E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30FF and then some

06-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

30FF and then some

So ive started a threat in general section about some general questions, but figured maybe I can get a better answer here. I'll skip the details, and just say my brother-in-law bought 07 335/manual. Has some issues, so we are trying to get them all squared away. One issue is still eluding us.

We are getting the 30ff code. You could start the car, no codes, then you get into boost in one of the gears, it goes balls to the wall and then throws 30ff and goes into limp mode. My brother-in-law decided to clean the Vanos solenoid (he read somewhere it could cause issues, they looked bad), and it made things WORSE! When you start the car now, it runs rough for a few seconds (5 sec or so) then throws CEL, goes into limp mode, but works fine afterwards (besides the limp mode, it is not stuttering or anything, just no boost). We now have replaced both boost solenoids and VANOS solenoids with new units, but it still has exactly the same symptoms: starts, runs rough for a few seconds, throws CEL, then runs normal, but no balls (like turbo's are off). All the boost lines look fairly new (the ones we can see). So perhaps waste gates are not working right, I'm gonna attempt to adjust the waste gate actuator arm, but should we be bracing for a new turbo set up, or could it be bad wastegate actuators themselves? if so, can they be replaced without taking everything apart, or is that a job for the shop? Earlier, before messing with solenoids, when the car went into boost briefly, it was as if everything was fine (it was pulling/boosting/sounded great).

We have downpipes that we were planning to instal (at the shop_, so when we have to original ones off, maybe we can test something there...? but that's on Monday, I got until then to try and figure some items out.
      06-25-2022, 12:53 AM   #2
Cubieman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3, 2007 335i e92

Did you purchase OEM boost solenoids? My buddy has a small shop, customer car had the same codes even after they had replaced the solenoids, however they used some cheap Chinese ones and that ended up being the issue.

I believe you want to see 11.6 ohms of resistance on each boost solenoid.
Appreciate 0