E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

09-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #485
davbay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mustard View Post
Same processor and specs but a different style screen because I don't have a factory screen. This is the one I bought
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298...793d4c4do7EVx4
It's the third option.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #486
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbay View Post
Same processor and specs but a different style screen because I don't have a factory screen. This is the one I bought
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298...793d4c4do7EVx4
It's the third option.
Same here, that’s what I got. Using for about a month now.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #487
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

How do you guys use Google maps? I mean how do you enter an address with iDrive controller?
I'm setting up my own android setup and found that Google maps do not respond to presses from direction keys.
I can't move the focus to the address bar so that it would trigger the keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #488
davbay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSeries View Post
Same here, that’s what I got. Using for about a month now.
How is it? Any complaints?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #489
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
How do you guys use Google maps? I mean how do you enter an address with iDrive controller?
I'm setting up my own android setup and found that Google maps do not respond to presses from direction keys.
I can't move the focus to the address bar so that it would trigger the keyboard.
From what my research is telling me is that you have to use touch screen from that point. iDrive controller is limited to the menu's.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #490
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbay View Post
How is it? Any complaints?
None so far, just don’t expect hardcore audio clarity. Android works great and serves it’s purpose, not compatible with netflix tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #491
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport

Quote:
None so far, just don’t expect hardcore audio clarity. Android works great and serves it’s purpose, not compatible with netflix tho.
Download the Netflix APK from an alternative site like APK Gold or similar, it doesn't work from PlayStore.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #492
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Is it any better or worse than other devices plugged into the AUX port? Just want to make sure the AUX port is the limiting factor here rather than the device itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:06 AM   #493
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoleucine View Post
Is it any better or worse than other devices plugged into the AUX port? Just want to make sure the AUX port is the limiting factor here rather than the device itself.
It’s not as bad as when mp3 players and such are plugged into the aux port. It’s actually pretty decent. Not great but decent.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #494
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoleucine View Post
I've added a Cyrus Soundkey USB DAC with good results, you're still using the AUX port but from the USB of the Android unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #495
adrian.k
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 325i se

Hi has anyone managed to customise the boot animation? Or know how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #496
Spats Colombo
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Just installed the brand new 8.8" iDrive unit AVIN started shipping just last Friday into my E92 (CIC). Other dealers should be getting it soon/now. I can confidently say that the AUX port issues have been resolved, the output is at least as good as from my phone.

It's possible a lot of the issues people were having with the AUX connection is the crappy cable they box it with. I substituted a decent 6' cable.

The trouble is now with the AUX port in the car just being bad. Is there anything I can do to get around it? A new preamp or amplifier or something? I have the base speakers with the harman CIC.

Last edited by Spats Colombo; 10-16-2019 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #497
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Thumbs up

Hi

Been reading this thread for quite some time not really sure to buy it or not. The sound quality really concerned me as it's the heart of any headunit.

Decided to pull the plug anyway as the CCC is really nothing more than radio with a almost fancy ultra low resolution screen.

Opted for this one:
Aliexpress link

Chose 4G model with 4GB ram and 64GB storage (9.0-4G-64G-CCC-Cam).
This one has Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor with Hexagon™ 546 DSP which to me seemed quite big improvement over the previous generation models.

It came from Spain so inside EU don't need to pay additional toll fees which was bonus.

They did provide instructions on how to install: Instructions here

At first glance everything seemed to work like a bliss when trying out fitment.

However for my E90 model atleast the supplied main cable was too short and screen would not go all the way back where the upper two screw holes would align. If you press it really hard it does align up but looks like it was yanked up from bottom align plastic extensions and didn't look good. Also i was worried it might bend the back connector over time due to natural vibrating environment in car.

So i cut the cable in half and extended it by about ~15cm:

Lots of soldering and took around 3 hours from beginning to finish making sure the solder is decent quality and connected joins are spread out. Also measured with multimeter making sure any shorts didn't come.

Here is the final result where red part is roughly the length i added:

It had 2 coaxial cables too. There i extended the main signal wires. Then added shrinking tube around it creating isolating layer and just wrapped stripped copper around it connecting both grounds. Not perfect but didn't produce any noise.

Routing the cable was quite a HASSLE that gave me huge headache in the end.

Had to guide the white connector of the main harness into the tiny hole to the left (behind DVD/CD module) where it ends up on top of pedals.

From there i had to position myself so that head is where pedals are and feet are to the roof (while all the blood is flowing to my head) to actually see where i am pushing the white connector.

In this position i used one hand to guide the white connector upwards inside the dashboard. It does 90 degree bend at one point and exits where the original connectors all join together behind the screen.

From there had to use another hand to catch the white connector (from the upper screen hole)
It was not easy to give 90 degrees bend while using feet to try lift myself up to give that little boost so other hand fingers can touch white connector from the center dashboard inside tiny hole and guide it out.

This was very difficult and nowhere mentioned! Really difficult for E90 model but doable. Not sure about the E92 or if there is better way to route cables. However the cabling this way is very neat and i liked it.

For GPS i used splitter cable. This one from aliexpress Yet again had to solder to use supplied L bend connector that will go into the new screen. I didn't connect GPS into the original DVD/CD module as it just wouldn't fit and in the end turns out it isn't even necessary. Original GPS is really fast and good, forget the supplied black box.

In the process of putting everything back the center console long piece, where door locks button and DTC button connectors attach were quite troublesome to get back in. Take extreme caution not to scratch AC module plastic trim (i did little but thankfully noticed before further damage was done).

