E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > After Market Screen (AVIN)

05-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWake View Post
Yeah I like the cleaner solution part but not the more expensive tbh, right now I use the aux and a bluetooth adapter to listen to music on my phone so the quality would pretty much be the same if the unit uses the aux I would think.. also if I am going to get the avin or whatever I might as well just buy it from aliexpress since its the exact same thing that the avin company sells but its just re branded and put at a higher price
Well sorta... the AVIN units have some customer support for when these units start being glitchy, forgetting presets, etc. Do some research, it's pretty glitchy and has some issues.

Also remember that quality is going to go down from your current bluetooth. What most people fail to even understand is that your phone compresses the audio to send it bluetooth as a digital format... then the avin with its own bluetooth unit, coverts that to an analog signal (with a pretty shitty digital audio converter that is built in) to send that signal back out of the AVIN to your AUX... the AUX then sends that signal to the Headunit and coverts it to a digital signal again to then go to the AMP which again coverts it to Analog to go to the speakers. Too many Digital to analog and back again conversions to get a clean sound.

Keep your CIC (and retrofit combox and aps) or retrofit NBT... really the only ways to get quality audio out of your L7 without replacing the amp. If you were to upgrade to a high end DSP/amp, most of them have a AUX in that is lossless. Technically you should be able to connect the AVIN to that AUX and have a better signal, however you still are relying on the crappy Chinese DAC built into the AVIN.
Appreciate 1
Nickco431456.00
      05-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Well sorta... the AVIN units have some customer support for when these units start being glitchy, forgetting presets, etc. Do some research, it's pretty glitchy and has some issues.

Also remember that quality is going to go down from your current bluetooth. What most people fail to even understand is that your phone compresses the audio to send it bluetooth as a digital format... then the avin with its own bluetooth unit, coverts that to an analog signal (with a pretty shitty digital audio converter that is built in) to send that signal back out of the AVIN to your AUX... the AUX then sends that signal to the Headunit and coverts it to a digital signal again to then go to the AMP which again coverts it to Analog to go to the speakers. Too many Digital to analog and back again conversions to get a clean sound.

Keep your CIC (and retrofit combox and aps) or retrofit NBT... really the only ways to get quality audio out of your L7 without replacing the amp. If you were to upgrade to a high end DSP/amp, most of them have a AUX in that is lossless. Technically you should be able to connect the AVIN to that AUX and have a better signal, however you still are relying on the crappy Chinese DAC built into the AVIN.
Yeah that is true the quality would be less since I see what you mean but if I am being honest the avin unit would really help out since I am always using google maps and waze, I have heard that the 7.1 version with less ram is pretty bad and the 8.1 is decent. I am in a bmw group down here in Miami and most users that have the 8.1 say its good and the audio sounds fine what I think ill do is use my cic for a while then if a good deal comes up on one of these units I will probably get it to upgrade a bit look a bit more flashy..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #25
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that is true the quality would be less since I see what you mean but if I am being honest the avin unit would really help out since I am always using google maps and waze, I have heard that the 7.1 version with less ram is pretty bad and the 8.1 is decent. I am in a bmw group down here in Miami and most users that have the 8.1 say its good and the audio sounds fine what I think ill do is use my cic for a while then if a good deal comes up on one of these units I will probably get it to upgrade a bit look a bit more flashy..
If you are upgrading just to be flashy, then have at it... personally I am a function over form first and foremost kinda guy, I actually try to not be flashy... especially in a 7+ year old 3 series but to each their own.

I believe they all only have 2 gb or ram 7.1 and 8.1, but the processor in the 8.1 is supposed to be better. But at $400+ I'd rather have OEM functionality with a combox... I'm my research and what @nickco43 has told me the CIC is actually a great system once you have bluetooth streaming and aps coded and retrofitted... and a new map disc will bring the nav up to date. NBT is better for someone coming from CCC.
Appreciate 1
Nickco431456.00
      05-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #26
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are upgrading just to be flashy, then have at it... personally I am a function over form first and foremost kinda guy, I actually try to not be flashy... especially in a 7+ year old 3 series but to each their own.

