E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Self inflicted...what have you done?

05-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Self inflicted...what have you done?

Reversing the 35i into my garage today, sun was shining through the glass in the back door, I hadn't cleaned the car in weeks despite being sat at home & the door mirrors were filthy & with the sun shining in the passenger side mirror I couldn't really see out of it properly (am getting my excuses lined up!).

Am three quarters in the garage when the passenger door mirror just clips the garage door mechanism & all I could do was watch the fucking door swing down (almost like it was in slow motion) & crash down on to the bonnet, bounce off & come back down on the bonnet again

It left a long bottom of garage door shaped dent across the raised section of the bonnet from one side to the other.

So after having a beer or two I thought I'd see if I could make it look a bit better & pull it out somehow, so in a moment of genius I decided to have a go at it with my glass carrying suction tool & after playing around with it for half hour or so 95% of it has popped out & if one didn't know it was there it be difficult to notice, it also helps that it's silver as it hides dirt & dings very nicely

Anyways just thought I'd share
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 05-30-2020 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

I think I can beat that!

Me and my little'un decided to go for a bike ride today. So bikes on the car and off we went. Got to the destination and while pulling in to the car park I totally forgot about the extra height with the bikes on the roof and drove straight in to the height limit bar thats there to stop pikeys etc.

Ripped the bikes, cycle carriers and roof bars right off the car. Amazingly my bike appears to be undamaged. My little'uns bike just has a damaged saddle. My car however now has a dent in the roof, the shark fin is damaged, the spoiler is all scuffed up and my boot lid has a small dent.

Fortunately my cycle carriers are still ok, so I managed to straighten out the bent roof bar enough to get it all back on the car so we could get home.
My next door neighbour has a body shop so he is going to sort it for me but it's still gonna cost me the thick end of about £800 ( he's gonna spray my bumper as well as it has lacquer peel).
Surely no one has been more moronic than that today?
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
That certainly beats mine Nick

One upside of this lockdown is that I haven't sold the 35i & replaced it with a nice shiny f or g31, then I really would have had the hump.

Will the dents not pop out?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The dent in the roof should, but because the shark fin is damaged, the roof liner has got to come out. There is also a small dent right by one of the roof rails which I think will need a little more work. The dent in the boot lid will need to be pulled out. There is also a deep scratch in the boot lid. The roof spoiler will definitely need painting.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
That's a bit of a shitter.

When I had the e39 540i i'd parked it half on a pavement outside a shop. When I went to leave someone had parked in front of me, I put it into reverse & didn't notice the lamp post a metre or so behind me, put a big crease in the rear bumper & boot lid.

I'd only had the car about six months, I wasnt best pleased with myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

You know what, I think I can beat that one as well!
Back in 2001 I bought myself a brand new Suzuki GSXR600. The morning after I picked it up from the dealer I thought I'd take it to work to show the boys! Went out to the garage at 05:30, started the bike up, left it on its stand while I turned to close the garage and because the entrance was on a very slight incline, the bloody thing vibrates off the stand and fell over which caused £600 of damage. I hadn't even owned it for 24hrs! Needless to say I picked it up, put it back in the garage and took the car!
I will never ever forget that moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Come on guys, it cant just be me and chappers that are complete morons!
Let's here your tales of stupidity!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
You know what, I think I can beat that one as well!
Back in 2001 I bought myself a brand new Suzuki GSXR600. The morning after I picked it up from the dealer I thought I'd take it to work to show the boys! Went out to the garage at 05:30, started the bike up, left it on its stand while I turned to close the garage and because the entrance was on a very slight incline, the bloody thing vibrates off the stand and fell over which caused £600 of damage. I hadn't even owned it for 24hrs! Needless to say I picked it up, put it back in the garage and took the car!
I will never ever forget that moment.
That's funny.

Similar thing for me.
When I was 17 i had a year old Vespa PX125 i'd kitted it up to a 180cc soon as if bought it & after a couple of months I decided to have a 200cc engine with a 225 kit put in it.

I popped in the place that was doing the work on the off chance it was ready & it was but I didn't have my lid with me so I decided to push it the couple of miles home (I had extensive experience of pushing scooters).
I got to the level crossing & the gates were down, so I thought I'd rest my legs & sit on the scooter kinda side saddle. The bloody thing toppled over with me on it, not much damage but there was a long queue of traffic with the obligatory builders van & people standing waiting.