Finally 3 days have passed, everything is assembled, very stock looking and time to play with the module itself.

First impressions:
  • The screen is really gorgeous, plays movies very well.
  • Red theme fits with the car (in the image experimented with different interface types).
  • It automatically connected with car audio and don't need to use AUX plug at all.
  • Easy to use with iDrive controller. Some android apps also support steering wheel buttons. For example when listening to youtube you can switch to next song.
  • Waze as default navigation.
  • It's really fast switching from menus. Booting from cold is ~12 seconds.
  • Sound quality is actually really good, much better when comparing to CCC FM radio and AUX from phone.
  • For giggles did try phone 3.0mm -> USB 2.0 based DAC which gave amazing sound. I believe this overrides Snapdragon DAC:

Never heard these (Base) speakers play this kind of quality.
    When i used just phone -> AUX (without DAC amplifier and using Business unit processor) sound was really bad. I can't believe i have listened to this muddy mess for so long. Felt like bit rate dropped in half.
    Same song in android internal memory was quite close to USB DAC quality.
    However when used the same setup (USB DAC-> 3.0mm car aux input) the sound was very quiet. Created some sort of loop? Don't know what i was expecting as they both are inputs.
    Safe to totally ignore business unit 3.0mm input.
  • Can switch from CCC / Android side with steering wheel buttons.
  • Play Store endless apps in a car.

What i didn't like:
  • Bluetooth calling quality is bad with the internal microphone, lots of noise. Possibly OEM or any other external microphone makes it usable.
  • Bluetooth and Wifi at the same time are not stable. One or the other drops out occasionally since they use same frequency.
  • MicroSD card reading is not stable. Sometimes it interrupts reading and only solution is to copy contents into internal memory or use USB stick (with second usb connector) which i don't know yet if can be used to read external memory. If it works then can plug some cheap 128GB SSD and put whole library there.

What i have not tried out:
  • Backup camera that was also in the box.
  • There are 2 USB cables. One cable i routed into the storage but apparently it only seems to accept USB OTG devices expecting phone connection. Wondering if other USB can accept regular USB sticks.
  • I did try out Android WIFI which was awesome but the connection was not stable over Wifi when i tried it. Possibly better with cable.
  • Wifi / Bluetooth not stable when both used (solved if using 4G sim card?).
  • Test the sound quality with Spotify
Also image of the PCB which has decent quality solders. Class 1 at most - consumer level.

In the end it's huge improvement over stock CCC and i really enjoy using it. Integrates with car well and if anyone still wonders if it's worth then definitely it is.
I even burried the idea to upgrade speakers as the improvement was so immense.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 10-28-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      10-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #498
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If it doesn't connect to the aux how does it connect?
Most of the units like this Y into the aux if they don't connect
directly to the aux. The only other way in is the Most Bus or
a Radio antenna.
I guess the USB could be a way in but I thought that was only for
music and loading the hardrive with Nav Maps and Music files.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #499
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Exactly my question. How does it connect sound if not through aux? Also since I have Logic7 and CIC now I am not sure if I will do this unless I can verify the audio quality is great with my type of stereo/amp. I love the Logic& sound. It is the best OEM I have had so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:38 AM   #500
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

From the CCC side i chose Aux input.

Then i switch to the android side and music just starts playing. I didn't expect that but it works and switching to different sources it can handle fine.

The Avin unit looks different from the pictures. Back connectors have different location and didn't look to have microSD option. GPS input has different connector.

Andream company seems to have their own design and figured it out somehow. Cause i only used the main harness (moving optical connectors to new one) + LVDS screen connector + GPS cable on the android unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #501
spongey
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46

Fascinating! The Snapdragon version seems to be great. It also looks like Avin now also offers it, though for a bit more money than Andream. That said, I wonder if Avin's Snapdragon version has the same problems?

Last edited by spongey; 10-29-2019 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #502
Spats Colombo
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

I am having a horrible issue with the AVIN...using Carplay, the audio skips a few times every song, like a bad CD player. Basically nullifies the value of the unit. I can't recommend anyone planning to use Carplay purchase this.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #503
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
From the CCC side i chose Aux input.

Then i switch to the android side and music just starts playing. I didn't expect that but it works and switching to different sources it can handle fine.

The Avin unit looks different from the pictures. Back connectors have different location and didn't look to have microSD option. GPS input has different connector.

Andream company seems to have their own design and figured it out somehow. Cause i only used the main harness (moving optical connectors to new one) + LVDS screen connector + GPS cable on the android unit.
You just said that you selected aux on the ccc.

Then that must mean that it is connecting through the aux input.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #504
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 355i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post

So is this still a degraded input source? I'm interested but I want the best fidelity.

I'm torn between this or a Combox retrofit...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #505
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewidow View Post
Quote:

So is this still a degraded input source? I'm interested but I want the best fidelity.

I'm torn between this or a Combox retrofit...
Yea according to the description in the link that he posted. It shows that the aux input is used for audio. I just did a combox retrofit but it left me the desire to watch videos on the screen. I just can't bring myself to use these android units without them having the audio integrated with the logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #506
whitewidow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 355i

Quote:
Yea according to the description in the link that he posted. It shows that the aux input is used for audio. I just did a combox retrofit but it left me the desire to watch videos on the screen. I just can't bring myself to use these android units without them having the audio integrated the logic 7.
I know he chose the aux input but he did not utilize the aux cable plugin to the aux port. So this must use the use by internal wiring in the harness?
Appreciate 0