E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Just bought - E93, 77k miles, maintenance recommendations

08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
Just bought - E93, 77k miles, maintenance recommendations

I just bought a used (two owner car) E93 with 77k miles from a dealer in Nashville. I was able to verify the car was CPO'ed after the first owner and then maintained at BMW in Nashville for the duration of the CPO time frame. Now I have the car, but no record of what maintenance has been performed on the car - I thought about calling BMW of Nashville to get the records - anyone know of another way to retrieve?

Two issues with the car that I would like to resolve:
- The car is tossing engine malfunctions occasionally, codes 2A7C and 3100
- Rough idle

I would like the car to be reliable and have been thinking of doing some preventive maintenance to kind of level-set and then move forward. Here's what I was thinking, but am looking for guidance to more experienced forum members as to whether this is excessive or if there's something else I should consider.

- Oil and filter change
- New coils
- New plugs
- Walnut blast, replace intake manifold gaskets
- Clean the VANOS solenoids, or replace if 2A7C still present

I attached a pic for those interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGuy View Post
I just bought a used (two owner car) E93 with 77k miles from a dealer in Nashville. I was able to verify the car was CPO'ed after the first owner and then maintained at BMW in Nashville for the duration of the CPO time frame. Now I have the car, but no record of what maintenance has been performed on the car - I thought about calling BMW of Nashville to get the records - anyone know of another way to retrieve?

Two issues with the car that I would like to resolve:
- The car is tossing engine malfunctions occasionally, codes 2A7C and 3100
- Rough idle

I would like the car to be reliable and have been thinking of doing some preventive maintenance to kind of level-set and then move forward. Here's what I was thinking, but am looking for guidance to more experienced forum members as to whether this is excessive or if there's something else I should consider.

- Oil and filter change
- New coils
- New plugs
- Walnut blast, replace intake manifold gaskets
- Clean the VANOS solenoids, or replace if 2A7C still present

I attached a pic for those interested.
Nice find!

You answered yourself correctly my son. Codes should clear out once you do your to do list above. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Was inspecting the engine tonight. Serpentine belt is cracked. Going to replace that first!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Not just any 335, that's an IS! Welcome to the club!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...13211&page=264
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Other things to consider. Has the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) been recalled and or replaced? What index are the injectors? Recall also in place for certain cars. Find the BMW website put in the VIN and see if these two very important issues have been addressed. Find a good indy and do a PII inspection would be another option see exactly what's going on. Those codes might lead you to think it's one thing when infact it could be something else which could cost much more.
      08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Nice care. Definitely do transmission, power steering, and differential fluids too. And check and see if you have an extended emissions warranty. That covers the VANOS solenoids and other related equipment. The VANOS solenoid went out 3X on my care, thankfully I didn't pay a dime due to my 15 year/150k SULEV emissions warranty. They also extended the warranty for the high pressure fuel pump due to high failure rates.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Great Car!

Walnut blasting and cleaning & swap VANOS locations should do the trick.

Get ready to rumble - this car is awesome but it will require many hours of love over the next 50k miles.

I had an 07' N54 and I had so much fun with that car. The walnut blasting requirements were the most frustrating part. My OCC & RB PCV valve were no match for this tar breathing beauty.
A meth injection kit might be your best friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

While you're in there, take a very close look at the OFHG and the valve cover gasket. At that mileage the waterpump has most likely been replaced, but if not, it will die soon.
      08-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Some updated on the vehicle...While I don't have the prior maintenance records my dealership was able to see what has been done on the car at other BMW service centers. To answer some of the above questions:
- HPFP and Water Pump have not been changed
- I've been getting the intake solenoid and reduced boost pressure error so I took out both VANOS solenoids, cleaned, swapped positions, and cleared the codes. Today I got another engine malfunction, checked the codes, and now the error is on the exhaust, so definitely a problem with the solenoid itself as the error has swapped with the solenoid.
- Had the serpentine belt changed and inspected by the dealer - other than it needs new pads and rotors they said the car was in good condition. I was planning to upgrade the pads and rotors this fall so I told the dealer to leave it alone.
- Was checking the codes when messing with the VANOS and found a transmission 5a5b fault - this one has me more worried. I'm hoping it was a fluke as I took the car of an 8 hour round trip drive on Saturday so maybe it overheated???
- The car is still running rough and after starting the engine it takes some time for the tach to settle down. I'm hoping later this fall when I clean the intakes, do plugs and coils, and fix the VANOS solenoids it will settle down and run smoother.
Appreciate 0