I believe they all only have 2 gb or ram 7.1 and 8.1, but the processor in the 8.1 is supposed to be better. But at $400+ I'd rather have OEM functionality with a combox... I'm my research and what @nickco43 has told me the CIC is actually a great system once you have bluetooth streaming and aps coded and retrofitted... and a new map disc will bring the nav up to date. NBT is better for someone coming from CCC.
I knew me saying flashy was gonna be bad lol, didnt mean that, I just like how it looks better for someone who does not know about cic and ccc (meaning non enthusiast) these aftermarket units with literally being a tablet have a lot of benefits at least for me, the 8.1 has a 6 core cpu and the 7.1 is a 4 core cpu with less rom and a bit less hard drive space, but I am interested in being able to use my current cic and code bluetooth for music onto it since you mentioned it how would I do that? and updating the maps for free? if just adding bluetooth to my current cic is gonna be more expensive then buying a aftermarket unit then for me personally its not really worth it I would just keep using my aux cord, but for the price of the aftermarket unit getting bluetooth plus google maps, waze, and other apps to stream music/videos I would say its a fair price. Yeah my music might sound a bit shitty but I could get an aux splitter so when I want that sweet logic 7 sound I could have it. I see what the other user said about the bad reviews of these aftermarket units and thats to be expected I mean not that many people buy it see that it works really good and go post saying its great most people when they post its because something is wrong and I might just buy one and it could be shit lol, but most people I have talked to on some group chats (MBC) say they like it, streaming movies and stuff looks good and the screen is fine, so I understand its not the best option to put a Chinese box into our German cars but for a price to price ratio vs retrofitting something else idk man..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #27
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I knew me saying flashy was gonna be bad lol, didnt mean that, I just like how it looks better for someone who does not know about cic and ccc (meaning non enthusiast) these aftermarket units with literally being a tablet have a lot of benefits at least for me, the 8.1 has a 6 core cpu and the 7.1 is a 4 core cpu with less rom and a bit less hard drive space, but I am interested in being able to use my current cic and code bluetooth for music onto it since you mentioned it how would I do that? and updating the maps for free? if just adding bluetooth to my current cic is gonna be more expensive then buying a aftermarket unit then for me personally its not really worth it I would just keep using my aux cord, but for the price of the aftermarket unit getting bluetooth plus google maps, waze, and other apps to stream music/videos I would say its a fair price. Yeah my music might sound a bit shitty but I could get an aux splitter so when I want that sweet logic 7 sound I could have it. I see what the other user said about the bad reviews of these aftermarket units and thats to be expected I mean not that many people buy it see that it works really good and go post saying its great most people when they post its because something is wrong and I might just buy one and it could be shit lol, but most people I have talked to on some group chats (MBC) say they like it, streaming movies and stuff looks good and the screen is fine, so I understand its not the best option to put a Chinese box into our German cars but for a price to price ratio vs retrofitting something else idk man..
Don't quote me on this... Nickco43 can probably answer this better... but I think you can add the Combox and code the car for apps plus the New maps for less than a couple hundred dollars these days if you DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #28
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't quote me on this... Nickco43 can probably answer this better... but I think you can add the Combox and code the car for apps plus the New maps for less than a couple hundred dollars these days if you DIY.
If you know how to code FSC codes you can add on a combox with BMW Apps for $100 if you look hard enough. Granted you will need to repin a few connectors.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #29
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
If you know how to code FSC codes you can add on a combox with BMW Apps for $100 if you look hard enough. Granted you will need to repin a few connectors.
I do not know how to code and repin connectors is fine but what exactly do I look for?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #30
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I do not know how to code and repin connectors is fine but what exactly do I look for?
Look for a non crusty BN2000 combox will all of the connectors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-BMW-33...AAAOSwpdtc27Wn
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #31
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Look for a non crusty BN2000 combox will all of the connectors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-BMW-33...AAAOSwpdtc27Wn
Oh okay do you have an tutorials on how to install that and make it work?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #32
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
and how would coding on google maps and stuff like that work? I had no idea you could do that
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #33
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
and how would coding on google maps and stuff like that work? I had no idea you could do that
Flashing FSC codes for BMW Apps is something that I would say is too advanced for the average person to do on E90 post. You need to have fully updated firmware on both the combox and CIC. Flashing modules with an ICOM is a whole ordeal in itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #34
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Flashing FSC codes for BMW Apps is something that I would say is too advanced for the average person to do on E90 post. You need to have fully updated firmware on both the combox and CIC. Flashing modules with an ICOM is a whole ordeal in itself.
Oh alright I would have to study I understand, anyways what would be my best option then? buy the aftermarket thing? or buy the bluetooth box adapt that to the car and use that? I do use waze and google maps quite a lot tbh :/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #35
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Please don't take this wrong but based on your questions, you probably need to do a lot of research. As it stands it doesn't sound like you have a grasp on how the systems in the car work. There is a whole sub forum dedicated to coding, it might be worthwhile to head over HERE and read up a little.

