E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Smaller turbo working intermittently

06-28-2022, 04:13 AM   #1
wannaseemdead
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E92

Smaller turbo working intermittently

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my smaller turbo losing boost.

It happens whenever I put my foot down for 5-10 seconds, after I let go of the throttle I lose small turbo boost until about 2k when the bigger turbo kicks, the issue persists for a short while, then my smaller turbo starts working again (this is happening without me even shutting the engine down, it literally loses and gains back boost as the engine is running).

The turbos are brand new, hybrids replaced in February, I've also replaced the MAP sensor, vac reservoir and all the vac lines. (I've also replaced the actuators, but they are from ebay so I'm not sure whether that could cause the issue as well).

Just looking for some advice and opinions
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
wannaseemdead
Rep

I think it's worth mentioning that I've played with the turbine switchover rod before because a local garage in my area completely shut the small turbo by fully tightening the rod. I've done it by hand and eye sight, I didn't follow any calibration manuals as I couldn't find any good instructions on how to calibrate the turbo switchover. I set the screw so 17 threads are visible on the rod.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

First thing I'd do is download TestO and start logging actual vs requested boost.
      06-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
MidWillamette335d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Honestly, Id start by getting legit pressure converters. I wouldn't trust anything engine/performance related from e-bay. I think a funky PC would produce those symptoms but I know of no way to bench them to verify. 17 threads should be in the spot, many say 16, some say a bit higher.
On a side note, how was the TT this year? It's a bucket list item for me..
      06-29-2022, 05:06 AM   #5
wannaseemdead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWillamette335d View Post
Honestly, Id start by getting legit pressure converters. I wouldn't trust anything engine/performance related from e-bay. I think a funky PC would produce those symptoms but I know of no way to bench them to verify. 17 threads should be in the spot, many say 16, some say a bit higher.
On a side note, how was the TT this year? It's a bucket list item for me..
Just ordered genuine pressure converters with a bracket, hopefully that solves the issue. TT was really good, missed the island looking so alive, ever since covid we missed two years of TT.

The mountain road with this car hits different too
Appreciate 0