E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Before I pull the water pump......anything else it could be?

09-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Exclamation Before I pull the water pump......anything else it could be?

I recently picked up a used 07' 355i with around 95,000 miles on it. I got it cheap...one of the reasons was because the car overheats fast, and the guy said it was because the water pump was bad. He said it took it to the shop and they replaced the radiator...and the thermostat...but not the water pump. That doesn't make any sense to me at all...why would you not replace the water pump? But...whatever.....

Anyway.....when I run the water pump bleed cycle and force the water pump to turn on and cycle......I can just hear it buzzing/chirping on and off every few seconds, but I never hear any water flowing. And when I scan it with MHD...I get a 2E82 - Electric Coolant Pump Cutoff, and a 2E84 - electric coolant pump missing.

I'm 99% sure it's a bad water pump....but before I replace it, is there anything else I should check? Or are all of those codes a tell tale sign for a bad water pump?

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe / 07

85K / 07 328i here.

I had to replace my waterpump / t-stat recently due to similar codes.
I can drive the car for a while and the yellow engine overheating warning would come on then the red ones will kick in soon after.
When I try to run the coolant bleed cycle via start/pedal down 12secs, you can actually see the pump working when you open the coolant reservoir. Don't do that when it is hot for obviously reasons. That said, the water pump would stop working sporadically.

I'd go ahead and replace the pump right away.

If you actually have a scanner, it would tell u the pump wouldn't be drawing amperage at certain mileage marker and the number of occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

your pump is bad. the codes even agree. Either that, or they didn't plug it in.. I have no idea why you would replace the tstat and not the pump!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

First check if you are actually getting power to the pump. I had an overheating episode and pump wasn't running. It was actually a blown fuse and the pump was good. The fuse is under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
First check if you are actually getting power to the pump. I had an overheating episode and pump wasn't running. It was actually a blown fuse and the pump was good. The fuse is under the hood.
I can hear it chirping and making noise when I try to run the bleed cycle on it.......with it making noise, I'm assuming that it's getting power. Or is there something else in that same area that could be making noise?? Could the thermostat be making noise?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

If you hear it chirp/spin up and making noise then it is working. Only the waterpump starts up and makes noise in that area.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I can hear it chirping and making noise when I try to run the bleed cycle on it.......with it making noise, I'm assuming that it's getting power. Or is there something else in that same area that could be making noise?? Could the thermostat be making noise?
Then it works?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
CCiCarbon335i
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I just had the same thing on mine. Less than a week after purchase. Threw a couple yellow over heat warnings one day.
Cheapo no-name tstat was put in and only thing I can think is that the bugger got stuck closed which caused the seal to blow through. I was panicking thinking it was the water pump or rad fan (didnt come on during a test) or temp sensor (replaced anyways).

Car has only 92k kms and the water pump (continental) was changed by a previous owner so I didnt bother replacing.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Then it works?
Failure for these pumps isn’t a binary thing necessarily. Hearing it work doesn’t indicate it’s operating at the correct flow rate. I believe the idea here is just to ensure it’s actually getting power, though I’d personally use INPA and trigger it through Activations page.