E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo 335i on Inside Line!

04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
They weren't racing a on a track surface that was prepped and I think they were at high elevation.
+1 IMO this was poorly written and key details were left out (I'm not sure if that was intentional or not). Guess I expected more from the editorial, the car on the other hand
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
+1 IMO this was poorly written and key details were left out (I'm not sure if that was intentional or not). Guess I expected more from the editorial, the car on the other hand
I agree completely.

The dyno graphs are about the only worth while material that they expose. Edit- I dont think they showed them yet though?

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 04-25-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

It seems some people doesn't realize 11.5 @128.9 is excellent, especially with a bad 60 foot.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
It seems some people doesn't realize 11.5 @128.9 is excellent, especially with a bad 60 foot.
It's good, but we've already seen an 11.1 run with upgraded turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Most excellent considering that wasn't on a prepped track. 11.1 on RB's is fantastic, but a) that was a prepped drag strip and b) that's about the max potential of those turbos. *edit c) that 11.1 run was not done in the hot desert at higher altitude
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /

Last edited by Syndicategt; 04-25-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
In a 335 or 135?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
In a 335 or 135?

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Most excellent considering that wasn't on a prepped track. 11.1 on RB's is fantastic, but a) that was a prepped drag strip and b) that's about the max potential of those turbos.
The testing at Inside Line also involved 19 back to back runs (with no real cool down). And temps were in 80-85F range at 1200' above sea level. So conditions are vastly different than a drag strip glory run. It's also worth noting that 6MTs have a pretty big disadvantage in that they can't launch in 2nd gear like a 6AT. Which means another 0.3s long upshift.

This was the first real test we subjected the car too. And we've learned a lot from it. We think we have the rear suspension pretty well sorted now and capable of cutting 0.4-0.5s quicker 60' times. Should know soon...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #31
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The testing at Inside Line also involved 19 back to back runs (with no real cool down). And temps were in 80-85F range at 1200' above sea level. So conditions are vastly different than a drag strip glory run. It's also worth noting that 6MTs have a pretty big disadvantage in that they can't launch in 2nd gear like a 6AT. Which means another 0.3s long upshift.

This was the first real test we subjected the car too. And we've learned a lot from it. We think we have the rear suspension pretty well sorted now and capable of cutting 0.4-0.5s quicker 60' times. Should know soon...
Shiv, when are you going to install a cage? Hurry up and install it so you can quail the naysayers!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Shiv, when are you going to install a cage? Hurry up and install it so you can quail the naysayers!
private track rental = no need for cage
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I actually think the new single turbo AT car revs quicker and hits the shift points faster than the car doing the 11s qtr.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #34
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
I actually think the new single turbo AT car revs quicker and hits the shift points faster than the car doing the 11s qtr.
LM is launching in 2nd and actually has traction ...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

700+ hp single turbo car and they write that dull of an article. Pretty much the only interesting part was Shiv's new nickname. Chief Exhaust Huffer.

But then again I've never been impressed by IL. Their numbers always seem slow and their opinion biased. And their writing sucks.

Also, LMAO at the comments. I've already recognized a few members. Funny how what you say on here and there doesn't match up huh?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
335iseb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:

So what are you supposed to do at a drag strip if not glory runs guy? What does that even mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #37
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iseb View Post
So what are you supposed to do at a drag strip if not glory runs guy? What does that even mean?
What he means is that real drag strips with proper prep are in their nature glory runs compared to inside line's testing on bare pavement with far from ideal conditions and no cool downs between the 19 runs.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iseb View Post
Magazine testers don't do glory runs. They keep on doing back to back runs unit they get repeatable numbers, NOT the best numbers absolutely possible. Not only do they not have the time to give long cool downs, their idea is to give you numbers that you can repeatably reproduce on the street in real world conditions. This is also why they do testing running backwards on the dragstrip. Their argument is that real streets don't have VHT sprayed on them. So why should they use it when testing? This is also why magazine 1/4 mile results are usually slower than your personal 1/4 mile tests. Not because magazine testers suck or are bad drivers. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Drag racing your own car at a drag strip is very different. For one, you drive your car yourself. You don't have it to someone who has never driven it before and expect him to get the most out of it. Second, you pick and chose your testing days carefully, opting for cool days instead of hot days. Third, your best runs are usually those runs following a long (30-45min) rest. Fourth, you are given a water box and are allowed to do a burn out to clean off/warm up your tires. And lastly, you have a sticky prepped surface which allows you to launch hard with minimal wheelspin. None of this stuff is real world by any means. But it's glorious.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Magazine testers don't do glory runs. They keep on doing back to back runs unit they get repeatable numbers, NOT the best numbers absolutely possible. Not only do they not have the time to give long cool downs, their idea is to give you numbers that you can repeatably reproduce on the street in real world conditions. This is also why they do testing running backwards on the dragstrip. Their argument is that real streets don't have VHT sprayed on them. So why should they use it when testing? This is also why magazine 1/4 mile results are usually slower than your personal 1/4 mile tests. Not because magazine testers suck or are bad drivers. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Drag racing your own car at a drag strip is very different. For one, you drive your car yourself. You don't have it to someone who has never driven it before and expect him to get the most out of it. Second, you pick and chose your testing days carefully, opting for cool days instead of hot days. Third, your best runs are usually those runs following a long (30-45min) rest. Fourth, you are given a water box and are allowed to do a burn out to clean off/warm up your tires. And lastly, you have a sticky prepped surface which allows you to launch hard with minimal wheelspin. None of this stuff is real world by any means. But it's glorious.

shiv
But didn't the magazine post the best numbers they got on that day?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #40
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But didn't the magazine post the best numbers they got on that day?
Yes, the best out of the ~20 back to back runs. Which does not yield the best possible result. Even in this best run, the car hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear and cut a 2.0 60' time.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #41
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the best out of the ~20 back to back runs. Which does not yield the best possible result. Even in this best run, the car hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear and cut a 2.0 60' time.
Nice, I can't get past 2.0 60' time, but that's because I suck at driving =P
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

shiv
This shoud be noted in the article in the beginning. My .02.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

So it suppose to be a realistic test from edmunds with regard to the unprepared track. But, it is unrealistic for anyone to expect to run the car with drag radials, weight reduction, race fuel, and four nozzles for meth. It might have been more realistic with regular performance tires, 91 or 93 octane fuel, and meth.

I'm not sure what it is to proven from the results since there are too many variables to determine the true performance of the car. At least you are the one credited to have the first single turbo running with results and dynos. Everyone else failed in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
So it suppose to be a realistic test from edmunds with regard to the unprepared track. But, it is unrealistic for anyone to expect to run the car with drag radials, weight reduction, race fuel, and four nozzles for meth. It might have been more realistic with regular performance tires, 91 or 93 octane fuel, and meth.

I'm not sure what it is to proven from the results since there are too many variables to determine the true performance of the car. At least you are the one credited to have the first single turbo running with results and dynos. Everyone else failed in my opinion.
to me, the results that speak loudest are still his 60-130 time. that is the test magazines should be conducting.
Appreciate 0