E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #45
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm going to chime in here.

$770 is A LOT for these. If you're strapped for cash, source out a reputable retrofitter in your area, and you can get these done with whatever components that you'd like, and get em done without any errors. (A good retrofitter should be able to get them running with no errors). See if you can find a retrofitter on hidplanet.

The costs for the components:
FX-R's - $100
85122+ - $90
ballasts + misc components - $100

+ labor ~$300.

You can probably even do TRS' Mini-moroimotto projector swaps (a projector that requires minimal retrofitting work. to the tune of a 1/3'rd of traditional labor involved) for $100 + another $150 or so for bulbs/ballast + an hour or two of labor.

For future reference, if you have a parts list that you need to buy from TRS, PM me and I'll get you the wholesale price.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #46
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
I'm curious about the angel eyes for DRL too ^

I've got an 08 as well so hopefully mine doesn't have the errors!
lets hope so, have you ordered your set yet? i'm still waiting for the money to be transfered to my account so i can place the order...ehhh i hate banks...
Yeah I ordered mine last Sunday!
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #47
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post

$770 is A LOT for these...

FX-R's - $100
85122+ - $90

+ labor ~$300.
While I completely agree, 770 is a lot for headlights, you're also getting LED turn signals and LED angel eye rings. While this certainly doesn't bring the cost to equilibrium, it's just part of the solution. But I fully support those who are interested in retrofitting projectors to their BMW factory lights, and I'll give 5 internet points to the first person/company who retrofits projectors to the Pre-LCI/LCI Xenons AND keeps the adaptive headlight function intact
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #48
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Yeah it is a pretty penny... But if your not looking to take time and retrofit yourself then this is probably the easiest way to do so. Also, it looks pretty sick. Aren't the headlights black inside?
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #49
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I emailed umnitza just to see how long it should take they said build time is 3-4 days. Today is the 3rd day do hopefully I'll get them sometime next week!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #50
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
My fishcakes will be here on Monday. Now I just need to buy some of the Black-Line tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #51
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
My fishcakes will be here on Monday. Now I just need to buy some of the Black-Line tail lights.
Congrats! btw, can you post the beam pattern and cutoff photos after you are done installing them?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #52
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I emailed umnitza just to see how long it should take they said build time is 3-4 days. Today is the 3rd day do hopefully I'll get them sometime next week!
nice! good luck on the installation man! take lots of photos!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #53
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
nice! good luck on the installation man! take lots of photos!!
Thanks and I will! I'll do a small little review too.

I just hope I'm able to take the bumper off myself.......
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #54
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

ah, i think you may need at least 2 persons to remove the bumper, check out this thread and how they removed the bumper. instructions seemed simple enough but when pulling the bumper off i think it takes two people to do it in balance.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=DEPO+diy
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #55
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
[QUOTE=ecaedus;10774747]
Quote:

ah, i think you may need at least 2 persons to remove the bumper, check out this thread and how they removed the bumper. instructions seemed simple enough but when pulling the bumper off i think it takes two people to do it in balance.

[url]http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404350
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #56
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Wow iPhone app messed up, but if I need someone to help that shouldn't be a problem... After seeing those pictures though it looks like itd be a hard puzzle to put back together lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #57
DOX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 e90

Photos would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #58
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
Photos would be awesome.
1 haha
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #59
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1 haha
hey for your lights did you get the bulbs that came with the headlights or are you going to buy the Philips D2S bulbs? i heard from Umnitza that their own bulbs are about 70% light output compared to the philips ones.

but they sell it for $160 per pair! i think the retrofit source sell it for $95 per pair.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #60
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Big congrats for successfully making the installation!! Only one error warning for a carputer that's known to produce more is not bad at all. I hope my 08 328i would produce no error at all

anyway, hopefully you can code that error away,and definitely send in pictures for the cut off and the AE in action during daytime! i'm sure a lot of us is dying to see these babies in action.

btw, does your AE act like the Daytime running lights? and the inner light bul b inside the halogen highbeam reflector bowl does NOT light up at the same time as the AEs right? because on the halogen lights DRLs are highbeam bulbs running on low power?(and it would be ugly to see both that and the AE are on at the same time during daytime)
Thanks!! I haven't tried the DRLs but when set to Parking Lamps, the Angel Eyes and the turn signal lights up. There is no mini parking light bulb in the high beam housing like the Pre-LCI halogens.

I'll try the DRLs soon. My cutoff is pretty misaligned right now, but I've had a busy week and haven't had the chance to fix it or take pictures. I've been working 13 hour days and it's been raining. So far, no fogging of the headlights.

Quote:
I'm curious about the angel eyes for DRL too ^

I've got an 08 as well so hopefully mine doesn't have the errors!
I doubt 08 will throw errors, but I'm not 100% of course. The newer the car, the less finicky the carputer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post

$770 is A LOT for these. If you're strapped for cash, source out a reputable retrofitter in your area, and you can get these done with whatever components that you'd like, and get em done without any errors. (A good retrofitter should be able to get them running with no errors). See if you can find a retrofitter on hidplanet.

FX-R's - $100
85122+ - $90

+ labor ~$300.

