E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > X marks the Sport. BMW M100, X2, X4 M, X7, X8 and New Sport Activity Sedan Niche

03-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

X marks the Sport. BMW M100, X2, X4 M, X7, X8 and New Sport Activity Sedan Niche

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
X marks the Sport.

The following relates to ideas under discussion and evaluation. Whereas some concepts show promise to production reality. Some show discussions and conception in regards to market and growth projections.

It is not a question of just product planning but a reaction to growth in the segment. The SUV segment whether in city , compact , entry , mid , large or luxury continue to grow and grow.

BMWs current line of X1 , X3 , X5 and X6 are no doubt huge sellers and contributors to BMWs successful global sales.
Porsche sell more Cayennes than the car that defines the brand the 911. And the new Range Rover is eclipsing established luxury sedans in sales. And then look at the X5.

Sales are high even though we are not that distant from the third generation X5. The worlds first Sport Activity Vehicle which put dynamics ahead of utility.

From the X5 introduction in 1999 to the present combined BMW X vehicles are fast approaching. 3 Million units.

The BMW X4 and the Porsche Macan will be the first vehicles in that segment to offer customers performance , dynamics and style in an exclusive individual sporting body style. X4 is a response to demand for an accessible answer to the successful X6 concept . The first Sport Activity Coupe for the premium segment.

There is demand for such a car like the BMW X4 that the car is moving quickly, with the car taking a first look at the upcoming Shanghai autoshow in April.

After which we will begin the countdown to the third generation BMW X5.

As the sales figures justify, BMW are in no hurry to replace the current car yet, its summer debut will follow a global premiere at the IAA in Frankfurt.

But where does the future go?

The arrival of the next generation BMW X1 announces a departure to a new platform matrix as well as a new drivetrain option. But what is essentially important is that with SAV sales rising especially in Asia , BMW will break the mold and offer a locally produced first with an extended wheelbase X1.

Believe it or not but Chinese customers are looking for such a concept especially in an SAV.

Below the X1 there will be BMWs multi-optioned vehicle dubbed FAST. The Family Activity Sports Tourer. A new niche on the crossover theme mixing sportier Touring like looks , MPV flexibility and SAV solidity - the finished car is certainly genre busting but it has huge potential under the guise as the SWiss concept because it conforms to the idea of a Swiss Army knife in its range of ability.

Potentially a 3er model with RWD and X-Drive is also being considered.

With the BMW X3 there is potential for a further model , especially for those that need extended flexibility but still crave dynamic looks like a Sport Activity Coupe. Internally known as Xsport the idea is to offer a slightly longer wheelbase incorporating extra seats but with a more dynamic roof line towards the rear and rising glasshouse to offer increased sportiness and more flexibility such a model is considered for the US market and those who have extra flexibility needs. If you look at how the Range Rover Sport fits with the Range Rover you can understand the same with the Xsport.

The new Range Rover has shown the luxury market that luxury SUVs are the successor to the large luxury sedan , with Bentley following suit with their large luxury based SUV. Mercedes'es G-Force concept showcased S-Klasse potential as an SUV.

Rolls-Royce are against the concept for the brand because if a RR Customer can afford a RR he can surely afford the best of everything which as it stands is the new Range Rover.

What Norbert Reithofer is in favour of is a larger BMW SAV a luxury Activity vehicle based off the next 7er platform with its significant weight reduction due to a mixture of lightweight materials. The idea is to capture the different sportier appearance of the first generation X5 which at the time showed how individuality led to success. But at the size of a Range Rover but more athletic , with a rising glasshouse and dynamic roofline as per BMW X design.

The progression of exclusivity for the BMW X7 would mean the first production V12 SAV model although BMW has evaluated V12s in the E53 previously although not just in the X5 LeMans but also evaluated the previous V12 within the E53.

Although nothing is definite a high performance M variant using the ideas of the Le Mans could have potential.

The Sport Activity Coupe for the premium market has for the X6 been so successful that BMWs competitors are planning similar concepts that have yet to appear on the market. The X6 led the benchmark which the X4 will follow using the same philosophy but downsized for a more accessible market.