Oh the the red faced humiliation of having stand there once I'd picked myself & the scooter up & waiting for the gates to go up

Last edited by Chappers 71; 05-31-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:56 AM   #9
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Not in the same league as you gentlemen but I did something a bit stupid the other day. After finishing my full front end suspension and steering refurb I forgot the front of my car is way too low to get the trolley jack under the front centre jacking point. After removing the axle stands I lowered it without watching to the sound of cracking plastic! Just to add to the stupidity I’d left the plastic carrying handle in the raised position which punch a hole straight through the under tray Luckily there was just enough pumping action left in the jack to get it back up in the air and put some wood under the wheels before lowering it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:28 AM   #10
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

A year or 2 ago I went to park up at work. Parking there is always a shit show, but I spotted a space that looked just like my car would fit in! I bossed it in like a champ, and sure enough most of the car did fit, but my passenger wing mirror clipped that of the next car (which was reverse parked). Having parked, I then realised that there wasn't enough space for me to get out of the door...it was all a bit tight! Instead of being reasonable and folding in my wing mirror to get out, of the space, I decided I could avoid the clash a second time. Reversed out very carefully, and just when I thought I was clear, the next cars wing mirror caught the cap of my wing mirror, and ripped it off! I found a better place to park, and went back to inspect the damage - not a mark on their car, but all but one of the clips on my wing mirror cap were broken. I popped it back on, but every time my passenger door closes I get reminded that I'm a moron by the clatter of a loose mirror cap.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:39 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think I can beat that!

Me and my little'un decided to go for a bike ride today. So bikes on the car and off we went. Got to the destination and while pulling in to the car park I totally forgot about the extra height with the bikes on the roof and drove straight in to the height limit bar thats there to stop pikeys etc.

Ripped the bikes, cycle carriers and roof bars right off the car. Amazingly my bike appears to be undamaged. My little'uns bike just has a damaged saddle. My car however now has a dent in the roof, the shark fin is damaged, the spoiler is all scuffed up and my boot lid has a small dent.

Fortunately my cycle carriers are still ok, so I managed to straighten out the bent roof bar enough to get it all back on the car so we could get home.
My next door neighbour has a body shop so he is going to sort it for me but it's still gonna cost me the thick end of about £800 ( he's gonna spray my bumper as well as it has lacquer peel).
Surely no one has been more moronic than that today?
I used to work in a bike shop. Once a customer came in to collect their new bike - nothing crazy, but a fairly nice Trek roadie...maybe £800 worth. They left the shop with their new bike, with no issues - happy customer. They arrived back in the shop with their new bike maybe half an hour later... They'd put in on their roof carrier and driven straight into a height restriction barrier. For sure most of the bike was salvageable, but the frame was bent and there was no way we were going to reuse the carbon forks on their replacement frame. We did them a deal on putting all their undamaged components onto a new frame and fork (free labour), but that brain fart probably cost them something like £500 and some dignity.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I used to work in a bike shop. Once a customer came in to collect their new bike - nothing crazy, but a fairly nice Trek roadie...maybe £800 worth. They left the shop with their new bike, with no issues - happy customer. They arrived back in the shop with their new bike maybe half an hour later... They'd put in on their roof carrier and driven straight into a height restriction barrier. For sure most of the bike was salvageable, but the frame was bent and there was no way we were going to reuse the carbon forks on their replacement frame. We did them a deal on putting all their undamaged components onto a new frame and fork (free labour), but that brain fart probably cost them something like £500 and some dignity.
Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #13
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

i once jammed my head in the drivers door window as it was shutting, as i was leaning out chatting to someone. Wouldnt be so bad if electric but i was winding it up at the time!
Appreciate 1
x77md82.00
      06-01-2020, 04:24 AM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
i once jammed my head in the drivers door window as it was shutting, as i was leaning out chatting to someone. Wouldnt be so bad if electric but i was winding it up at the time!

Having hospitalised myself last night on a bike ride, without even falling off my bike, this makes me feel a bit less daft!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:31 AM   #15
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Bloody hell you boys LOL.

I've reversed my car into a bollard and reversed the same car in the work carpark basement garage into a metal duct.

But probably the worst was pulling my mums E30 out the garage and misjudged it and pulled the front bumper off as the edge just caught the garage door.
      06-08-2020, 02:32 AM   #16
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
That one has to be the best.
      06-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well things are looking up for me! My new Sharkfin arrived today - a £14 bargain from a breaker. Yes its white, but that doesn't matter cos my car needs paint anyway so it'll just be painted with the rest of the stuff. Spoke to my neighbour today and looks like he's booking it in for the week after next
So not much longer for me to have to look at the damage I stupidly caused! Oh and my daughters new bike seat arrived the other day so she's happy again
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:35 AM   #18
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well things are looking up for me! My new Sharkfin arrived today - a £14 bargain from a breaker. Yes its white, but that doesn't matter cos my car needs paint anyway so it'll just be painted with the rest of the stuff. Spoke to my neighbour today and looks like he's booking it in for the week after next
So not much longer for me to have to look at the damage I stupidly caused! Oh and my daughters new bike seat arrived the other day so she's happy again
Nice one. All be sorted soon then.
      06-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #19
jambler
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d N47

Well I snapped 3/4 glow plugs in my head last week. Had to drill and re tap the threads. What a ball ache. Then with zero energy left and putting the manifold back on I snapped one of the manifold bolts in the head also.

Lessons learned. More Plus Gas and don't work on your engine when tired. What's the rush?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:06 AM   #20
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well my car is back to her best now! My next door neighbour had the car all week and brought it back yesterday and he has done an amazing job. It's just like it never happened, with the added bonus of having the lacquer peel sorted on the bumper as well. I am one very happy bunny
Appreciate 0