 335i Intermittent No Start (SOLVED)

Hey all,

I just wanted to create this post as a step by step diagnosis of my intermittent no start issue.

1. The issue: I was having an issue with intermittent starting issues. It started out with a well documented issue where it would take 3-10 tries to turnover but would eventually turnover and start. The fuel pump would prime and the starter solenoid would "click" but it wouldn't turn over. I was quite sure it was not the battery as voltages checked out fine(~12.3V when off, ~14V when running) and once the engine did turn over, it sounded very strong. I did notice that I never had this issue when the engine was cold(engine off for 2 or more hours). I also took note that I never experienced this issue when the ambient temperature was below about 85F.

In short, I would only get this no start condition when I was running quick errands when it was quite hot outside.

2. Diagnosis: I was able to pull the following code:
A0C1 CAS: Output terminal 50 short circuit

This code seemed odd but I did figure out that terminal 50 is related to the starter so I knew I was getting somewhere.

I did some searching(obsessive searching...) and found some other users that had similar but not exactly the same issue as me. One user posted that replacing the ground strap solved their issue so I started there. Unfortunately, that did not solve the issue so I ordered a starter.

3. The Repair: I installed the starter myself using various DIYs and completed it successfully. To anyone afraid to attempt this job, don't be intimidated. It takes a little while but if you're patient and take your time, you will be successful(and save about $1000 at the same time). Just be sure to have the right tools ahead of time.

I replaced the starter about a week and half ago and have zero starting issues since. It has been very hot out in the DC metro area lately so I've given it a good workout. I'm relieved to have fixed this issue and hope that this can be a guide to anyone with a similar issue to shortcut to the real problem.
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

I've got the same symptoms with my 2011 X5 35i-- same code too.. My 3rd party warranty will cover it---!

Greg
Austin TX
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
How many miles?
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0