Internally BMW have high confidence for the X4 that they have requested an X4M because of the potential of the entire project. BMW believe that the X4 with a more sporting dynamic outline and exceptional driving dynamics will open the door to further customer expansion , especially from an engine range that will mimic its twin- the X3 which will offer customers a range of options.

The X6 due to its success will be replaced in 2015. And like the X4 will spearhead much further differentiation in style and dynamics to increase the appeal of the Sport Activity Coupe models. Whilst they will be twins underneath like the current car , X6 will once again offer a more sporting driving experience aswell as the latest update in BMWs acclaimed torque vectoring control.

With the potential of an X4 early development has also commenced on a BMW X2 model to spearhead the progressive growth of compact premium cars.

The BMW X2 will be a sister car to the X1 but for the first time will offer a Coupe and a five dr model as marketing has denied BMWs X4 and X6 to be 3drs as their market demands 5drs. Again downsizing the X6 and X4 to the compact segment and twinned with the BMW X1 and replacements for the MINI Countryman and PACEMAN . The Coupe model is something that has gone before and resorts back to the 2001 BMW Xcoupe by combining a coupe like appearance with commanding impression and solidity of an SAV. With the X2 being in the premium compact segment it will provide customers with an accessible entry point but in a very stylish looking sports car concept.

Sport Activity Sedan

Possibly the most interesting idea for a new niche in response to declining market trends is an unconvential crossover that combines a Sedan with an SAV.

Dubbed Sport Activity Sedan the concept is not new to BMW as they have looked at potential models to use the idea including the X4 when the first generation X3 was conceived. Although no final decision has been declared, the decline of the luxury sedan against the SUV has spurred on early evaluations to combine the solidity and commanding appearance of an SAV with an outline of a sedan and a conventional sedan trunk but with a commanding position of a regular SAV.

Expected to be twinned with the X7, X8 could offer customers the best of both worlds - luxury and outline of a luxury sedan with the security of xDrive and solidity of an activity vehicle in overall appearance.

With the SAV making gains across conventional luxury sedans another niche is also taking advantage of declining luxury sedan sales and that is of the four door Coupe. The BMW 6er Gran Coupe is one example but another concept remains as a potential market sustainable model.

With Rolls-Royce unaffected by the decline of the premium sedan , the strategy is position BMW further into the luxury segment to bridge the BMW brand to Rolls-Royce and take advantage of the 1 million global luxury vehicle sales by 2016. The X7 and potential X8 are ideas developed to take advantage aswell as a production reality replacement for the CS Concept and M100 super sports car.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 27306
Size:  56.2 KB

Last edited by SCOTT26; 03-20-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
jvaros
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320td (E46 Compact)

Hi Scott26!!
Great info. I'm not a big fan of SUV/SAV/SAC, etc, but I do understand its economical relevance for BMW.
I really hope BMW is able to make use of some weight reduction tech on these cars thought.

BTW, do you know if this famous mystery "concept" was a design study for an X4?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289289

Thanks a lot for your great job.

Víctor
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
X marks the Sport!?

Back in it´s Day´s "BMW marks the Sports". There was no need do a "Spot on" to a single Car, cause every BMW was sporty.Whats now...Massive Understeer, crappy RFT Tires, soon FWD, no NA Sixcylinders anymore (!!!!). Beaten up from Mercedes at a few Tests (Sports Section (beaten by Mercedes in the SPORTS Section!!!! - New A Class against BMW F20).

Dont get me wrong, i am a BMW Pistonhead! I love my BMW´s esp. the 130i i drive at the Moment. But, i had to change the RFT Tires, i had to change the Wheels Setup to a squared one, i had to put a KW on... and at least, what makes the Car OUTSTANDING, the 3 Liter NA Sixpack and RWD (wich are both soon gone)....

Its going to be "hard Times" for Guys like me, sure Soccer Moms and some Companies will buy those "Sporty X Modells".

Sorry for my english and my Post, but those Marketing blabla is going on my nerves...

