E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OUCH, this is going to need more than a refurb

11-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

KDS is BMW parlance for a full 4-wheel alignment check. Not only does it look at toe-in, camber and thrust angle, it also checks castor, steering wheel angle and weights the car down to accurately represent how it sits on a normal road. Obviously with a load in the car, the angles of the wheels change ever so slightly, but it seems to have quite a pronounced effect on our cars.

It's the only system that actually resets a car back to exact factory spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Ouch! If it were a pothole then get round there and get some pics of the defect and get onto the council for not maintaining the road and details of how to claim against them.

How fast were you going?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #25
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Pothole??? Are you sure? even when I had my flying excursion over the kerb at 40mph the damage wasn't that bad!
      11-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Pothole??? Are you sure? even when I had my flying excursion over the kerb at 40mph the damage wasn't that bad!
guys read the sodding posts!! it wasnt a pot hole, i was saying ive gone down pot holes where the IMPACT felt worse than this one which has wrecked the alloy (curb)

sorry if i am being flippant im just so pissed off still:sad0147:

think it was one of those weird things they put next to the kurb to protect it, loads of weird objects tied together!!

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
      11-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Ouch! If it were a pothole then get round there and get some pics of the defect and get onto the council for not maintaining the road and details of how to claim against them.

How fast were you going?
about 60 Matt!! no faster, only glanced the fucker, didnt go over it.. im hoping the shell/ geometry will be fine as it was only a glance and it looks like the wheel took the impact well

Carlos
      11-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
about 60 Matt!! no faster, only glanced the fucker, didnt go over it.. im hoping the shell/ geometry will be fine as it was only a glance and it looks like the wheel took the impact well

Carlos

Bad luck matey. If there was something sticking out from the curb, and wasn't part of the curb structure itself, then if it didn't have any extra markings or warnings to advise motorists then you may have case to claim. If it is part of the curb then unfortunately that'll have to be chalked up to life experience.

The only way to know whether the geometry is out is to get it KDSd I'm afraid. You could try taking your car to a local wheel alignment centre but they most likely don't have the most uptodate settings for your car. Also, they won't be able to check for things like castor angle. Hard to swallow, but better to know that your car is 100% ok and get it checked out at your local friendly dealer. I hesitate to say this, given all the problems I've had, but you might want to give Steve Corrie a call at Sytner's in Harold Wood - say you're a mate of mine off the forum and I've told you to call him, explain what's happened, and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal, just to keep ME happy!! You've got nothing to lose... (01708 371234.. don't go to his voicemail, ask to be put through to Wendy Neville at Service Reception)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Bad luck matey. If there was something sticking out from the curb, and wasn't part of the curb structure itself, then if it didn't have any extra markings or warnings to advise motorists then you may have case to claim. If it is part of the curb then unfortunately that'll have to be chalked up to life experience.

The only way to know whether the geometry is out is to get it KDSd I'm afraid. You could try taking your car to a local wheel alignment centre but they most likely don't have the most uptodate settings for your car. Also, they won't be able to check for things like castor angle. Hard to swallow, but better to know that your car is 100% ok and get it checked out at your local friendly dealer. I hesitate to say this, given all the problems I've had, but you might want to give Steve Corrie a call at Sytner's in Harold Wood - say you're a mate of mine off the forum and I've told you to call him, explain what's happened, and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal, just to keep ME happy!! You've got nothing to lose... (01708 371234.. don't go to his voicemail, ask to be put through to Wendy Neville at Service Reception)

Mate your a star

ill give him a bell tomorrow when i arise from sleepy time after a nights hard work!

is steve the parts guy or whats his title?

Carlos
      11-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

:sad0147:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mate your a star

ill give him a bell tomorrow when i arise from sleepy time after a nights hard work!

is steve the parts guy or whats his title?

Carlos

He's the Assistant Service Manager. Just speak to him and he'll organise the rest for you. Tell him you know he gave me a good price for my rim and did the KDS for me too (twice). You can also tell him that everyone on the forum knows I've been having major problems with my car, and that you hope he'll be able to check out your car properly. If I were you though, I'd get your tyres (you'll need to replacement both fronts as the difference in tread will be huge) from Elite Direct, who are cheaper. Take the tires from Elite to BMW and the tyre guy at Sytners (name is Lee) will fit them and balance them properly. Have to say he really is bloody good, and only ever accepts a 0-0 balance reading (most companies will accept a 0-5 reading which isn't actually exactly balanced)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #32
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He's the Assistant Service Manager. Just speak to him and he'll organise the rest for you. Tell him you know he gave me a good price for my rim and did the KDS for me too (twice). You can also tell him that everyone on the forum knows I've been having major problems with my car, and that you hope he'll be able to check out your car properly. If I were you though, I'd get your tyres (you'll need to replacement both fronts as the difference in tread will be huge) from Elite Direct, who are cheaper. Take the tires from Elite to BMW and the tyre guy at Sytners (name is Lee) will fit them and balance them properly. Have to say he really is bloody good, and only ever accepts a 0-0 balance reading (most companies will accept a 0-5 reading which isn't actually exactly balanced)
im so depressed right now, i just want to cry

how much was your KDS? i know your rim was 290+VAT

thanks for the number mate,

i feel like the car is dead, it will never been the same.. surely something will be amiss and it wont ever handle exactly right ever again? i know im a drama queen but i hate cars which have been spanked.. its like my miswah has had her arse slapped at work, feels like that arse aint mine no more:sad0147:

