E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 pre-LCI Xenon to LCI Xenon Retrofit

04-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
B9M0W
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

what is the difference from going pre-lci halogen non AE to pre-lci xenon AE? is it just plug and play? or is there some wiring involved?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
wiskerbisskit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-sport.

I have an 08 335 with xenon adaptive hedlights. I want lci headlights, i hate the amber in my headlights. I just cant seem to find a final answer on what I need. Will my ballast and bulbs switch over if I buy lci headlights? Will my stepper motor module swap as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #25
Mutagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskerbisskit View Post
I have an 08 335 with xenon adaptive hedlights. I want lci headlights, i hate the amber in my headlights. I just cant seem to find a final answer on what I need. Will my ballast and bulbs switch over if I buy lci headlights? Will my stepper motor module swap as well?
I have an 08 335, xenon, AHL and swapped to Lci AhL xenon and it was plug n play. It did blink fast but I'm not sure if it's from my LCI tai lights I also did at the same time but it was easily coded out. I bought headlights with everything on it but I'm sure u could swap ur old ballast and bulb over if u found bare lci headlights online, that I'm not sure of Because how they mount onto your lights could be diff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
pope335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
I don't have xenons yet, I have prelci halogens right now, looking to convert to lci ahl xenons. I got almost all the parts now. Who knows, I might actually sell my car first and list the xenon parts for sale

Let me make this clearer.

First, the wire that the OP listed, 61122149448, is not for AHL. It's apparently for converting from prelci xenon to lci xenon, but exactly how to connect it is what I'm trying to figure out now. Best guess now is it has to do with the shutter and the 3LED side markers.

Second, the wire that I was talking about, 61120404040, is indeed for the AHL, and is the same for prelci vs lci. I cannot find this wire online and intend to make my own. The official retrofit guide shows how to wire this - you need to get the pins from the dealer and wire it up. I'll let you know when I get the wires and pins, I not exactly sure which ones so I ordered all of them.

Third, in the most recent discussions, I was talking about the first cable again, the prelci xenon to lci xenon cable

If only you were closer to the bay area, then we can work on this together

Oh man i am so happy I found this thread. I'm going through the same problems. I did a conversion from prelci xenon to Lci xenon without doing any retrofitting. It works except for my turn signal lights staying on and my headlights going cross-eyed when turning a certain way ahaha. Im not very knowledgable with all this and was hopping you can help me out with this problem since ur located in the Bay Area. I don't care much for the 3 led corner lights but I do want my turn signals deleted.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #27
brakthru
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope335i View Post
Oh man i am so happy I found this thread. I'm going through the same problems. I did a conversion from prelci xenon to Lci xenon without doing any retrofitting. It works except for my turn signal lights staying on and my headlights going cross-eyed when turning a certain way ahaha. Im not very knowledgable with all this and was hopping you can help me out with this problem since ur located in the Bay Area. I don't care much for the 3 led corner lights but I do want my turn signals deleted.
hey Pope335i or anyone can who has the answer would be appreciated.

Looking to do the same thing and was hoping you could help. I have 2007 335i sedan with xenons adaptive headlights and using frm2 module. I can't seem to find final answer regarding my situation. I want lci headlight xenon without adaptive. There seems to be mixed info out there. Did you ever get your situation worked out with adaptive and leds and what did you do to fix it. Also, do you know...
1.Do i need to rewire anything or repin since im going from pre lci xenon adaptive to lci xenon non adaptive with frm2. i dont care about the 3 leds.
2.I have the bmwhat app which can code some things. Do i need to code anything?
3. if coding is needed, for what functions.
Thanks you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #28
pope335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru
Quote:
hey Pope335i or anyone can who has the answer would be appreciated.

Looking to do the same thing and was hoping you could help. I have 2007 335i sedan with xenons adaptive headlights and using frm2 module. I can't seem to find final answer regarding my situation. I want lci headlight xenon without adaptive. There seems to be mixed info out there. Did you ever get your situation worked out with adaptive and leds and what did you do to fix it. Also, do you know...
1.Do i need to rewire anything or repin since im going from pre lci xenon adaptive to lci xenon non adaptive with frm2. i dont care about the 3 leds.
2.I have the bmwhat app which can code some things. Do i need to code anything?
3. if coding is needed, for what functions.
Thanks you for your help.
I'm sorry i haven't gotten to fixing it yet. I'm also still trying to find some help but no one has gotten back to me. I'll let u know if I find out anything. Or let me know if you do too! Goodluck man!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 03:21 AM   #29
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
I'm sorry i haven't gotten to fixing it yet. I'm also still trying to find some help but no one has gotten back to me. I'll let u know if I find out anything. Or let me know if you do too! Goodluck man!
Guys, sorry it's been a while since I looked into it. I got the parts but because of time constraints I never went further, and sold some of the parts instead. Who knows, I might start working on this project again...

Pope335i, I don't think the crosseyedness has anything to do with the retrofit. For the turn signal, this is what I found in my notes:

"For 3led side markers, add wires to pin 7 of both headlight connectors, and connect to pin50/x14261 and pin8/x14260. Use the other pair of the retrofit cable for this, the colors match up as well.
Black/Blue (SW/BL): 7/x13421 (R) to 8/x14260
Black/Green (SW/GN): 7/x13420 (L) to 50/x14261"

brakthru, if you 1. don't care about the leds then you can ignore the above 2 and 3. I don't have the bmwhat app, I use NCSEXPERT/INPA/DIS instead so I have no clue how you can code this. However, if it's like NCSEXPERT, then look for $524 (AHL), you want to remove that option from both NFRM/FRM2 and CAS.

