E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > What causes a MAF to blow??

06-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

What causes a MAF to blow??

My MAF Blew so I ordered a new one, 4 days later that one blew too.

Is my Air flow too rich/,too lean??

What causes these things to go out besides old age/regular use??

I'm about to order a new one, I can't do logs because my AP3 is busted.

Help please!!

PS: My 2nd gear is slipping, has a long/high stall as though it doesn't want to shift, I have to let up off the accelerator.

I bought a new trans valve module, what else do I need (please don't say new trans), all other gears work fine, only 2nd is jacked.

Thanks in advance.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

What do you mean by "blew"? Typically BMW MAFs are pretty robust and while people always suggest replacing them when they throw a code, most of the time they can be cleaned to extend their life a little. Was the new MAF you replaced it with an OEM part or was it aftermarket? From what I have experienced, typically these cars do not do well with an aftermarket MAF and they will throw codes.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
What do you mean by "blew"? Typically BMW MAFs are pretty robust and while people always suggest replacing them when they throw a code, most of the time they can be cleaned to extend their life a little. Was the new MAF you replaced it with an OEM part or was it aftermarket? From what I have experienced, typically these cars do not do well with an aftermarket MAF and they will throw codes.
Well what I meant was basically not working. Yes, it was cleaned (the old one) but that didn't work, so I ordered a new one (original_stock) and it worked for a couple days then went out too.

Thanks for responding.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

How did you determine it is not working?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
Well what I meant was basically not working. Yes, it was cleaned (the old one) but that didn't work, so I ordered a new one (original_stock) and it worked for a couple days then went out too.

Thanks for responding.
The new one could have been a dud? Typically MAFs get gunked up by oil from aftermarket filters/intakes, so that could've been the cause for the first one going out.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0