E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire-07 335i e90

08-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire-07 335i e90

Randomly car started misfiring and put itself into limp mode, when I got home I scanned it and read the codes.
Cylinder 1 and 5 misfiring.
Started off with removing the coils and inspecting them, switched them around and still the problem is in 1 and 5
The plugs themselves are brand new and the coils are fairly new
The code seems to be injector related but how would 1 and 5 go out at the same time makes no sense
Other fuel codes keep popping up aswell but the hpfp has shown no signs of failing, never a long crank or anything before
Car has 150k on it
any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

My next step would be to swap in another injector if you have one laying around. If not, I'd swap injectors 1 and 2 and see if it follows the injector. I hear you that it would be strange to lose 1 injector from each bank at the same time, but it's not much work at all to swap them and confirm.
      08-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
My next step would be to swap in another injector if you have one laying around. If not, I'd swap injectors 1 and 2 and see if it follows the injector. I hear you that it would be strange to lose 1 injector from each bank at the same time, but it's not much work at all to swap them and confirm.
ah ok will try that, wouldn't the seals need to be replaced though when you take out an injector?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghynds View Post
ah ok will try that, wouldn't the seals need to be replaced though when you take out an injector?
Don't tell anyone else, but I've swapped all mine out and didn't bother to replace the seals. I'm not saying it's best practice, I'm just not as concerned about it.
      08-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Replace the seals when messing with injectors. Just because one individual got away with it, doesn't mean all will. The consequences can be drastic if they leak compression and can wallow out the head to the point that it will never seal again which pretty much means you're now replacing the head. Such a small thing can lead to huge repairs.

Let the car sit overnight and pull the plugs before starting it the next morning. Are the plugs wet with fuel? Do you smell fuel? If yes, you have leaking injector/s.

Can you log? Buy the MHD monitoring module and a KDCan cable(or the MHD wireless OBD adapter) so you can log your LPFP and HPFP pressures, among other things.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Replace the seals when messing with injectors. Just because one individual got away with it, doesn't mean all will. The consequences can be drastic if they leak compression and can wallow out the head to the point that it will never seal again which pretty much means you're now replacing the head. Such a small thing can lead to huge repairs.

Let the car sit overnight and pull the plugs before starting it the next morning. Are the plugs wet with fuel? Do you smell fuel? If yes, you have leaking injector/s.

Can you log? Buy the MHD monitoring module and a KDCan cable(or the MHD wireless OBD adapter) so you can log your LPFP and HPFP pressures, among other things.
See, this is why I told him not to tell anyone. Now I'm getting in trouble. Anyhow, I've heard this story before, but I'm skeptical. I also hear about this wallowing in conjunction with missing decoupler rings. That one makes a little more sense to me as it would allow excessive movement. But if the cylinder was leaking compression, it seems to me I'd be able to hear that.

Anyhow, his codes have nothing to do with leaking injectors. Not sure why you're advising him to check for leaks in the current situation.
      08-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to think this is an electrical problem, because of what the codes read, any fuses for the injectors?
already cleaned the injector and coil plugs
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I'm suggesting he check for leaking fuel injectors as they are common parts to fail, are easy to check, cause misfires and at this point need to be part of the diagnosis procedure, if nothing else than just to rule them out.

He says plugs are new and he moved coils around with no difference in symptoms. The next step would be to check for leaking injectors. Even if they are not the cause of his misfires, knowing their condition is good as they could be thinning out his oil. Unrelated to his issues at hand, yes, but still good to know.

The assumption that it could be a wiring issue is plausible based on the screen shot, but that could also suggest it is an internal electrical fault in the injector. A visual inspection of the wiring would be a good idea.

If OP chooses to pull plugs, their condition, regardless of wet or not, could also aid in diagnosis based on what they look like. It would be a good time to do a compression check while they're out...

Anyway, as funky as these cars can be with their symptoms and causes, this is my process to rule out as many things as are easily possible, then move on to other diagnosis if the easy stuff doesn't yield results.

Being an 07, could this be a MOSFETs problem? Not sure what actual codes people get when those fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
stewbets
Captain
Rep

There are a thousand things he could check that aren't going to rule anything out in this situation. Checking for leaking injectors or compression makes no sense. Period. It's just bad advice. I'm not trying to be critical, but rather trying to steer the OP away from distractions. But yeah, if he's looking to find problems that aren't problems yet, you've given him a good head start. But he has an actual problem right now and he started a thread to address that problem. I want to help him with it.
      08-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

I didn't suggest he check a thousand things. A misfire is a misfire and anything that could cause one should be checked, regardless if it makes sense to you.

How is 2 easy tasks that take all of 20 minutes to do make any less sense than suggesting he not worry about injector seals? But, yeah, if you want him to create more problems than he's already got, you've given him a good head start.

I'll just bow out and let you fix it for him, Mr. Helpful. Don't worry, not trying to be critical.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #11
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

If the plugs are new and not fouled and coils aren't the issue...I agree with Emilime75, check for leaking injectors.
      08-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I'm starting to think this is an electrical problem, because of what the codes read, any fuses for the injectors?
already cleaned the injector and coil plugs
Any evidence of fuel on the plugs?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Am I the only one who can see the picture he posted of the faults? They are 100% electrical. This is really starting to feel like Twilight Zone stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #14
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Have a look at this TSB. It covers 2 of the injector codes you're getting. According to this it's either the wiring harness or the injectors.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DME Injector Faults.pdf (28.6 KB, 218 views)
      08-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #15
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
See, this is why I told him not to tell anyone. Now I'm getting in trouble. Anyhow, I've heard this story before, but I'm skeptical. I also hear about this wallowing in conjunction with missing decoupler rings. That one makes a little more sense to me as it would allow excessive movement. But if the cylinder was leaking compression, it seems to me I'd be able to hear that.