And if either of you have problems with the high beam, then to enable inner halogen light as high beam and essentially reactivate the bixenon:
Search for
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03
Change it to
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

If you are having problems with some bulb that you don't care, just find the corresponding line and set the automatic testing of the bulb to "not active":
Disable Bulb Testing in Headlights
NFRM module
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_FL to nicht_aktiv (high beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_FL to nicht_aktiv (high beam warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_VO to nicht_aktiv (turn signal cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_VO to nicht_aktiv (turn signal warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right warm)
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left error code)
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right error code)

Hope that helps!!

Last edited by dylim; 03-14-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #30
pope335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim
Quote:
Guys, sorry it's been a while since I looked into it. I got the parts but because of time constraints I never went further, and sold some of the parts instead. Who knows, I might start working on this project again...

Pope335i, I don't think the crosseyedness has anything to do with the retrofit. For the turn signal, this is what I found in my notes:

"For 3led side markers, add wires to pin 7 of both headlight connectors, and connect to pin50/x14261 and pin8/x14260. Use the other pair of the retrofit cable for this, the colors match up as well.

brakthru, if you 1. don't care about the leds then you can ignore the above 2 and 3. I don't have the bmwhat app, I use NCSEXPERT/INPA/DIS instead so I have no clue how you can code this. However, if it's like NCSEXPERT, then look for $524 (AHL), you want to remove that option from both NFRM/FRM2 and CAS.

And if either of you have problems with the high beam, then to enable inner halogen light as high beam and essentially reactivate the bixenon:
Search for
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03
Change it to
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

If you are having problems with some bulb that you don't care, just find the corresponding line and set the automatic testing of the bulb to "not active":
NFRM module

Hope that helps!!
Thanks man I appreciate the help! I don't care much about the 3 led's and I might just delete the side ambers if I can code them out but I don't know what to do with the crosseyed problem. U think one is euro and one is us? Or is there a switch somewhen to fix one of them?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #31
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate the help! I don't care much about the 3 led's and I might just delete the side ambers if I can code them out but I don't know what to do with the crosseyed problem. U think one is euro and one is us? Or is there a switch somewhen to fix one of them?
As far as I know, the diff between US and Euro is the light pattern - if you drive on the right side of the road the pattern would be lower to the left and if you drive on the left side the pattern would be lower to the right. This is to avoid blinding incoming traffic. To change this pattern you need to flip a switch in the housing, but this is irrelevant to your problem.

If you have replaced the AHL modules or used second hand ones, it could be that you got two modules coded for the same side.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #32
pope335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As far as I know, the diff between US and Euro is the light pattern - if you drive on the right side of the road the pattern would be lower to the left and if you drive on the left side the pattern would be lower to the right. This is to avoid blinding incoming traffic. To change this pattern you need to flip a switch in the housing, but this is irrelevant to your problem.

If you have replaced the AHL modules or used second hand ones, it could be that you got two modules coded for the same side.
Oh dang.. U think it's possible to code the modules back to how it's supposed to be? Sorry so many questions. Don't wanna annoy you with all them. Just not familiar with all this
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #33
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh dang.. U think it's possible to code the modules back to how it's supposed to be? Sorry so many questions. Don't wanna annoy you with all them. Just not familiar with all this
I think so, can you post a video of the crosseyedness? Also the part numbers of the AHL modules, the more info the better!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #34
pope335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think so, can you post a video of the crosseyedness? Also the part numbers of the AHL modules, the more info the better!
Sure thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #35
brakthru
Private
Rep

Quote:

Search for
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03
Change it to
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

NFRM module

Hope that helps!!
I appreciate your help dylim. If i install the lci xenon without ahl, will the auto level still work without coding out the ahl? Also, if i dont code out the ahl right away what will happen. Just error message possibly. Or will the headlamps look crossed eyed. Also, im finding lci xenons on ebay with afs. I dont have afs on my pre lci. Will this be a problem. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #36
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I appreciate your help dylim. If i install the lci xenon without ahl, will the auto level still work without coding out the ahl? Also, if i dont code out the ahl right away what will happen. Just error message possibly. Or will the headlamps look crossed eyed. Also, im finding lci xenons on ebay with afs. I dont have afs on my pre lci. Will this be a problem. Thanks.
The auto level should work independently from the AHL, but I'm not sure if you can code them separately. If you don't code out the AHL right away I don't think any thing bad would happen. It's impossible for your lights to become cross eyed since without AHL they can only move manually.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #37
brakthru
Private
Rep

Quote:
The auto level should work independently from the AHL, but I'm not sure if you can code them separately. If you don't code out the AHL right away I don't think any thing bad would happen. It's impossible for your lights to become cross eyed since without AHL they can only move manually.
Ok. When i get the xenons installed, should i reduce the voltage in frm for the led turn signals? If so, what voltage do you recommend? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #38
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

This is something I've been meaning to do, just never had the time. Glad I found this thread, although a little unclear on some of the terminology. pre lci xenon to lci xenon.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #39
riso1988
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

hey everyone - sorry to resurrect an old thread.

In the process of doing a 2006 E90 pre-lci xenon to lci xenon conversion. I hooked the headlights up and all seems to work except I get a parking light error on both sides and I get an Adaptive Control malfunction/error.

I'm wondering if one of the AHL modules are faulty (one looked corroded) or if this is normal. I'm not sure if the adaptive function works as I haven't installed the headlights yet, just plugged them in to see if it would work. I believe you need to be turning at a certain speed to see them move correct?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0