E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lighting system malfunction. No power windows, door locks, and no control on headligh

10-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Somehow I left the light on the interior of my car on all afternoon and I went outside put the key fobb in and not knowing i tried to start it.

It clicked a few times and kept clicking on and off. Then the headlights turned on and the only time that lights will turn off is my pull the key out.

I gave the car a jump and it started to run after a little bit of charging, however I'm getting lamp malfunction error. My power windows do not work, my side markers do not work, power windows do not work, and I can't turn the headlights off it's on emergency mode or something.

I got code. 1500, P1100.

Try to erase the codes, driving around the block a few times, turning the car off and then restarting.

What is going on with it?

EDIT:

Also when I press the lock button below the monitor it will only unlock, fobb key will only unlock. Locking won't work now.

Brake lights only work with car running as does the headlights. Angel here won't turn on.

Back windows can be rolled up or down only from the rear. The front doors have no control either.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
I keep getting door open earning when all doors are closed.

Heater, a/c and radio all work perfectly. Moonroof doesn't work. DSC button works done as well.

Speedo, gas and temp gauge all work.

Idrive seems ok too. When I go into the menu on idrive to change the pathway light, welcome light, or daytime running lamps it will not let me change anything there. it does nothing there's no check marks.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
how old is your battery?
      10-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife
how old is your battery?
Factory. Car is only 2 years old. I just started it 3 times and drove around. No issue. Drives smooth and engine is good.

Moonroof actually works too.

No lights interior at all. No cluster, no power window switch lights, no power windows for frond doors but rear work. No locking function either. Can't turn headlights off while car is on.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

You're still under warranty call up you're local BMW and tell them to come pick up the car and figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
No warranty. 64k

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
i just had this problem. your footwell module went. Good luck, they need to re code everything

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo
i just had this problem. your footwell module went. Good luck, they need to re code everything
FRM3 AHL is the module a local coder told me to get saying my FRM module is fried.

I have hids that I installed with error cancellation capacitors yesterday, as well as D1s replacement lights.

They worked all day. Then like an idiot I left the fog lights on for a while and then the dome light and killed my battery.

The interior lights worked fine when I got in my car to start it not knowing the battery was dead and I tried to start the car and then it clicked and flickered and then the error happened.

I jumped the car with my other car and I had to let it sit for a few minutes and then it started to turn over, i could hear the drain on the other car and the rpms went down right when it started.

The guy I spoke to today said all the lights that aren't working make him think the module is fried.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
FRM3 AHL is the module a local coder told me to get saying my FRM module is fried.

I have hids that I installed with error cancellation capacitors yesterday, as well as D1s replacement lights.

They worked all day. Then like an idiot I left the fog lights on for a while and then the dome light and killed my battery.

The interior lights worked fine when I got in my car to start it not knowing the battery was dead and I tried to start the car and then it clicked and flickered and then the error happened.

I jumped the car with my other car and I had to let it sit for a few minutes and then it started to turn over, i could hear the drain on the other car and the rpms went down right when it started.

The guy I spoke to today said all the lights that aren't working make him think the module is fried.
its without a doubt fried. if you go to a dealer dont leave those HID's in.. good luck to you sir

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

its without a doubt fried. if you go to a dealer dont leave those HID's in.. good luck to you sir
Was it caused by extremely low batter voltage and the flickering caused by low voltage?

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
the footwell modules are very finicky to new voltage.. I tried to code my LUX and the new voltages fried the module.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the footwell modules are very finicky to new voltage.. I tried to code my LUX and the new voltages fried the module.
So the dead battery issue could have easily done it then?

I don't think it could have been the new D1s bulbs or the capacitors from the fog lights I bought because I started the car and ran the lights numerous times no issue all day. Left the lights on and left the door open all day and then the batter was dead.

Is it normal to hear a whine or hum in the engine compartment with the fobb in the key slot and the button in the on position?

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
So the dead battery issue could have easily done it then?

I don't think it could have been the new D1s bulbs or the capacitors from the fog lights I bought because I started the car and ran the lights numerous times no issue all day. Left the lights on and left the door open all day and then the batter was dead.

Is it normal to hear a whine or hum in the engine compartment with the fobb in the key slot and the button in the on position?
possibly its hard to say. As far as the noise goes I cant comment on that, never really noticed.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
I remove the FRM module out of the car. Which one of these numbers on the sticker is the part number to order a new one?

Also there's clips on the side to open the casing, is there a way to tell if it's blown? Like maybe a burnt smell or one of the main boards cracked or something?

EDIT: I am currently setting up my macbook to boot windows 7. I am grabbing a K+DCAN inpa cable tomorrow and setting up NCS expert. Once I have that done by tomorrow afternoon, what should i be looking for to see if my module is fried? Also I take it i can program injectors and batteries now too right?
Attached Images

Last edited by WhiteFury; 10-27-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

You wont smell anything...The module is fried...Nothing you can do to fix the issue but get a new module and everything will work again..Ask OKEE to code it in for you as it is not simple ncs coding....I have seen issues like this before with FRM3 modules...Like a couple of others stated the frm3 module is very finicky to voltage...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
You wont smell anything...The module is fried...Nothing you can do to fix the issue but gegt a new module and everything will work again..Ask OKEE to code it in for you as it is not simple ncs coding....
Who is that? I just want to figure out if a dead battery can cause stuff like this?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
I took it to a BMW shop, and there's no communication with the FRM module.

The tech that he couldn't figure anything out.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
My auxiliary input on my idrive isn't working either and I can't selected to turn the volume up as the volume is all the way down and when I selected it does nothing. Does the FRM module control this too?

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #19
nycjap
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Did you ever figure this out? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #20
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Documentation on FRM:

"The Footwell Module (FRM) serves as:
• Gateway Module for communication between devices connected to
the LIN Bus and K-CAN (Outside Mirror & Drivers Switch Cluster).
• Evaluator of data from Door Contacts and Door Lock Cylinders
• Activator/controller of all Exterior Lights, Adaptive Headlights,
• Controller of Front Power Windows, Electric Load Shut-down
• Activation of Power Window Anti-Trap
• Stores the Vehicle Order information"

For Comfort Access functionality, the FRM...

"The Footwell Module (FRM) monitors the hall sensors of the door contacts to determine
if a door is open or closed. CAS2 indirectly obtains the door status information and uses
the information to determine if an enable signal is to be provided to the JBE.
Signal Path: Door contact signals input to FRM; Door status signal from FRM to JBE via
K-CAN then forwarded from JBE via K-Can to CAS2.

"Control Modules for Interior Lighting
The "interior lighting" function is distributed over several control module that communicate with each other via the K-CAN.
• Footwell Module (FRM) is responsible for switching the interior lighting on & off.

"All interior lighting outputs of the Footwell Module are pulse-modulated to ensure that
the interior lighting functions are at a constant brightness level in the event of voltage
fluctuations. The pulse width modulation is also used for the soft ON/OFF function.
The Footwell Module features the following functions for the interior lighting:
• Switching the interior lighting on/off
• Electric load shut-down after 16 minutes
• Instrument lighting, terminal 58g
Switching on the Interior Lighting
The footwell module receives numerous input signals that switch on the interior lighting.
For instance, the input signals from the footwell module are read in directly or received via
the K-CAN.
The input signals for the interior lighting are listed in the following.
Switching-on Conditions
The interior lighting is switched on in response to one of the following conditions:
• Unlock via barrel lock in driver's door
• Unlock via remote control/identification transmitter
• Terminal R OFF when terminal 58g was ON
• Receiving crash signal
• Lock button on remote control/ ID transmitter pressed when the
central locking has been in central arrest state for longer than 10 s
• Interior lighting button pressed.
Switching Off Interior Lighting
The FRM receives numerous signals to switch off the interior lighting via the K-CAN or
are obtained indirectly by the FRM.

"Footwell Module (FRM)
The relays for the power window motors for the driver's and passenger's side are
installed in the Footwell Module."

The FRM is also involved in monitoring a number of other systems, like the sunroof, and others.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #21
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I recently bought a '08 335xi with various problems. (Price was right.) While I was able to clear most codes with Carly-for-BMW, I suspect my FRM is bad:

* Various "bad bulb" codes, even with brand new bulbs; fast blinkers
* Driver's side window does not open (holding key in lock opens all other windows.) Opened door panel for testing - motor has continuity and never gets power
* Xeon lights don't rise to auto-level

I got the part number of my FRM (6135 9166709-01) and ordered an identical used one on ebay for $129.

While I have INPA, DIS, NavCoder, etc, I never learned to use them. (I am very familiar with software like HP Tuners for GM cars - even a forum moderator.)
Therefore I have several questions:
1. Will anything work if I simply swap modules?
2. Are there instructions for coding major modules with the above software?
3. Any idea what the dealer might charge to code it, assuming they will even take a used part?

Thank you in advance?
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Alejobeltran
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3

On the topic of frail FRM. I own a 2011 E-92 M3 and a severe issue was caused by a WeissLicht LED turn signal bulb. The initial LED that I installed worked for about a week until it no longer worked(error message/hyper flashing). I had the issue trouble shooted by a car shop ($150), and they determined that the LED caused an electrical shortage which in turn damaged a chip on the FRM. As a result of the malfunctioning chip the replacement LED (requested a new bulb to make sure) does not work nor does the OEM bulb. Meaning that damaged chip is not sending the electrical signal to the turn signal bulb on the passenger side. Driver side LED was working flawlessly until I had it removed. I currently have 4 other Weiss Licht LED installed in the car (reverse and license plate) and it makes me weary to continue to have them installed.

Fortunately for me the vechile is still under warranty until August and is at the dealer now. They are not aware that an aftermarket item has caused this issue otherwise I would be paying out of pocket and seeking reimbursement. I am hoping that they will repair it without further scrutiny.
Thought I should share this. Good luck
Appreciate 0