E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Make of original thermostat

09-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Make of original thermostat

I picked up an E91 with 110,000 miles on the clock. Purchased through a BMW dealer. Service history is not complete. Checking the water pump and thermostat I am unable to determine when it was updated. The thermostat had a Behre stamping. Is that a replacement or an original?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Unless it is not working i wouldnt worry about it. Replacing early is more of a convenience.

Personally, I do not like plastic parts, so I kept my original aluminum thermostat instead of replacing it. 140,000 miles, still working just fine.

When they fail, they are designed to fail open so the worst that can happen is you get bad gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If the t-stat is aluminum then it's original. If it is brown plastic, it was replaced with the updated part. As Hass said, it fails open and will not cause the engine to overheat. The t-stat is computer controlled to reduce start-up emissions, so it has a heating element in it. The common failure is the heating element stops functioning correctly. If that happens there will be a OBDII trouble code stored in the ECU and the SES light will come on.

Too many people read the internet and replace parts on these cars for no good reason other than to waste money. BMW = OCD for some reason.

Wait for it to fail, it may never do so.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Too many people read the internet and replace parts on these cars for no good reason other than to waste money. BMW = OCD for some reason.

Lmao so true. But I think it may be because some people couldn't afford to have the car at a garage or sit at home for 1 to 4 days I guess and they need the car everyday.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Lmao so true. But I think it may be because some people couldn't afford to have the car at a garage or sit at home for 1 to 4 days I guess and they need the car everyday.
Dont forget that some people will replace these parts while doing a different service that allows easier access to the water pump. For example (albeit an extreme one), I replaced the water pump and thermostat among other things when I did my engine swap. It didnt make sense to not replace them now with the easy access as opposed to waiting until they fail down the line and having to tear the car apart again.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
If the t-stat is aluminum then it's original. If it is brown plastic, it was replaced with the updated part. As Hass said, it fails open and will not cause the engine to overheat. The t-stat is computer controlled to reduce start-up emissions, so it has a heating element in it. The common failure is the heating element stops functioning correctly. If that happens there will be a OBDII trouble code stored in the ECU and the SES light will come on.

Agreed. While the forums are a great resource, especially Bimmerpost, there are way too many overreactions to failures/faults. Got a cam fault? Sorry your ledge is grooved/worn out, prepare to pay. Unknown fluid leaking? Sorry it's your rear main seal, prepare to pay. I'm not saying those issues don't occur, but there are a lot more things more likely to fail and stuff you can do a home as a DIY such as solenoids or just a coolant hose leaking or cracked.

While there have been extreme cases of significant failure of components, I find the E90 pretty reliable and if anything needs to be replaced, it's usually something inexpensive and serviceable.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Agreed. While the forums are a great resource, especially Bimmerpost, there are way too many overreactions to failures/faults. Got a cam fault? Sorry your ledge is grooved/worn out, prepare to pay. Unknown fluid leaking? Sorry it's your rear main seal, prepare to pay. I'm not saying those issues don't occur, but there are a lot more things more likely to fail and stuff you can do a home as a DIY such as solenoids or just a coolant hose leaking or cracked.

While there have been extreme cases of significant failure of components, I find the E90 pretty reliable and if anything needs to be replaced, it's usually something inexpensive and serviceable.
So just to qualify what I wrote, I've owned 3-series BMWs for 30 years and have over 850,000 combined miles on 4 cars. I've been wrenching on cars for nearly 40 years now, even before I could drive. I know the E90 very well and probably have one of the top three cars with the highest mileage in the USA. The E90 with an N52 is a tank. If you can DIY, you can get a very long service life out of one. It's a well known statement that the BMW E30 was considered a tank. The E90 is just as good as the E30. I've owned both.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post

So just to qualify what I wrote, I've owned 3-series BMWs for 30 years and have over 850,000 combined miles on 4 cars. I've been wrenching on cars for nearly 40 years now, even before I could drive. I know the E90 very well and probably have one of the top three cars with the highest mileage in the USA. The E90 with an N52 is a tank. If you can DIY, you can get a very long service life out of one. It's a well known statement that the BMW E30 was considered a tank. The E90 is just as good as the E30. I've owned both.

My 2 cents.
I agree. As far as modern cars go, the E90 with the N52 is severely underrated, overshadowed by the N54/N55.

While I'm not even close to you 300k+, I'm over 240k and have not run into any severe problems aside from the water pump and valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0