E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DP Fix Issues

09-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Julez1212
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

DP Fix Issues

Hey all,

I'm having major issues with my DP Fix. I had a DP Fix and I received the "too strong" error code shortly after install. I then cleared everything and lowered the setting, but still too strong. I went to the lowest setting and I still received the too strong code.

I received another DP Fix. I reset everything and installed the new one running Map 5 auto clear off.

However it STILL doesn't work and I get the CEL.

Is there any I can do? I feel like it's been so easy for everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez1212 View Post
Hey all,

I'm having major issues with my DP Fix. I had a DP Fix and I received the "too strong" error code shortly after install. I then cleared everything and lowered the setting, but still too strong. I went to the lowest setting and I still received the too strong code.

I received another DP Fix. I reset everything and installed the new one running Map 5 auto clear off.

However it STILL doesn't work and I get the CEL.

Is there any I can do? I feel like it's been so easy for everyone else.
Linky --> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960594

You need to read up on all the pages of the DPFix instructions... it explains the situation you are in. The correct way you should have dialed in your car is to make sure you get the too weak errors because those are easy to clear and then dial it in stronger.

But the worst case situation is dialing it in TOO STRONG and then backing it out to be weaker will take MANY drive cycles to actually recover from the TOO STRONG condition

Obviously you have this on your track car in Mexico and you need the DPFix to get back your timing on the track. So with that in mind... let me know which DP you are running and which initial setting you had tried?

FWIW - if you read thru the instructions, the default setting is at 5 O'Clock position and probably would have worked perfectly for you. When you look at the dial 11 O'Clock is MIN setting/weakest AND 1 O'Clock is the MAX setting/strongest. 6 O'clock would point straight down and is the mid point of the dial (There is no 12 O'Clock setting/Straight UP/North).

If in doubt, I would leave your setting at 6 O'Clock for a long time until all the "Strong Condition" errors clear out and eventually you get a weak condition reading... then dial it in a little stronger at between 6 and 5, if that's too weak then try 5, IF THATS still too weak try between 5 and 4. There is no way you should be dialing in more than that ever... unless something is wrong.

Last edited by fazman; 09-24-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Julez1212
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fazman,

On both the DPs I've tried it's been set to the initial position which I believe is 5/6 and I didn't touch it. I only decided to dial it weaker (towards 11PM) when I received the too strong code. I went to my mechanic and he reset all the systems and then reinstalled the DP Fix which is set to 5/6 again, but still had the too strong code. Would resetting everything get rid of the too strong code or would it only recover after lots of drive cycles?

I have the AR downpipes with the initial settings described above. I need the DP Fix to pass my emissions test without taking the Down Pipes out.

How long do you think I'd have to drive to get rid of the too strong code? I guess I don't know when the too strong code is still for real or when it will be adjusted to weak and I need to adjust.

There's so much uncertainty and guessing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fazman,

On both the DPs I've tried it's been set to the initial position which I believe is 5/6 and I didn't touch it. I only decided to dial it weaker (towards 11PM) when I received the too strong code. I went to my mechanic and he reset all the systems and then reinstalled the DP Fix which is set to 5/6 again, but still had the too strong code. Would resetting everything get rid of the too strong code or would it only recover after lots of drive cycles?

I have the AR downpipes with the initial settings described above. I need the DP Fix to pass my emissions test without taking the Down Pipes out.

How long do you think I'd have to drive to get rid of the too strong code? I guess I don't know when the too strong code is still for real or when it will be adjusted to weak and I need to adjust.

There's so much uncertainty and guessing.
On all the track cars I've seen that use AR DPs, 5 O'Clock was the perfect setting. if its too strong then dial it back to 11 O'Clock and do trial and error until you get a weak code.

After you get the weak code dial it back one hour at a time and clear the code each time.

Currently you are stuck having to wait many drive cycles before you can get back to normal... sorry. I really believe something is wrong with your setup if 6 O'Clock was too strong on the inital attempt.

please look up the drive cycle process so you can speed up the process. i probably wouldn't clear the strong codes till it works itself out of the system to a weak signal (which is why i think u should dial it back to the min setting).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Julez1212
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I set the DP fix to 11 and I still had the too strong code but perhaps I didn't do a full drive cycle.

I feel like the uncertainty is killing me since its trial and error based. What do you think could be wrong with the car if 6 was too strong initially?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I set the DP fix to 11 and I still had the too strong code but perhaps I didn't do a full drive cycle.

I feel like the uncertainty is killing me since its trial and error based. What do you think could be wrong with the car if 6 was too strong initially?
you will need to be at 11 O'Clock for a while for MANY drive cycles. Eventually it will kick thru as a "weak" code and then you can do the trial & error of dialing back 1 hour at a time. Did you google for the exact routine to complete one drive cycle? that will really help speed things along.

linky --> http://www.europeantransmissions.com...0Procedure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Julez1212
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fazman, will I need many drive cycles or just one to clear the too strong?

In theory, in order to complete a drive cycle efficiently, can I go to a dyne and perform a drive cycle? Once i do a drive cycle efficiently, I'll be able to tell if I still have the too strong code?
Appreciate 0