E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DRL coding?

08-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

DRL coding?

I want my daytime running lights to do the following, is it possible?

When my lights are in the "off" position, my DRLs are on, AEs and all other lights off, like normal operation.

When switching to the "parking" lights (first click to right) my DRLs go OFF and all other lights come on like normal.

When fully to the on position,operation as normal.

I have a 2008 e90 non I drive.

I ask this because I want to get new AEs but still want my DRLs for safety.

I do not want my AEs as my DRLs, I know you need a harness or whatever, and that is not what I want anyway. I also don't want my DRLs completely off, I know you can do that too.

Thanks.
      08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

What are you trying to ask for ??

Your DRL are high beam with AE...Are you asking for just high beams on and the AE rings not lighting up as DRLs??? If so its not possible
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

DRL = daytime running lights. The inside bulbs on our headlights, I have no idea what your talking about with the high beams?

Not talking about the stalk, or high beams, the circular switch on the left side of the steering wheel switch...

Straight up is off, turn left is adaptive headlights, 1 click right is parking lights, 2 clicks right are full headlights/exterior lights
      08-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Anyone???
      08-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Montego Blue+Black Int.

what you described seems to be the default behavior. If you haven't done any coding for DRL, your DRL is the high beam, which is separate from AE, so if you want to get new AE, you can go ahead and do it, and your DRL is still your high beam, just like what you have now.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanboy View Post
what you described seems to be the default behavior. If you haven't done any coding for DRL, your DRL is the high beam, which is separate from AE, so if you want to get new AE, you can go ahead and do it, and your DRL is still your high beam, just like what you have now.
Why is everyone keep bringing up the high beams?

When I turn my lights to the first position to the right (Not completely turning on my headlights, only my "parking lights") , both the AE's and DRL's come on. I only want my AE's to come on.

I want to be able to control ym DRLs. When my lights are in the "off" position, the DRLs are ON. When the lights get turned "on", to any position, the DRLs go off.

why is this so hard to explain or for people to understand?
      08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Hopefully this helps explain it:

08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I ask this because I want to get new AEs but still want my DRLs for safety.
Thanks.
is confusing as it sounded like all you want to do is get new AEs, maybe that's why ppl keep pointing you to the high beam -- just change the bulb and be done with it kinda reply.

Well DRL is DRL, if you want it to be off under certain switch position, then it won't be DRL anymore, it'll just be a regular light wouldn't it? Anyway, hope you find your solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This

is confusing as it sounded like all you want to do is get new AEs, maybe that's why ppl keep pointing you to the high beam -- just change the bulb and be done with it kinda reply.

Well DRL is DRL, if you want it to be off under certain switch position, then it won't be DRL anymore, it'll just be a regular light wouldn't it? Anyway, hope you find your solution.
I get they won't be true Daytime running lights anymore.. but here is my reasoning:

If I buy new MTEC angel eyes, they are not really visible during the day anyway. No need to have them on. However, I like the DRL's for safety reasons and being easily seen. However, when it starts to get toward the evening when it gets darker, on go the "Parking lights"... which will turn my Angel eyes ON - at this point, no need for the DRLs, so I want them OFF.

I know I can have my AEs and DRLs on at the same time, but then the AE's don't look as good, AND, they will not match the DRL's in color.
      08-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I get they won't be true Daytime running lights anymore.. but here is my reasoning:

If I buy new MTEC angel eyes, they are not really visible during the day anyway. No need to have them on. However, I like the DRL's for safety reasons and being easily seen. However, when it starts to get toward the evening when it gets darker, on go the "Parking lights"... which will turn my Angel eyes ON - at this point, no need for the DRLs, so I want them OFF.

I know I can have my AEs and DRLs on at the same time, but then the AE's don't look as good, AND, they will not match the DRL's in color.
Understood, regardless of your reason, let's assume you can code what you want, honestly, r u gonna do that manually? I mean from 0 -> parking -> headlight on while driving? Lots of ppl won't even remember to go from 0 -> headlight when night falls until they get to somewhere dark (totally skipping the "parking" time frame), that's y they have "auto" mode.
Not down playing your reason for doing it, but the gain is not all that much (just saying).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Understood, regardless of your reason, let's assume you can code what you want, honestly, r u gonna do that manually? I mean from 0 -> parking -> headlight on while driving? Lots of ppl won't even remember to go from 0 -> headlight when night falls until they get to somewhere dark (totally skipping the "parking" time frame), that's y they have "auto" mode.
Not down playing your reason for doing it, but the gain is not all that much (just saying).
Am I going to remember?

YES! I NEVER use the "auto" setting, even though I do have adapative headlights...

... some of us have owned cars that don't have automatic lights, and are used to manually turning the lights on. God forbid we have to turn a switch! Haha, almost the same as "push button" starting.. god forbid if you have to manually turn a set of keys!

In all seriousness, I never use AUTO lights, and yes I remember what lights I have on, when.
      08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

.... ANYONE? ...

Is this possible? There has to be a way... Ive seen people do way "crazier" things than this!