Greetings from Munich (that marks the Sport )

Marco

Edit: BMW, go back to Basic!!! Why should BMW-Guys buy Cars like a Toyota GT86? BMW should build Cars like this, NOT 2.5 Tonn SUVs with 600PS and slap a M Badge on...

Edit2: SAVE THE RING!!! BTW
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
wilstave
Legend
Rep
Drives: Loading...

BMW will soon have more car lines than there are market segments
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
ts61gogo
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: Does not exist yet

I see no chances for a X7/X8 in European markets. They'll do fine in Asia and America though.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Scott26 said it first, guys. M-100. The successor to the original M1.
X2, X4, X7, X8, (new) CS concept (8 Series Gran Coupe), and M-100.

It's going to be interesting and exciting next 5-7 years.
What a way to celebrate the centennial.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

All I heard was m100....drool
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
SedateMe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts61gogo View Post
I see no chances for a X7/X8 in European markets. They'll do fine in Asia and America though.
Agreed. Unfortunately I can see them doing really well over here. Not a day goes by in Chicago where I don't see multiple Range Rovers carting around one person and their only cargo is a grande Starbucks...

I understand their direction though. Again, in Chicago I see a lot more X6's than X5's and surprisingly a fair amount of X6M's. I've only ever seen one X5M here.

Hopefully with the new CRP technologies we will see the weight decrease significantly in the coming years so that vehicles like the X7/X8 can exist while still maintaining a hint of fuel economy.

Either way, should be an interesting couple of years!
      03-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts61gogo View Post
If JLR can sell the Range Rover in Europe I see no reason why BMW couldn't sell X7/X8 in Europe. Take a trip to Moscow you'll see more Range Rovers than any BMW X model.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

SO WEIRD. So they can find a market for all of these non-sports cars but they cannot find a market or case for a Z4M. Bad moves BMW, enjoy your cult following while it lasts, you're gonna pay for it in the long-run when all they enthusiasts are gone from your brand. For the first time EVER there are some Mercedes models that handle better than their BMW counterparts. Porsche Cayman S, here I come.
      03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So it sounds like there will be an M100 as a centennial birthday gift to themselves.
      03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

The X7 can be the 3 row seater, the X8 will be the 2 row ultra lux barge.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
SO WEIRD. So they can find a market for all of these non-sports cars but they cannot find a market or case for a Z4M. Bad moves BMW, enjoy your cult following while it lasts, you're gonna pay for it in the long-run when all they enthusiasts are gone from your brand. For the first time EVER there are some Mercedes models that handle better than their BMW counterparts. Porsche Cayman S, here I come.
BMW will also release an M2, I hope and think that will be somehow better than Cayman S!
On the other hand F20 1 series is in big troubles with new Merc A Class, as A250 is faster than an 125i M Sport on a circuit (sport auto magazine (one of the best from Germany) presented a detailed test)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
BMW will also release an M2, I hope and think that will be somehow better than Cayman S!
On the other hand F20 1 series is in big troubles with new Merc A Class, as A250 is faster than an 125i M Sport on a circuit (sport auto magazine (one of the best from Germany) presented a detailed test)
Thats what i say!
And i think theres now Way that the M2 will beat a Cayman S on the Track...

And i forgot somethin in my post above, BMW --> bring back a mechanical LSD!!! At least as an Option!
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Erich2142
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Ducati 848

X7???
Looks like someone wants BMW to go broke.
      03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoz
X7???
I don't know where you get that from. An X7 would sell in decentnumbers, however more importantly BMW would make beaucoup money per car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

bmw will bring the x7 to market by just rebadging the x5 as it gets bigger.. the x3 will become the x5.. and so on
      03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I sincerely hope BMW doesn't do this. We don't lack for wealthy soccer mom movers.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
JerseyBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
For the first time EVER there are some Mercedes models that handle better than their BMW counterparts.

Which ones?
2002 BMW 330ci (second love)
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (first love)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoz View Post
X7???
Never.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

M100?

Hmmm... sounds like to they want to bring out the M1 successor celebrating company's 100 year old anniversary?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBeemer View Post
Which ones?
Mercedes A250 against BMW 125i (F20) . I think it was 2 Sek. at Hockenheim...
Appreciate 0