E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Deal or no Deal: Sytner Sheffield

Closed Thread

12-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i

Deal or no Deal: Sytner Sheffield

I just thought I would share my story with you lot.

I ordered a new 530D GT M-Sport about 2 weeks ago for my wife.

Invoice price is 48k. I took it on contract hire paying 399 + VAT with 3 months deposit over 23 months.

So I negotiated the following:

Full tank of petrol
Dealer would tint the windows
Fee free service on my 335i (I collected the car that day)

I asked the sales man to go and confirm that is all ok with his manager which he did, I also asked him to confirm that the millage limit is 10k pa. So I put down a 1500 depsoit.

I walk out the door a happy customer.

4 days later the proper manager (Mark I think) calls me and says that they cant agree to the deal promised to me and offered me 100 pounds off and a discount of the next new car I buy form them lol

Also the milage limit is 8k not 10k as agreed.

This is the second and last brand new car I have bought my Sytner Sheffield
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Did you not sign anything while in the dealers?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sadly no, I said to the guy do we need to put the deal down on paper or can we call it a gentlemen’s agreement ☺

They have been honest and are not denying offering me the above deal, they have just changed their mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

If they have taken your deposit and you have a written copy of the order as you describe, I think they are stuffed. If you don't have the order in writing, it's still a verbal contract but you may need to argue it a bit harder. The fact they have taken your money puts you in a strong position.

Not certain, but my guess is that they could claim it was an aggrieved/new employee acting beyond his authority. Not your problem, theirs!

In the back of my mind is something about a difference in 'law' or 'fact'. With one they could possibly back out. A mistake in fact would, for example, be adding up the invoice wrong or missing off the cost of an option. A mistake in law is essentially doing everything correctly, but just offering a poor deal (for them).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Rosslol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 320i M Sport

Just tell them if they dont agree to the conditions you want your money back and will go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They said I can't cancel the order because it had already gone to BMW and to be honest I don't want to as It will delay the car and the prices have gone up so I will not get the same price again.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

er you can cancel the order as they arent honouring the deal whether written or verbal.

£100 off what by the way? (their counter offer)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

If they have given you the wrong details and ordered the car upon those details then they haven't got a leg to stand on re canceling and getting your money back.
If they are changing their mind then that's there issue and not yours, stick to your guns m8
      12-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
If they have given you the wrong details and ordered the car upon those details then they haven't got a leg to stand on re canceling and getting your money back.
If they are changing their mind then that's there issue and not yours, stick to your guns m8
I know, but I don't really want to cancel the order and it will delay delivery and I will not get the same deal anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
er you can cancel the order as they arent honouring the deal whether written or verbal.

£100 off what by the way? (their counter offer)
well the work out that that the cost to them of the extras they offered me would cost the dealer 650 pounds, they said they can only do 100 pounds worth.

At the end of the day I am still going to buy the car, I will not got to BMW sheffield anymore, not will I buy my next car from them.

I complained to BMW UK today, part of why I am pissed off is that the manager promised to send me a email explaining what had happened but he still has not bothered.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Sounds like they are trying it on to get you to back out the deal. Stick to your guns and contact BMW HQ if you have to. Even if they do lose out a bit because they cocked up - the car will still go towards their sales figures targets.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Sounds like they are trying it on to get you to back out the deal. Stick to your guns and contact BMW HQ if you have to. Even if they do lose out a bit because they cocked up - the car will still go towards their sales figures targets.
Yep I called BMW HQ today and registered a complaint. Lest see what happens next.

Its a shame because the E93 335i will need to be replaced soon and I will not be shopping with BMW sheffield again.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech335 View Post

Invoice price is 48k. I took it on contract hire paying 399 + VAT with 3 months deposit over 23 months.

Full tank of petrol

I asked the sales man to go and confirm that is all ok with his manager which he did, I also asked him to confirm that the millage limit is 10k pa. So I put down a 1500 depsoit.

4 days later the proper manager (Mark I think) calls me and says that they cant agree to the deal promised to me and offered me 100 pounds off and a discount of the next new car I buy form them lol

This is pants. How embarrassing for us!
I'll speak to the DP in the morning and find out how and why this is happening.

Sincerely sorry that you've been messed around Czech.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
edowen
Major
Rep

Does the lower mileage limit matter? If so - get that changed. Otherwise that will cost you more money.

Ask to speak to the dealer principle and explain your displeasure - especially as you have bought other cars from them.

Tell them you will be cancelling your order unless they improve their offer.

They are in the wrong and they know it - grow a backbone - you are the CUSTOMER.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post

great stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Can't believe you asked for a tank of petrol for a diesel. Probably why they walked away!
      12-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Can't believe you asked for a tank of petrol for a diesel. Probably why they walked away!
LOL.

Quote:
Does the lower mileage limit matter? If so - get that changed. Otherwise that will cost you more money.

Ask to speak to the dealer principle and explain your displeasure - especially as you have bought other cars from them.

Tell them you will be cancelling your order unless they improve their offer.

They are in the wrong and they know it - grow a backbone - you are the CUSTOMER.
Yes the lower milage is a problem also because I think we will do 24k over 2 years so I knew I would have to pay for an extra 4k but it looks as if I will have to pay for 8k miles now. I think its around 13 to 15p per mile.

They can not change the number of miles on the system now because it would result in them having to re-quote which would give me the new price which is higher now then it was when I bought the car.

I know I am the customer but I think I must have just driven the bargain too hard lol.

He did explain that they just are not making 650 pounds on the car so they will end up making a loss on it if they gave me what we agreed to.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
dghdgh
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 sports+

If you get the written explanation from the sales manager it will show what went wrong. It will also show the contract you entered in to with the company you don't need to sign to have a contract you just need to prove what was agreed to.
I wouldn't just leave it with the DP I would e-mail the company Chairman, Head of BMW UK and BMW Head Office.
Best of luck I hate back street motor dealers as that's how they are acting.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:

They can not change the number of miles on the system now because it would result in them having to re-quote which would give me the new price which is higher now then it was when I bought the car.
Bullsh*t.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
DaveyCUFC
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Sometimes dealers will do a loss. Think of all the money your custom buying other cars, servicing on both cars etc gives them. Plus it goes towards their sales figures and they get incentives (money) for things like finance.

Good look, hopefully they can honour the deal.

Don't be fobbed off by the mileage on the system line either. Things can always be changed just needs someone higher up the chain to amend quote- keep pushing!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
Czech335
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghdgh View Post
If you get the written explanation from the sales manager it will show what went wrong. It will also show the contract you entered in to with the company you don't need to sign to have a contract you just need to prove what was agreed to.
I wouldn't just leave it with the DP I would e-mail the company Chairman, Head of BMW UK and BMW Head Office.
Best of luck I hate back street motor dealers as that's how they are acting.
Yep this is why I think he did not email me despite the fact that he said he would on the phone.

Quote:
Bullsh*t.
Just to be clear.

The milage limit was not a change in the deal, they just misinformed me at the point of sale.

Overall the whole thing was badly handled and not the experience I would expect when buying a 50k car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:

Full tank of petrol

Am I being thick, what have they changed. They have changed the mileage limit, what else? I still don't understand why they cannot honour the deal. Of course you can cancel as they cannot honour the deal they agreed. I would insist that they honour the deal that they agreed. If you had agreed the deal and then phoned them to say that you couldn't complete as agreed but wanted to pay £50 a month less, what do you think that they would say?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
edowen
Major
Rep

Sorry, but that is a change - they told you one thing when it was actually another.

I'm sure Anneka will help sort you out.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread