Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Reducing wheel well gap while protecting wheels.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #1
jmyer72
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328 xi

Reducing wheel well gap while protecting wheels.

When I got my E90 it had the typical curb checked, bent wheels. I lucked into a smokin’ deal on a nice set of staggered style 286 17” wheels. 8” wide fronts with +34 offset & 8.5” wide rears with +39 offset.

I was never a fan of how much wheel well space there was and our pot hole filled Indiana roads reek havoc on wheels with low profile tires so I started the daunting process of researching and deciding on what tire size combo to go with. Well, I couldn’t be happier with the results!!

Of course I know there will be many that aren’t a fan and that’s okay. But I wanted to share so that others in my situation would have an example to go by.

I went with Toyo Extensa II tires as they were a decent balance between quality, good reviews, and decent price.

225/50 17 front
255/45 17 rear

Only downside is that they’re directional so that means with the staggered setup the only way to do any kind of rotation would require dismounting and “flipping” the tires.

From the moment I pulled out of the Discount Tire parking lot I could feel an improvement in the ride. Plus with every bump, crack in the road, and occasional pothole I was reassured that my decision to go with about 1/2” more sidewall was a good one!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0