E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Debris Cracked Underfloor Shield, TMPS Inactive

05-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #1
beaches85
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Debris Cracked Underfloor Shield, TMPS Inactive

I had the unfortunate run-in with a huge strip of a blown tire in the road today, which shredded up the underfloor shield pretty bad, mostly near the front passenger wheel. The main underhood shield (Part #51757129341) cracked in a few pieces, so I know I’ll need to replace that (I removed about 1/3 of that shield, which was barely being held in place, and the front brake air duct (51747138414) ripped loose (although it’s pretty much intact), so I have that out for now. The radiator shield (51757128503) also cracked a bit and came loose.

The good news is that the car seems perfectly drivable, but I now have the TPMS light on my dash. Manually checking, all the tires are fine, and when I go into the menus to reset it, it shows TMPS INACTIVE. Looking inside the wheel well (inside the cover), there’s a wire with a white connector just hanging loose (see pictures and videos below). I can see one wire still connected to the fog lamp, but have no clue what the loose wire goes too. Did something major relating to the TPMS rip out from inside there?

Video #1
Video #2
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

TPMS works by a sensor inside the tire commuicating wireless to a sensor inside the wheel well. This sensor is called the RDC trigger. Most likely the debris loosened the wiring somehow.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...94#36236771042

Here's a very helpful thread from Bimmerfest that should get you started on how to check the wiring and pinouts

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=608109

Quote:
My 2007 335i e93 was missing an RDC Trigger on the right front after an accident ripped out the wheel well. All that remained were three wires to the device. The pinning is as follows.

Brown / White wire goes to pin 1
Black / White wire goes to pin 2
Gray / White wire goes to pin 3.

Parts
36236771042 RDC Trigger
61138365356 Universal Socket (1 needed)
61130005199 Electrical Contact Wire (White) 0.2-0.5 mm (3 needed)
61130006665 Electrical Contact Wire Bushing Contact 0.75 mm (not needed)

I used wire crimps to connect the wires and wrapped it all in black electrical tape.

After researching the internet, below are the Error Code related to this missing RDC Trigger.
I have this info ready since my TPMS has been on/off "inactive" since I swapped bumpers. I get the feeling that when loosening the wheel liners, I must have stretched a wire and the connector is loose. Hope this helps.

Edit - just saw your 2nd pic - pretty sure that it just got unplugged from RDC. You should be able to find the RDC somewhere on the wheel liner.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Tpms modules are mounted to the back side of the front half of your wheel well liner, behind bumper right behind fog lite.

They are only thing on there, small black box around 2" x3" held
On with plastic push fasteners.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
beaches85
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Thanks very much for the responses - I know it's been a while since my original question, but I've been traveling a bunch lately, so haven't had much time to dive back into this. After looking at the links, yes, it looks like this is exactly what is missing. I also found this YouTube video that shows the small TPMS receiver mounted to the inside of the wheel liner:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlUkA4i2bwk[/u2b]

That wheel liner is pretty torn up on my car from the debris I hit, so it looks like it's completely missing (I think I can see the holes where it would mount to, and that part of the liner is pretty mangled up):

So now comes the next question - assuming I order the replacement and get it mounted back on there (probably with a new wheel liner) and plugged back in, what would it involve to reactivate it? I see that the part number is 36236771042 (thanks, Stupenal!), but what is involved to get it connected wirelessly back to the sensor in the tire? Need to have re-coding done at the dealer?

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did you ever resolve this issue?
I am sort of going thru the same thing... Light is on, and I replaced the transmitter with no luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitP View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue?
I am sort of going thru the same thing... Light is on, and I replaced the transmitter with no luck!
Can't really offer you any specific help without knowing year, model, chassis (e.g. 2007 328xi E91), what "Light is on", what if any repair or incident preceded the light coming on, etc. "Sort of going thru the same thing is a bit vague.

You can always go to TIS home page, enter your VIN, and search for the circuit diagram for the TPMS system: Module "A85a Tyre Pressure Monitor (RDC) >"

George
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

George,
I have a 2008 E92 M3 (production date 07/08).
The light on the cluster had always been on, it is the tire pressure light. I have replaced all tire sensors, and the transmitter behind the wheel well, and still have the light on.
I have connected tot he system via Shwaban OBD scan tool, and it tells me that the front right transmitter is still faulty (after changing it, and driving for ~50 miles).

This is where I am now. Not sure what to replace or do next. Not certain if the transmitter also needs to be programmed?

Thx for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2008 E92 M3 (production date 07/08). The light on the cluster had always been on, it is the tire pressure light. I have replaced all tire sensors, and the transmitter behind the wheel well, and still have the light on. I have connected tot he system via Shwaban OBD scan tool, and it tells me that the front right transmitter is still faulty (after changing it, and driving for ~50 miles).
Here is the link to the TIS circuit diagram for the TPMS on your 2008 E92 M3:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-rdc/H2DAPopj

The RDC wheel well transmitter, Front-Right, has the ID Code "B47a." So assuming that: (1) you installed the correct replacement Transmitter, (2) you/ a tire shop tested the signal from each wheel sensor, (3) and that Schwaben information is accurate, that would seem to leave a wiring/ connector fault as the culprit.

What Fault Code AND Fault Definition did Schwaben provide?
Is it able to do any system tests or readouts of Live Data/Parameters/Status?

For instance, INPA in its "Status" function can give a readout of pressure at each tire. It can also perform various Activations/Steuern, with which I am NOT familiar.