You can probably even do TRS' Mini-moroimotto projector swaps (a projector that requires minimal retrofitting work. to the tune of a 1/3'rd of traditional labor involved) for $100 + another $150 or so for bulbs/ballast + an hour or two of labor.

For future reference, if you have a parts list that you need to buy from TRS, PM me and I'll get you the wholesale price.
I do A LOT of research, and this Umnitza setup came out to the cheapest after parts and labor and shipping. Plus there's minimal work that has to be done by the consumer.

You also get LED turn signals and arguably the brightest LED angel eyes on the market, as was mentioned.

I contacted 3-4 retrofitters (who I will not mention but they're well known), and their prices were all between $600 and $900 for labor and retrofit parts alone. Those prices did not include the headlights. I remember doing a calculation that came out to the cheapest being around $950 elsewhere with DEPO headlights retrofitted and $1,100 with LCI halogen headlights retrofitted. All the wiring would then have to be done by the consumer.

This Umnitza option is well worth the price!

Quote:
Yeah I ordered mine last Sunday!

Quote:
Yeah it is a pretty penny... But if your not looking to take time and retrofit yourself then this is probably the easiest way to do so. Also, it looks pretty sick. Aren't the headlights black inside?
Yep! The DEPOs are blackhoused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
Photos would be awesome.
I'll be adding some pictures to this thread next week sometime (when I have a less busy/rainy week )... can't wait to show you all. I just really hope I can fix the alignment/make the cutoff even.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #61
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Yay! Hopefully it doesn't have any problems!

And that's sweet I didn't realize they were black inside the housing! That'll look sick since my cars all black!

Can't wait to get them!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
deceptiv.335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Pictures Man!! Pictures!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #63
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:

And that's sweet I didn't realize they were black inside the housing! That'll look sick since my cars all black!

Can't wait to get them!
They're more of a matte black, so it's not really a deep shiny black like the color of your paint, but it'll still look really really nice on a black car.

If you look here at the second picture, you can see them better:
http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1167

The corners are more of a graphite, really flows with my SGM paint, but the housing is blackhoused (for the most part) with some chrome shrouds, etc.

So not everything is blackhoused, but most is, and the quality of the housing is superb. My mom's a harsh critic, and she loves them!

ERROR UPDATE:

Tonight as I was driving, my passenger projector just suddenly decides to turn off. Really annoying!! I also got a new error with the car on the lift.

I researched tonight and found someone who had a similar error when installing xenon in a halogen E90. It's the HID kit that is throwing all the errors, so nothing wrong with the DEPOs themselves. The Canbus HID seems to fix most errors, but I still get a "headlight out" error, and now the passenger projector doesn't light up randomly, which means power is not being sent to the passenger ballast, because the car thinks the light is out.

I think I'll be able to fix the issue if I code the car for xenon (VO $522) then follow this process to get the high beam functionality back how Umnitza set it up...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500068

It makes sense that this would do the trick for the low beam error yet still keep the high beam retro bixenon functionality.

I have also been receiving a parking lamp error every so often the last two nights, but it goes away right away (maybe due to the Canbus ballast wiring??). I'm okay with this one, because it goes away, and the angel eyes have never shut off randomly and work perfectly, and so do the LED turn signals.

The only severe error is the low beam, so I'll let you guys know what works for me. What sucks is I have to wait 2 weeks for a coding cable to get here.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #64
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post

Tonight as I was driving, my passenger projector just suddenly decides to turn off. Really annoying!! I also got a new error with the car on the lift.

I researched tonight and found someone who had a similar error when installing xenon in a halogen E90. It's the HID kit that is throwing all the errors, so nothing wrong with the DEPOs themselves. The Canbus HID seems to fix most errors, but I still get a "headlight out" error, and now the passenger projector doesn't light up randomly, which means power is not being sent to the passenger ballast, because the car thinks the light is out.

I think I'll be able to fix the issue if I code the car for xenon (VO $522) then follow this process to get the high beam functionality back how Umnitza set it up...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500068

It makes sense that this would do the trick for the low beam error yet still keep the high beam retro bixenon functionality.

I have also been receiving a parking lamp error every so often the last two nights, but it goes away right away (maybe due to the Canbus ballast wiring??). I'm okay with this one, because it goes away, and the angel eyes have never shut off randomly and work perfectly, and so do the LED turn signals.

The only severe error is the low beam, so I'll let you guys know what works for me. What sucks is I have to wait 2 weeks for a coding cable to get here.
sorry to hear about the error issue, but since your car is a 06 i guess the OBC is just a bit sensitive.

coding ought to do it though. i just placed the order for my set today and hopefully they wont give too many errors!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #65
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
[QUOTE=Trevendous03;10782913]
Quote:

Can't wait to get them!
They're more of a matte black, so it's not really a deep shiny black like the color of your paint, but it'll still look really really nice on a black car.

If you look here at the second picture, you can see them better:
[url]http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?main_page=product_info
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #66
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Damnit this iPhone app I just typed like 3 paragraphs.

How could I miss those pictures, they look great and so do the black side markers. I have matte black grills and wheels so it may match perfect.

That sucks that you got an error, that's a pretty severe one since its your low beam, hopefully you can get it error free and make sure to post what fixes what so once we get our headlights we can fix them as well if they show up (hopefully not since 08)

But thanks for the updates man!
Appreciate 0