There is no coding for google maps... you code the various computers in the car to recognize the new options that you need enabled when you retrofit the new parts.

In your case, you will need to code your FSC to recognize the Combox. After that a couple wires need to be repined.

If you are really serious about getting the apps to work and coding a combox into your system you could look into remote coding services that are offered by many individuals here, as well as a number of companies that specialize in this... There are probably 100 threads that talk about this, use the search function, it is your friend here...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Please don't take this wrong but based on your questions, you probably need to do a lot of research. As it stands it doesn't sound like you have a grasp on how the systems in the car work. There is a whole sub forum dedicated to coding, it might be worthwhile to head over HERE and read up a little.

There is no coding for google maps... you code the various computers in the car to recognize the new options that you need enabled when you retrofit the new parts.

In your case, you will need to code your FSC to recognize the Combox. After that a couple wires need to be repined.

If you are really serious about getting the apps to work and coding a combox into your system you could look into remote coding services that are offered by many individuals here, as well as a number of companies that specialize in this... There are probably 100 threads that talk about this, use the search function, it is your friend here...
Oh alright I think its just easier to buy the Chinese aftermarket unit, keep my cic then sell the aftermarket unit later on and put my cic back, but I will do some research on that seems interesting..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #37
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh alright I would have to study I understand, anyways what would be my best option then? buy the aftermarket thing? or buy the bluetooth box adapt that to the car and use that? I do use waze and google maps quite a lot tbh :/
I mean $400 for a crappy Chinese made android tablet that screws into your dash, or some of your time (researching and learning) and lets say $200 to retrofit OEM combox... I know what I would do... but I also have an engineering background so shit like this is honestly cake compared to the stuff i'm used to... Just depends on how your brain works.

Quote:
Oh alright I think its just easier to buy the Chinese aftermarket unit, keep my cic then sell the aftermarket unit later on and put my cic back, but I will do some research on that seems interesting..
Just remember with the AVIN unit you are always keeping your CIC headunit, it's just the screen that swaps out. I believe you can toggle between the stock CIC and the AVIN unit when you need to use the I drive to check fluids, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #38
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Also I forgot to add:

Your Stock CIC will still be sending the signal to your amp... similar to having a tablet hardwired to your AUX in... You select AUX on your stereo and now whatever is running on the AVIN is fed to the system.

Because of how this works, the phone is kinda funky on the AVIN. Lets say you are listening to terrestrial radio with the stock radio (The AVIN's FM tuner is pretty weak) but the AVIN is on, if the phone rings, it doesn't interrupt the music and allow you to take the call... you need to switch over to the AUX and accept the call on the AVIN... its very wonky.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #39
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Also I forgot to add:

Your Stock CIC will still be sending the signal to your amp... similar to having a tablet hardwired to your AUX in... You select AUX on your stereo and now whatever is running on the AVIN is fed to the system.

Because of how this works, the phone is kinda funky on the AVIN. Lets say you are listening to terrestrial radio with the stock radio (The AVIN's FM tuner is pretty weak) but the AVIN is on, if the phone rings, it doesn't interrupt the music and allow you to take the call... you need to switch over to the AUX and accept the call on the AVIN... its very wonky.
Yeah lol its prob not the best system and would be much smoother if I go with the better methods you guys mentioned but learning the code wont be over night for me maybe I can find someone locally that can help out then I would be down to just use the method you said but if its just plug and play to have google maps and waze there its better for me I always find my self looking down at my phone or it just falls out the stand when doing some you know "mini pulls"
Appreciate 0