E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sockets 335i build



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #1101
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
737
Rep
6,152
Posts

Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Yep that's it DrJ.. sponge is a pinta to remove as its partially glued to the mesh but with patience and a sanding block, you can get it all off
Looks better in person then in the photos
Link to DIY here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233255
Awesome DIY dude, i'll get around to doing it one day
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #1102
NeT335
Major
NeT335's Avatar
Albania
135
Rep
1,476
Posts

Drives: e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTiNQ View Post
Looking good sockie bruh
Slowly getting there

Good idea with painting the speaker trim space grey it's a nice touch
Thanks bra.... I'm considering painting all the trim in space grey (with is darker then the aluminum) or putting in silver CF trim....

Front door trims are next and the dash next weekend
The trims painted space grey would look really good actually

I wouldn't do silver cf it doesn't look right
Carbon fibre only looks good in black

Also let me know when you the do the front door cards I'll come past and help/watch cause I want to learn how to do this stuff aswell if you want
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #1103
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTiNQ View Post
The trims painted space grey would look really good actually

I wouldn't do silver cf it doesn't look right
Carbon fibre only looks good in black

Also let me know when you the do the front door cards I'll come past and help/watch cause I want to learn how to do this stuff aswell if you want
No worries mate, hoping to get the fronts done this week, maybe Thursday night if you want to swing by, but its pretty easy, remove card, remove foam, speakers etc, bore out studs, attach leather panel with screws and washers, reassemble and install new door card - done

Glad you told me about the silver CF, was seriously considering it.. I've done one trim in space gray (spare that came with a door card) and it looks ok, but not sure about doing the dash trim and consoles, my painting skills aint that leat lel
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #1104
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
194
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: e46
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: bne

iTrader: (0)

Damn that's looking nice bro. I admire the creativity and determination to make this car truly unique.

We need a new autosalon category called 'socket worthy'
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #1105
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Damn that's looking nice bro. I admire the creativity and determination to make this car truly unique.

We need a new autosalon category called 'socket worthy'
Thanks wooshy. Has only been possible with lots of help from peeps like Vince, Nic and others here on the forum. Would not be ripping my car apart and spending money modifying my perfectly good car if it wasn't for you guys lol. Thanks (I think)

Last edited by Socket; 03-05-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #1106
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
737
Rep
6,152
Posts

Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (3)

We're you always going to do the two tone interior? I thought you were going to black her out originally?

Love the unique look of the two tone interior though
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #1107
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
258
Rep
1,809
Posts

Drives: State Transit Bus
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Not a fan of the speaker rings in SG. now it's a three tone interior haha
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #1108
NeT335
Major
NeT335's Avatar
Albania
135
Rep
1,476
Posts

Drives: e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
No worries mate, hoping to get the fronts done this week, maybe Thursday night if you want to swing by, but its pretty easy, remove card, remove foam, speakers etc, bore out studs, attach leather panel with screws and washers, reassemble and install new door card - done

Glad you told me about the silver CF, was seriously considering it.. I've done one trim in space gray (spare that came with a door card) and it looks ok, but not sure about doing the dash trim and consoles, my painting skills aint that leat lel
You can always get them painted professionally and maybe even put some clear coat so they look nicer or really even high gloss black trim will look good as well you should put that on your list of possibilties too

Let me know exactly when you are going to start the fronts and I will be there
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #1109
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
We're you always going to do the two tone interior? I thought you were going to black her out originally?

Love the unique look of the two tone interior though
Was going full black but as everyone has a black interior I thought I'd go two tone and save some money but replacing seats etc
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #1110
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Not a fan of the speaker rings in SG. now it's a three tone interior haha
lol this is true
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #1111
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTiNQ View Post
You can always get them painted professionally and maybe even put some clear coat so they look nicer or really even high gloss black trim will look good as well you should put that on your list of possibilties too

Let me know exactly when you are going to start the fronts and I will be there
Yeh not sure what trim to go with yet, good thing is they are easy to replace if I don't like em

Sure mate, After work Thursday
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #1112
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Finally no more surging problems thanks to the Vince (Mr Wizard)

Vince was nice enough to help out tonight by fitting new boost solenoids, some new vac lines and replacing my RB PCV with a new RB PCV. Coils were also not oriented properly so we popped them and turned them back to their correct position. Not sure what he did but the surging and rough running is completely gone. We took SPCGRY for a spin and couldn't get the half engine over boost fault to occur at all. Vince thinks RBs are soft, so the challenge is to do some proper logging and get the tune finished hahaha ... Thanks Vince

On the downside we found the Tial BOV is staying open at idle so the spring is way to soft!! and we also found a pretty bad boost leak which looks likes its coming from the brake booster unit

At least the car is running without the surging which has been a pita since the RBs were installed.... He also magically recoded the CD stacker which I had done some work on to see if I could get it working again ...... Vince for Pres
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #1113
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
737
Rep
6,152
Posts

Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (3)