Carlos
      11-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #33
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
im so depressed right now, i just want to cry

how much was your KDS? i know your rim was 290+VAT

thanks for the number mate,

i feel like the car is dead, it will never been the same.. surely something will be amiss and it wont ever handle exactly right ever again? i know im a drama queen but i hate cars which have been spanked.. its like my miswah has had her arse slapped at work, feels like that arse aint mine no more:sad0147:

Carlos
you should go claim that arse back matey..!

the car will be fine once it's been checked over. It'll cost a bit, but that's life unfortunately. I know I've had my own problems with my car, but I have to admit and be fair to the dealer that it's not the KDS that's been at fault, but an inherent problem with one of the parts on the vehicle.

A KDS will return it to factory spec, a new wheel and two new tyres will make everything new again. I promise you you won't notice the difference. It's not like having half the car rebuilt!! You want me to send him an email to let him know you're going to call? I'll most likely be at the dealers tomorrow if you want to meet me there.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #34
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
sooooo angry

look, its ruined:sad0147:

wonder how much a new wheel will be?!

Carlos:sad0147::sad0147::sad0147::sad0147::sad0147 ::sad0147::sad0147:
Bad luck fandango.

Possibly worth an insurance claim .. it's accident damage after all.

I did something similar (not as bad) a couple of years ago when I clipped a kerb.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #35
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

oh, and i can't tell you how much the KDS was as it was done under warranty, but I think from memory it's around the £250 mark
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #36
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i can't tell you how much the KDS was
Can you tell us what a KDS is ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #37
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

If you claim on insurance, you'll claim the KDS, wheel and one tyre. You'll still have to pay for the other tyre to match. So you'll be able to claim about £820 I reckon - pay your excess (don't know how much your excess is, maybe £250?) and lose one years of no-claims. Insurance premium will go up next year by maybe £250 because of the claim?? So is there really any benefit in claiming against the insurance?? Not worth it IMO...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Can you tell us what a KDS is ?

KDS is BMW parlance for a full 4-wheel alignment check. Not only does it look at toe-in, camber and thrust angle, it also checks castor, steering wheel angle and weights the car down to accurately represent how it sits on a normal road. Obviously with a load in the car, the angles of the wheels change ever so slightly, but it seems to have quite a pronounced effect on our cars.

It's the only system that actually resets a car back to exact factory spec
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #39
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Thats really shite - unlucky mate.

One hell of an impact though to rip the alloy. Needs to be checked out properly.

You could always cruise the area, find a meaty pothole (there are bound to be a few thousand to choose from) and blame those useless tosspots at the Council anyway.

I have to drive home occasionally over a speed hump in a 20 mph zone and ground out on the f**ker at 2 mph so, in my view, the muppets being paid to design and maintain the roads deserve all they get.

....... hypothetically of course ......
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
PAKMAN
Lieutenant General
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.50]
2006 e90 330i  [5.50]
how.// did that happen?
      11-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #41
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you claim on insurance, you'll claim the KDS, wheel and one tyre. You'll still have to pay for the other tyre to match. So you'll be able to claim about £820 I reckon - pay your excess (don't know how much your excess is, maybe £250?) and lose one years of no-claims. Insurance premium will go up next year by maybe £250 because of the claim?? So is there really any benefit in claiming against the insurance?? Not worth it IMO...
What if your no claims bonus is protected? Does a claim still up your premium?

My insurance is paid though work, so I would just claim for anything and everything.

If Fandango can't drive batten down the 'off topic' hatches
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #42
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
What if your no claims bonus is protected? Does a claim still up your premium?

My insurance is paid though work, so I would just claim for anything and everything.

If Fandango can't drive batten down the 'off topic' hatches

If your no-claims is protected, the you won't lose your bonus discount, but your premium may still go up because you've had an accident/claimed for damage. You'll still get a loading on your premium because of it, but you'll retain your discount percentage.

Insurance companies will always find a way of charging you more, regardless of the whole protected no-claims..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #43
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If your no-claims is protected, the you won't lose your bonus discount, but your premium may still go up because you've had an accident/claimed for damage. You'll still get a loading on your premium because of it, but you'll retain your discount percentage.

Insurance companies will always find a way of charging you more, regardless of the whole protected no-claims..
Harsh .. so they get you either way
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #44
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Holy f*ck - that is the worst kerbed alloy i have ever seen!!!!
Very sorry to see that, man.

You are very lucky none of the airbags went off in the car.

A few years back when I went round a country road left hand corner in my old E46 330cd, I clipped a sharp edged stone sticking out of the muddy ditch.

I dented both nearside alloys, damaged both tyres, and set off the side airbags in the door and roof.
I had to get 2 new alloys and tyres, new airbags, new leather door card, and new roof lining. (both were ripped by bags deploying)

Total bill £2800 - for clipping a bloody stone
Appreciate 0