Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New (to me) 219m setup vibrates at highway speeds.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-25-2023, 01:37 AM   #1
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi Space Grey

New (to me) 219m setup vibrates at highway speeds.

To preface this- bought a 219m wheel and tire setup with used tires. I expected to have to replace the tires within a few months of ownership but noticed a vibration when I get up to highway speeds.

Took the car to a tire shop to find out if the wheels are bent and do a rebalance. Tire shop came to the conclusion that the wheels themselves were not bent but the tires have date codes from 2016. They claimed that the tires would be the source of my issue. All 4 wheels were out of balance as well. Still vibrates at speed.

Before I go out and buy new tires to get no improvement- I am curious if the shop could be incorrect about a bend or if the old tires could be the issue.

Does anyone have any insight on if the tires can solely be my issue or if I should get a second opinion on if the wheels are bent?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by madderhorn View Post
To preface this- bought a 219m wheel and tire setup with used tires. I expected to have to replace the tires within a few months of ownership but noticed a vibration when I get up to highway speeds.

Took the car to a tire shop to find out if the wheels are bent and do a rebalance. Tire shop came to the conclusion that the wheels themselves were not bent but the tires have date codes from 2016. They claimed that the tires would be the source of my issue. All 4 wheels were out of balance as well. Still vibrates at speed.

Before I go out and buy new tires to get no improvement- I am curious if the shop could be incorrect about a bend or if the old tires could be the issue.

Does anyone have any insight on if the tires can solely be my issue or if I should get a second opinion on if the wheels are bent?
did your shop use Roadforce balancer?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #3
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madderhorn View Post

Tire age won't affect anything unless you notice visible rot but tire balance definitely will. Any unbalanced tire will cause vibration and if located in the front, would translate to steering wheel shake. The shop is probably 99% right on the money with this one.

You never mentioned if you got the tires rebalanced however. If your alignment is good and the tires are balanced/have been rebalanced and you're still experiencing vibration, then yes, a bent rim becomes more likely
      02-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Tire age won't affect anything unless you notice visible rot but tire balance definitely will. Any unbalanced tire will cause vibration and if located in the front, would translate to steering wheel shake. The shop is probably 99% right on the money with this one.

You never mentioned if you got the tires rebalanced however. If your alignment is good and the tires are balanced/have been rebalanced and you're still experiencing vibration, then yes, a bent rim becomes more likely
The shop did end up doing a balance- I am sort of suspisious that it wasn't exactly correct as it felt like my vibration transfered from the seat and floors to the steering wheel. I do not see any visible rot and the tire shop guy did point out a few chunks missing from the tire.

I am planning on getting a second opinion sometime this week on if the wheels are bent and get a rebalance. I had this shop recommended to me from a friend because they apparently aren't out to sell you everything under the sun.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
did your shop use Roadforce balancer?
New shop to me so I am unaware- going to see if this other one does that when I go in
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

The tires are probably all dried out and hard, causing them to be out of round or have flat spots. Ancient tires can definitely cause vibrations especially if they'd been sitting for a while.

If your new tires still do the same then the shop either can't balance tires well (that's every shop in Tennessee) or you may have a bend. If they looked for it and came to the conclusion that the wheels are fine, they're probably fine. OE wheels are also very strong.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
The tires are probably all dried out and hard, causing them to be out of round or have flat spots. Ancient tires can definitely cause vibrations especially if they'd been sitting for a while.

If your new tires still do the same then the shop either can't balance tires well (that's every shop in Tennessee) or you may have a bend. If they looked for it and came to the conclusion that the wheels are fine, they're probably fine. OE wheels are also very strong.
Gotcha. Your information is very useful as google kept giving me the same answers over and over that were never really tailored to I feel my situation.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50