Based on my limited knowledge of the system, I would do the following:
1) Clean the two connectors between the Transmitter & RDC: X18041 & X18034.
2) With Ignition ON, measure voltage at each of the pins of Connector X18041 (with reference to Ground), record those values, and then do the same for the corresponding pins of Connector X18040, the connector for B43a, the Left-Front Transmitter, and compare the readings.
3) Then test for continuity as well as short to ground for each of the three wires, pins #1, 2 & 3, from B47a to pins 22, 23 & 7 respectively at Connector X18034 at the RDC.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I had intermittent issues with mine.
There is evidence of damage from an impact to my passenger side. Broken brake dut, things like that.

opened up the fender liner to find a very badly done wire splice job to the tpms receiver. I repaired the wires properly and it works again.

So they can definitely get the wires torn off in an impact.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

George & All,
Small update with my findings;

1) The codes present are the following:
604E-RDC System
6050-RDC Transmitter, front right.

2) I checked some of the live data options in my Shwaban, things such as tyre pressure and temperature and they all seem to be present and the same (~261F & 6.4 bars). Obviously strange all being the same.

I will look into the wires/connectors next.
Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Chipmunks chewed through the wires to the TPMS antenna -- located approximately under the driver's seat -- and I received the error. Twice, in fact.

Idiot that I am, I parked the car in exactly the same place after the repair, and exactly the same thing happened, 2 weeks later.

Chipmunks may be stupid enough to think that BMW wires taste good, but they are still smart enough to remember where they last found some.

The traditional solution (temporary) for stupid BMW warning lights has been a square of black electrical tape placed over the offending light.
Attached Images

2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

Is the TPMS antenna suppose to be the receiver (pictured in the link below!)?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d/36236771043/

And is it under the passenger's seat internally or externally?
I will look into this as well.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...Small update with my findings;
1) The codes present are the following:
604E-RDC System
6050-RDC Transmitter, front right.
2) I checked some of the live data options in my Shwaban, things such as tyre pressure and temperature and they all seem to be present and the same (~261F & 6.4 bars). Obviously strange all being the same.
1) Regarding the Schwaben codes, if THAT is all it gives you, that's NOT very helpful: (A) WHAT ABOUT the "RDC System"? Yeah, you knew you had one, and you knew something in the system wasn't right 'cuz there's a "Tire Icon" on your dash. (B) Transmitter, Front Right adds a little bit of value as it suggests the problem is related somehow to the signal from that transmitter (as opposed to the other three), but it could be that there is NO signal at all, the signal is bogus/ out of range, etc.

2) Is THAT a MISPRINT or is that actually what Schwaben gave you???
261F? WTF??? (What The Fahrenheit ;-)
6.4 Bar? THAT'S 92.8 PSIG -- TIRE PRESSURE??? JUUUST a little over-inflated.

Are ALL FOUR (4) wheels showing that pressure & temperature???

IF so, then either your Schwaben is toast, or your RDC module has "significant issues."

If the temp & pressure readings from the Right-Front are either (a) quite different from the other 3, or (b) NOT present at all (0 or blank) then check the wiring to the RF Transmitter as discussed above.

Otherwise, I would find a shop that will connect INPA or ISTA to your RDC and give you Fault Code, Fault Detail (Freeze Frame Data) and Live Data (Status) Pressure readings while you wait. Only takes ~ 5 minutes if they know what they are doing, and in another several minutes they ought to be able to transfer screens showing the data obtained to a thumb/flash drive you supply.

If in fact the temp & pressure readouts for each of the 4 wheels is exactly the same, that suggests either something is wrong with the RDC or your Schwaben, as the signals from the four Transmitters normally vary even when the tire pressure as read by a proper tire pressure gauge shows ALL to be the same, due to electrical & signal differences at each wheel.

All the TPMS cares about is whether the pressure signal saved for a certain wheel in the RESET process has decreased by ~ 25%, so the system does NOT have to be calibrated to read the exact same pressure for each tire, even when it IS the same.

I don't have a simple answer except: get a second Scan Tool/Software Opinion/Diagnosis

George
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

The shwaban tool I have is brand new, I got it with the transmitter when I replaced it. Yes, all 4 wheels report the same values, which makes me think the issue maybe with the receiver (pictured in the link I posted earlier). I also used CARLY but that is a useless tool!

I could be wrong but my guess is if the receiver is bad then it is possible that all those pressure and temperature ranges are reporting highest possible values .... sort of reporting the max allowed in that CAN message.

I plan to stop by a friends shop this weekend or look into the wiring as u suggested and report back!

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

Update:
After replacing the front tpms transmitter (by the wheel well), the RDC antenna, and ensuring all the sensors in all the wheels are functioning properly, I see have the issue with the tpms, and is throwing the same codes as before. This leads me to think it may be a wiring issue, unless someone has a diff thought/idea to look into.

Question, is there any learning that needs to be done on the RDC antenna to mate it to the car?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep

Update: The issue may have been resolved!

As I was cleaning the interior of the car, I happened to break the two taps that control the center HVAC vents.... part of the plastic went inside the vents, so as a result I removed the center longitudinal trim (that includes the ignition switch/vents, and hazard lights/door unlock button/TPMS switch) in an effort to remove the broken plastic piece.
Well, the min I removed the trim piece, my TPMS light that was illuminated on the cluster, disappeared. This lead me to thinking it may be the connection on TPMS button on the center console could be loose. And sure enough it was, as I wiggle it, the light on the cluster would appear and disappear.

I will continue to monitor it, and perhaps swap back the older RDC and Transmitter parts to confirm it was an electrical intermittent issue.

Thanks to all who have been following!

Edit: My car is a 2008 E92 M3, so for later model M3's this button may not exist on the center console.
Appreciate 0