E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Grinding only when going forward 335xi

06-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Haggerty
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi, 2011 335d

Grinding only when going forward 335xi

I tried to address the ABS/4x4/AWD warnings by replacing the passenger rear axle and bearing. I couldn't get the old axle out of the old knuckle so I bought a used one to replace it. I haven't replaced the used bearing that came with it yet but was able to get the new axle in and everything back together.
I thought the brakes might be catching as the rotor was reasonably hot after short test drives. I ended up removing the parking brake assembly completely.
The grinding increases with speed but seems to skip sometimes, there is no grind in reverse even at good speed. The dust cover came pretty mangled, but I believe I've mangled it all out of the way from any contact with the rotor...and I'd imagine it would contact in reverse if that was the issue.

Any ideas? I'm currently going to head back out and tighten up all the bolts to the transfer case side of the axle, working in the dark outside and have an hour long drive in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Haggerty
Rep

So I found a thread where a guy has the same sound as me, but he narrowed it down to e-brake issues. I have completely removed the e-brake shoes and still have it.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Haggerty
Rep

I'm not sure what I did to fix the issue but I no longer have the grinding noises. It was my 5th or 6th time taking the caliper off and checking things that the sound went away. On that attempt I made sure the e-brake cable that was disconnected was tucked away incase that was making contact with rotating parts. The action that I believe may have fixed it was clearing built up dust from the channel between the brake pads themselves. Example photo attached. Now to get the bearing replaced and e-brake re-attached...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
BMWsandDobermansGirl
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

My car only drives in reverse now, when I put it in drive it starts rolling forward and then gets stuck with a squealing noise... I have no idea what's going on.. transfer case? Gears all shift smooth and fine. Never had any gears slipping or stutter. No lights come on. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0