Happy days!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #1114
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
_ink's Avatar
Australia
322
Rep
2,770
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i 2018
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
amazing! Vince is a god. and you should worship him and address him as so from here on in..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #1115
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Happy days!!
Happy days indeed
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #1116
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
amazing! Vince is a god. and you should worship him and address him as so from here on in..
I would but I am not worthy lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #1117
vtl
Brigadier General
vtl's Avatar
Australia
1171
Rep
3,073
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Finally no more surging problems thanks to the Vince (Mr Wizard)

Vince was nice enough to help out tonight by fitting new boost solenoids, some new vac lines and replacing my RB PCV with a new RB PCV. Coils were also not oriented properly so we popped them and turned them back to their correct position. Not sure what he did but the surging and rough running is completely gone. We took SPCGRY for a spin and couldn't get the half engine over boost fault to occur at all. Vince thinks RBs are soft, so the challenge is to do some proper logging and get the tune finished hahaha ... Thanks Vince

On the downside we found the Tial BOV is staying open at idle so the spring is way to soft!! and we also found a pretty bad boost leak which looks likes its coming from the brake booster unit

At least the car is running without the surging which has been a pita since the RBs were installed.... He also magically recoded the CD stacker which I had done some work on to see if I could get it working again ...... Vince for Pres
Haha thanks for the kind words mate, glad it seems to be running better. I didn't notice any smoke on the test drive too?

When we removed the RB PCV valve I noticed it was a different version of the RB valve with a rubber grommet instead of an oring. Certainly looked shittier quality and was really covered in oil. The new one was an oring version. I have fitted PCV valves to a few cars and the stock ones always come out with not that much oil on it. Hopefully this fixes your smoking issue?

Had a bit of a big vacuum leak, plugged off certain points of the system with my hand and traced it to the brake booster, must be a pretty massive leak, only holding 20inHg of vaccuum (should go all the way down to 28). I am certainly glad I have a DIY home made vacuum gauge tool, proved invaluable today.

Codes we pulled were related to overboost, so I am guessing the boost solenoids fixed that. Maybe if you didn't have a massive vac leak you could have probably have gotten away with not replacing the solenoids? Just the fresh ones work better when you have the vac leak.

I would say bin the Tial asap or at least swap the spring back. On idle, the BOV is completely open and will be sucking in unfiltered air, bad for your engine.
__________________
Build Thread | MHD Custom Tune | Agency Power DPs | PE Mod Exhaust | 550i Clutch | Wagner FMIC | M3 LSD | Turbosmart Kompact DVs | M3 Control arms | M3 steering rack | KW Competition Coilovers | Dinan Camber Plates | E92 M3 Front Sway | UUC Trans mounts | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | Alcon 355mm BBK | Yokohama AD08R | Apex EC-7 | Schroth Harness | M3 Steering Wheel | LEDs | CIC + Combox retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #1118
Flex68
Captain
Flex68's Avatar
70
Rep
854
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Coils need to be orientated a certain way???
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #1119
PeterY
Lieutenant
PeterY's Avatar
Australia
236
Rep
549
Posts

Drives: Graphite E92 335i N54 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Coils need to be orientated a certain way???
Huh? I don't get this as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
...... Vince for Pres
Agree
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #1120
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Coils need to be orientated a certain way???
They were plugged in with the clasps lined up with the center line of the engine, they should sit at about a 45 degree angle instead aligned with two pronged flap. (probably should have taken a photo) Not sure if this had anything to do with the running problems or not, but it cant hurt to have them properly positioned
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #1121
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
2969
Rep
10,756
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Haha thanks for the kind words mate, glad it seems to be running better. I didn't notice any smoke on the test drive too?

When we removed the RB PCV valve I noticed it was a different version of the RB valve with a rubber grommet instead of an oring. Certainly looked shittier quality and was really covered in oil. The new one was an oring version. I have fitted PCV valves to a few cars and the stock ones always come out with not that much oil on it. Hopefully this fixes your smoking issue?

Had a bit of a big vacuum leak, plugged off certain points of the system with my hand and traced it to the brake booster, must be a pretty massive leak, only holding 20inHg of vaccuum (should go all the way down to 28). I am certainly glad I have a DIY home made vacuum gauge tool, proved invaluable today.

Codes we pulled were related to overboost, so I am guessing the boost solenoids fixed that. Maybe if you didn't have a massive vac leak you could have probably have gotten away with not replacing the solenoids? Just the fresh ones work better when you have the vac leak.

I would say bin the Tial asap or at least swap the spring back. On idle, the BOV is completely open and will be sucking in unfiltered air, bad for your engine.
Thanks mate, Ill report back on the smoking issue, I did not notice any on the drive home but that RB PCV did look pretty ordinary, apparently they have been known to fail and cause issues.

Next job is to get the parts to fix the boost leak and to buy a SV50 which is adjustable, so i can dial in just the right boost pressure.

Thanks again mate
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #1122
Flex68
Captain
Flex68's Avatar
70
Rep
854
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
They were plugged in with the clasps lined up with the center line of the engine, they should sit at about a 45 degree angle instead aligned with two pronged flap. (probably should have taken a photo) Not sure if this had anything to do with the running problems or not, but it cant hurt to have them properly positioned


Yeah I have noticed that when looking at diy .... But thanks for the tip as I'll be taking a pic before I change plugs soon so I replace in the exact position
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST