E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #67
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
sorry to hear about the error issue, but since your car is a 06 i guess the OBC is just a bit sensitive.

coding ought to do it though. i just placed the order for my set today and hopefully they wont give too many errors!
Yeah the OBC is very sensitive... I kind of figured I'd eventually have to get a coding cable to make these work properly. At least now I'll be able to code some other neat features that I've been researching, like the key fob windows up thing. And setting the parking lamps to come on when the car is unlocked, cause these Orion V2 Angel Eyes look mean!

I think the 2008 should not have any problems... if anything, you might get the random error for the parking lamps, but that one goes away right away after the cold bulb check. It's the low beam error that's the annoying one, and I doubt you'll have a problem. ** crossing fingers **

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
Damnit this iPhone app I just typed like 3 paragraphs.

How could I miss those pictures, they look great and so do the black side markers. I have matte black grills and wheels so it may match perfect.

That sucks that you got an error, that's a pretty severe one since its your low beam, hopefully you can get it error free and make sure to post what fixes what so once we get our headlights we can fix them as well if they show up (hopefully not since 08)

But thanks for the updates man!
Oh yeah, it'll look really nice with your grills and wheels! The shop told me I should consider getting matte black wheels and black everything out, but I like my SGM with hyper silver wheels. I do like black on black though like you're doing though... and the corners of the DEPOs are actually a graphite, so that will add a nice touch.

By the way, you may think the Angel Eyes look a bit cheesy when the headlights arrive, but on the car they look soooooo good. I seriously get people turning their heads, because LED Angel Eyes are not too common around here. I can't wait to take pics of how bright those are during the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #68
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
...Tonight as I was driving, my passenger projector just suddenly decides to turn off. Really annoying!! I also got a new error with the car on the lift.

I researched tonight and found someone who had a similar error when installing xenon in a halogen E90. It's the HID kit that is throwing all the errors, so nothing wrong with the DEPOs themselves. The Canbus HID seems to fix most errors, but I still get a "headlight out" error, and now the passenger projector doesn't light up randomly, which means power is not being sent to the passenger ballast, because the car thinks the light is out.

I think I'll be able to fix the issue if I code the car for xenon (VO $522) then follow this process to get the high beam functionality back how Umnitza set it up...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500068

It makes sense that this would do the trick for the low beam error yet still keep the high beam retro bixenon functionality.

I have also been receiving a parking lamp error every so often the last two nights, but it goes away right away (maybe due to the Canbus ballast wiring??). I'm okay with this one, because it goes away, and the angel eyes have never shut off randomly and work perfectly, and so do the LED turn signals.

The only severe error is the low beam, so I'll let you guys know what works for me. What sucks is I have to wait 2 weeks for a coding cable to get here.
Just something to consider, that guy was going to and from OEM headlights, which would lead me to believe that he used OEM ballasts. So the OEM ballasts communicate with the car differently than The aftermarket ballasts--which is how they tell a car when you need to replace the bulb. Aftermarket ballasts just use resistors to trick the car in to thinking that the bulb is fine, even if it's burnt out. So all you might accomplish by coding for xenon headlights will be less functional lights, and more errors (like an adaptive headlight error). The simplest solution should be to simply code out bulb check for every bulb in the headlight. Keep us posted...and POST PICS!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #69
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Just something to consider, that guy was going to and from OEM headlights, which would lead me to believe that he used OEM ballasts. So the OEM ballasts communicate with the car differently than The aftermarket ballasts--which is how they tell a car when you need to replace the bulb. Aftermarket ballasts just use resistors to trick the car in to thinking that the bulb is fine, even if it's burnt out. So all you might accomplish by coding for xenon headlights will be less functional lights, and more errors (like an adaptive headlight error). The simplest solution should be to simply code out bulb check for every bulb in the headlight. Keep us posted...and POST PICS!!!!!!
Thanks for the tip... I'll try the bulb check coding first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the xenon coding.

Since I know the low beam is throwing the annoying error, do you think I could only set the KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL and WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL (low beam cold and warm test) to "nicht_aktiv" (deactivated) and not mess with the rest of the bulb checks within the headlight? I'm guessing I'd have to do the FL (high beam) as well, since it is tapped to the xenon wiring.

Frankly, I don't need to know if a low beam bulb or high beam bulb is out anyway, because I can easily tell when it is.

I haven't researched how to work with the FRM module much, but I think I bookmarked all the important coding threads, so I'm sure I'll find it somewhere in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #70
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip... I'll try the bulb check coding first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the xenon coding.

Since I know the low beam is throwing the annoying error, do you think I could just set the KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL and WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL (low beam cold and warm test) to "nicht_aktiv" (deactivated)?

Frankly, I don't need to know if a low beam is out anyway, because I can easily tell when it is.

I haven't researched how to work with the FRM module much, but I think I bookmarked all the important coding threads, so I'm sure I'll find it somewhere in there.
Yeah, set the KALTUEBERWACHTUNG_AL and WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (which means not active, or deactivated, or something of the sort). And while you're at it, do it for the front blinkers, high beam, and parking lights/AE rings/whatever the name for them is. I'm extremely confident that will get rid of any annoying errors you're getting now, and should help to prevent any potential errors from popping up in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #71
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, set the KALTUEBERWACHTUNG_AL and WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (which means not active, or deactivated, or something of the sort). And while you're at it, do it for the front blinkers, high beam, and parking lights/AE rings/whatever the name for them is. I'm extremely confident that will get rid of any annoying errors you're getting now, and should help to prevent any potential errors from popping up in the future.
Thanks for your help. Yeah I guess I could just deactivate all headlight bulb testing, just to be sure. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. If it does, then I won't have bulb testing, but I usually check my front turn signals and parking lamps anyway, so I'd be able to tell if anything was not working right. And if I code the parking lamps to come on with key fob unlock, I'll be able to see that the AEs and turn signals are working properly anyways... that is unless I do the corner delete.

I'm praying this will work... I am an IT Systems Administrator, so this should be simple for me, I would think.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #72
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Yeah. Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that a carputer designed to bulb-check incandescent bulbs cant tell the difference between a standard incandescent bulb, and say, an HID kit or LED bulb with resistors wired in. Since you have no halogen bulbs in your headlight , your car can't really bulb check anything that's in there. Same thing with aftermarket LED tail lights.

Speaking of which...you're gonna need some to match those sweet Headlights
Have you ever thought about custom-built LED tails?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #73
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
That's some good info rolling!
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #74
didyoufeelit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: tiag e90

just got these lights installed from bavx. angel eyes are freakin awesome, but i'm running halogens for lowbeams & it's just ok. would love to get hid's on this.. wondering if i'd get lowbeam errors as well if i had gone w/ the umnitza's w/ fx-r.

reason i didn't go with the umnitza's was bc i thought the AE ring looked a little different from the bavX ones. also, the DRL's on my lights stay on during the day w/ the AE, looks kinda ugly, esp. since they're yellow. apparently i can't get this coded out unless i get the frm3 module, which is like $300 from the dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #75
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
[QUOTE=didyoufeelit;10789015]just got these lights installed from bavx. angel eyes are freakin awesome, but i'm running halogens for lowbeams
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #76
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
iPhone app fails once again.

^ do you have any pics and is yours good quality?

Trevendous- your making me want mine more and more haha! I love the blacked out look as well and hopefully this will complete the look... Only thing not black is that ugly orange reflector on the headlights and my tail lights are still red.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #77
didyoufeelit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: tiag e90

Quote:
posted some new pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610479
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #78
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that a carputer designed to bulb-check incandescent bulbs cant tell the difference between a standard incandescent bulb, and say, an HID kit or LED bulb with resistors wired in. Since you have no halogen bulbs in your headlight , your car can't really bulb check anything that's in there. Same thing with aftermarket LED tail lights.

Speaking of which...you're gonna need some to match those sweet Headlights
Have you ever thought about custom-built LED tails?
That makes sense... and I can do bulb checks manually. I'm anal about that kinda stuff anyway that if I think something is weird, I'll check it myself anyway. I don't always trust a computer.

I actually bought OEM Blacklines when I first got the car (which as you know are not LED) and they cost me nearly $400. Don't think I'll be getting DEPO LED blackline tails anytime soon. Doesn't look bad to not have LED tails... even though I have Weisslicht LED sidemarkers. What's funny is the OEM blacklines aren't completely flush fitment on the driver's side. Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by didyoufeelit View Post
just got these lights installed from bavx. angel eyes are freakin awesome, but i'm running halogens for lowbeams & it's just ok. would love to get hid's on this.. wondering if i'd get lowbeam errors as well if i had gone w/ the umnitza's w/ fx-r.

reason i didn't go with the umnitza's was bc i thought the AE ring looked a little different from the bavX ones. also, the DRL's on my lights stay on during the day w/ the AE, looks kinda ugly, esp. since they're yellow. apparently i can't get this coded out unless i get the frm3 module, which is like $300 from the dealer
Those look very similar to mine. Although mine are Orion V2 AEs. Yours look a bit different but not much different. What year is your car? If it's a 2006, I guarantee you'd get errors with any HID kit, because I do. I'm pretty sure that coding it out will work... can't wait till my coding cable arrives. I'm not gonna take pics of the headlights till next week. Can't wait for you all to see these. They really change the look of the car.

Quote:
iPhone app fails once again.

Trevendous- your making me want mine more and more haha! I love the blacked out look as well and hopefully this will complete the look... Only thing not black is that ugly orange reflector on the headlights and my tail lights are still red.
You'll love getting rid of the amber reflector... these headlights look so good... I can't stop staring at them when I come outside and see my car, day or night.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #79
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
You'll love getting rid of the amber reflector... these headlights look so good... I can't stop staring at them when I come outside and see my car, day or night.
any luck on the pics we are dying to see?? post lots and lots!

how's that coding process going for you? is one side of the headlight always turning off when you drive?

good luck on getting it fixed!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #80
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
any luck on the pics we are dying to see?? post lots and lots!

how's that coding process going for you? is one side of the headlight always turning off when you drive?

good luck on getting it fixed!
It's been raining here, and every time I get off work, it's dark. The good news is Umnitza did a really good job of resealing the headlight after the retrofit was done, because it doesn't fog up in the rain. Yay!

Hopefully we'll get a sunny weekend, and I'll take some pics. I really wanna show you how bright the AEs are in the daytime. Soooooo bright.

My coding cable arrives at the end of this week, so I haven't been able to try the coding yet. I'll keep you all informed. The passenger headlight does go out randomly then comes back on. One time it didn't come back on until I restarted the car, but most of the time it comes back on after about a minute and gives me the "service" error (car on lift). I think coding out the bulb checks should fix this, because it seems logical. The car won't perform headlight bulb checks, so it won't know that anything is different than normal, so instead of tricking the computer, it'll disable a computer test. Makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #81
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Ill have a full write up on these once I get them installed.. Im still waiting on my m3 rep to get painted

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #82
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
ahh looks very nice, how was taking off the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #83
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

ERROR UPDATE:

Coding cable arrived today, so tonight after work, I followed Junior's tutorial... I succeeded, well for the most part. haha

I got rid of the major "low beam out" error and the low beam randomly going off. It had been going off like crazy lately... until I coded it out tonight. There is still one error that comes on when the headlights are turned on, and it's the "car on lift" error. Idk why that comes on still, but at least it doesn't ding or anything. It could be due to FEHLERMELDUNG... I think I have to set more of those to "nicht_aktiv." That error won't bother me at all. It's supposedly the car telling me that something is wrong (but it's really not).

While I was at it, I coded a bunch of other neat features. Here's everything I coded tonight:

Corner Delete (my favorite!!!)
NFRM module
Set the SIDEMARKER_US value to nicht_aktiv.

Disable Bulb Testing in Headlights
NFRM module
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_FL to nicht_aktiv (high beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_FL to nicht_aktiv (high beam warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_VO to nicht_aktiv (turn signal cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_VO to nicht_aktiv (turn signal warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left warm)
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right warm)
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_L to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp left error code)
FEHLERMELDUNG_CC_SL_V_R to nicht_aktiv (parking lamp right error code)

Windows Up with Key Fob
CAS Module

KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB from "nicht_aktiv" to "aktiv".

Sunroof Close on Rain Detection
SHD/FZD module
REGENSCHLIESSEN (to opposite value)

Digital Velocity
KOMBI Module
BC_DIGITAL_V set to aktiv.
BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR (If set to nicht_aktiv, digital speed will give true car speed. If set to aktiv, digital speed will be same as speedometer.)

Seat Belt Chime Off
ABG Module
SBR_BEIFAHRER_1 to nicht_aktiv
SBR_FAHRER_1 to nicht_aktiv

Wiper Finishes Cycle
JBBF module
ZYCLUS_VOLLEND_KLR_AUS (to opposite value)

Any other cool coding I should do???? If any of you run into problems with these headlights, it's really simple to code out the errors. I did it tonight in just two hours without any previous experience. Once you execute the first coding job, it's a piece of cake to replicate.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 11-16-2011 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #84
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Congrats man and you also coded most of the items which I want! Haha could you post a link to which coding cable / tutorial you are using Incase it happens to me when mine arrive?

Thanks a lot for the update!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #85
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Oh and did u code so the angel eyes are DRL?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #86
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ERROR UPDATE:

Coding cable arrived today, so tonight after work, I followed Junior's tutorial... I succeeded, well for the most part. haha

I got rid of the major "low beam out" error and the low beam randomly going off. It had been going off like crazy lately... until I coded it out tonight. There is still one error that comes on when the headlights are turned on, and it's the "car on lift" error. Idk why that comes on still, but at least it doesn't ding or anything. It could be due to FEHLERMELDUNG... I think I have to set more of those to "nicht_aktiv." That error won't bother me at all. It's supposedly the car telling me that something is wrong (but it's really not).
OK good, now you really have no excuse not to take pictures of the headlights/beam pattern
Glad everything worked out for you. Talk to Grant@DetailAddict and he should be able to help you with the lift error, he's a master of coding. Check the coding threads to find him.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #87
deceptiv.335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

nice trev, awaiting pictures!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #88
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym96 View Post
Ill have a full write up on these once I get them installed.. Im still waiting on my m3 rep to get painted

This look so sweet. I have the Jlevis's Depo with the 4 bulbs in the ring. Most of it burn out but the HID still works with no error. I am debating whether to change to this setup with these amazing AE.
Appreciate 0