Anyhow, his codes have nothing to do with leaking injectors. Not sure why you're advising him to check for leaks in the current situation.

Checking for leaking injectors is not good idea?

Your sure injector fault codes have nothing to do with injectors?

Doesn't take a genius to work out, if plugs and and coils are ok, then next thing to check is injectors, but certain forum members seem to think they already diagnosed the issue without checking, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #16
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Have a look at this TSB. It covers 2 of the injector codes you're getting. According to this it's either the wiring harness or the injectors.
If it's wiring harness or *Injectors*

Guess he's gonna have to check the Injectors if the wiring harness checks out ok.

lmao
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #17
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Cylinder 1 and 5 misfire-07 335i e90

Well problem has been made worse tried to start the car after cleaning some connectors and it started then died out, won't start again with all sorts of crazy codes, even have a red transmission light now

So took everything apart, every coil and plug to let sit out overnight, removed cylinder 1 and 2 fuel rails, will switch them later when i have the seals

the wiring harness seems clean and nothing wrong

But however there was oil on top of the plugs and on the coil, also oil in the injector connectors, must have been from when the valve cover was replaced 3000 miles ago don't know if any of that being wet with oil could cause a problem, before the valve cover and gasket were replaced ik the whole area was filled with oil but i haven't had a problem this whole time

Researched the MOSFETs problem too which is what im leaning toward, but i still find it crazy how two went out at once, man idk
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #18
ghynds
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #19
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
do you have a link?
I attached the PDF to that other post, but this is where I found it:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752117
      08-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #20
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well problem has been made worse tried to start the car after cleaning some connectors and it started then died out, won't start again with all sorts of crazy codes, even have a red transmission light now

So took everything apart, every coil and plug to let sit out overnight, removed cylinder 1 and 2 fuel rails, will switch them later when i have the seals

the wiring harness seems clean and nothing wrong

But however there was oil on top of the plugs and on the coil, also oil in the injector connectors, must have been from when the valve cover was replaced 3000 miles ago don't know if any of that being wet with oil could cause a problem, before the valve cover and gasket were replaced ik the whole area was filled with oil but i haven't had a problem this whole time

Researched the MOSFETs problem too which is what im leaning toward, but i still find it crazy how two went out at once, man idk
Bummer. Just make sure and go over all the connections you touched with a fine tooth comb, including any grounds. I don't think it's the mosfets in the DME since you didn't have a 30BA or 30BB code and you also didn't have an entire bank of injectors down. Those are the 2 tell tale signs of that. That issue will also throw general misfire codes like 29C0 instead of the 2E30 and 2E34 injector activation codes you got.
      08-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
stewbets
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
[/B]

Checking for leaking injectors is not good idea?

Your sure injector fault codes have nothing to do with injectors?

Doesn't take a genius to work out, if plugs and and coils are ok, then next thing to check is injectors, but certain forum members seem to think they already diagnosed the issue without checking, lol.
***The following is only an attempt to humbly instruct. Please check the mocking tone at the door and consider the possibility that you may have missed the point of what I've said***

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 main symptoms of leaking injectors:

- AFR's lazy to get to 234 on coasting
- fuel trim issues and mixture codes
- long cranks and inconsistent cold idling

There are probably other symptoms too, but injector activation codes like the 2E30 and 2E34 that OP has have literally nothing to do with leaking injectors. They point to a short circuit or an open circuit in the electrical connection to the injectors, either in the wiring or in the injector itself. With this knowledge, can you see how these codes would have everything to do with injectors and yet nothing to do with leaking injectors? Injectors can fail in more than one way.

My first post in this thread was recommending that the OP swap his injectors to see if the issue follows the injectors or stays with the cylinder. Yes, you are right that it's obvious that the issue involves the injectors. But no, it's not because they're leaking. I have had this code before. I swapped the injector and was good to go. I've also had leaking injectors at several different times. I only found out which ones were leaking by checking the plugs. I'm not against checking for leaking injectors. I've only tried to make it clear that it does not make sense in this situation if the objective is to resolve an issue where 2 cylinders are down due to 2E30 and 2E34 codes. There is, without a doubt, an electrical issue going on.
      08-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
***The following is only an attempt to humbly instruct. Please check the mocking tone at the door and consider the possibility that you may have missed the point of what I've said***

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 main symptoms of leaking injectors:

- AFR's lazy to get to 234 on coasting
- fuel trim issues and mixture codes
- long cranks and inconsistent cold idling

There are probably other symptoms too, but injector activation codes like the 2E30 and 2E34 that OP has have literally nothing to do with leaking injectors. They point to a short circuit or an open circuit in the electrical connection to the injectors, either in the wiring or in the injector itself. With this knowledge, can you see how these codes would have everything to do with injectors and yet nothing to do with leaking injectors? Injectors can fail in more than one way.

My first post in this thread was recommending that the OP swap his injectors to see if the issue follows the injectors or stays with the cylinder. Yes, you are right that it's obvious that the issue involves the injectors. But no, it's not because they're leaking. I have had this code before. I swapped the injector and was good to go. I've also had leaking injectors at several different times. I only found out which ones were leaking by checking the plugs. I'm not against checking for leaking injectors. I've only tried to make it clear that it does not make sense in this situation if the objective is to resolve an issue where 2 cylinders are down due to 2E30 and 2E34 codes. There is, without a doubt, an electrical issue going on.
You just made a post stating its ether wiring harness or injectors,

I'm not saying it can't be an electrical issue, but the point was to check the Injectors. If he's done that already then fine. But giving a 100% guarantee that it's not injectors but an electrical issue on the through a forum seems funny, since you haven't checked his car.
Appreciate 0