E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 BMW 335Xi Oil burn Smell from Vents

12-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
mrdecdent
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

2011 BMW 335Xi Oil burn Smell from Vents

Hello Guys

Newbie here need some expert opinion. my 2011 BMW 335xi has this burning oil smell coming off from vents so i rushed to a mechanic and immediately he told me a leak but couldn't tell from where and would cost me couple of thousand dollars. There is no oil dripping on the ground but there is a significant smell from the vents sometimes when i turn on the heater especially. My question is realistically how much would it cost me to fix this and how safe is to drive with the Smell? Again no dripping on the ground and i just got my oil change done back in September, do you guys think the mechanic messed up while changing the Gasket? Any help is appreciated. Car has 64K miles

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

If he can't tell you from where as at least an educated guess, I'd find a new mechanic (unless you just asked a general ball-park). Of course you're going to pay him for work done, but "a couple thousand" without specifics is a license to book hours.

From your post, you seem to indicate that one of the gaskets was changed: Valve cover; Oil Filter housing? Those would be the two that would generally lead to "oil smell." It won't generally drip because the drips are hitting your exhaust manifold heatshield and then burning (hence the smell). It doesn't take a lot to create the smell.

Check by your exhaust manifold and see right under the valve cover vanity shield/cover if there is oil caked up. If it is, it's your VCG or your valvetronic gasket.

Then check by your oil filter and if the housing below looks oiled up or "wet" then it could be that. That said, this is the weaker smelling of the two if something is actually wrong. Many people don't even notice this one.

Of course you have a 335...so there are a few other places to check. Hell, your intake manifold gets oiled up hehe (ok you won't smell that). Anyway, start with those two basics and then work your way around the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Check to see if the PCV hose is cracked/broken, it is most likely the cause. If you open the hood, take off the engine cover, it will be on the left side. It is a hose connecting the valve cover to the inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0