E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > comfort access package on e92..

09-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth335i
CA is a neat feature, but I believe its best enjoyed when the car is automatic. There is really no sense in a 6 speed manual, it just becomes redundant after a while.
not true, obviously when u press the start button to start the car u're already sitting inside... doesn't take a whole lot of work and effort to depress the clutch. for long term manual drivers (such as myself) it becomes second nature that u step on the clutch when u start the car... it's not that bothersome.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
CA is a neat feature, but I believe its best enjoyed when the car is automatic. There is really no sense in a 6 speed manual, it just becomes redundant after a while. Walk up, door unlocks, open sit, press clutch, press brake (not needed but we all do it), push the start button, etc..... This is the reason why I didn't opt for the CA since I got a 6 speed. It just didn't make any sense.
I don't see why it's any different for a 6mt
CA function is the same for both.... (key in pocket)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #25
Stealth335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty5
not true, obviously when u press the start button to start the car u're already sitting inside... doesn't take a whole lot of work and effort to depress the clutch. for long term manual drivers (such as myself) it becomes second nature that u step on the clutch when u start the car... it's not that bothersome.
I can see your point of view, maybe you can change my mind !
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #26
Stealth335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
I don't see why it's any different for a 6mt
CA function is the same for both.... (key in pocket)
It doesn't, it functions the same, just the added input from the driver to press the clutch is what I was referring to.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #27
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
It doesn't, it functions the same, just the added input from the driver to press the clutch is what I was referring to.
Thanks...
I'll be going 6mt... on the fence with CA.

non-CA just seems dumb to have to stick the fob in the socket *and* push the start....
Might as well just have stayed with a normal key
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #28
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Thanks...
I'll be going 6mt... on the fence with CA.
I think it's one of those things you'd really enjoy once you got used to it. If you have the $$$ then just go for it.

For my own part I turned it down quite easily. Its convenience would be greatly overshadowed by my impatience if I pulled the door handle and the door was still locked, or if I had to grab the handle a particular way to satisfy the CA system. I think I felt that I had already given enough to the car in the way of automation and "convenience":

1) Seatbelt assistant
2) New-fangled turn indicator
3) No dipstick
4) Power-folding mirrors when convenience-closing windows with key
5) RFT's

I felt like I was selling out. As a 6MT driver I "like to work", as one salesperson put it

Just my CDN$0.02.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #29
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
CA is a neat feature, but I believe its best enjoyed when the car is automatic. There is really no sense in a 6 speed manual, it just becomes redundant after a while. Walk up, door unlocks, open sit, press clutch, press brake (not needed but we all do it), push the start button, etc..... This is the reason why I didn't opt for the CA since I got a 6 speed. It just didn't make any sense.

Until you have a kid in one arm and kid related crap in the other and you don't have to dig your keys out of your pocket. That more than covers the $500 price tag for me.
      09-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #30
GSpeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 535i

Cool

CA feature took some getting used to at first. I still find myself reaching for the keys every now and then.

It is so friggen cool that you dont have to deal with keys, remotes, or inserting the fob to start the car. You simply walk up to the car and everything just works. No thinking about it. The daily friend that recognizes you and says " come on in sir" !

Finally, I think there is a setting for CA where you can set it to open both doors. The dealer mentioned this to me when I took delivery, but have not tried to look for it yet. Time to read the manual..
      09-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #31
Traceaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB BMW
It most certainly works..I do it everyday. Great little feature to have the mirrors fold in!
Why do you want the mirrors to fold in? Just to protect them from being bumped or something?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #32
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
CA @ $455 is the best valued option available in my opinion.

Once you've had it, you'll think dayum this is definitely worth the money. I've not see a single person that has CA complain that she/he wasted their $$$ on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #33
gotmark73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Waiting for Coupe

Garage List
2007 328 Coupe  [0.00]
I picked up my car yesterday, very few options and LOVE the CA. It is more convenient than I ever imagined. Can not say enough good things about it.

I am not saying we should kill the stupid people, we should just remove the warning labels off of everything and let nature take it's course.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #34
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

can anyone with CA on an e92 confirm if their mirrors fold in by holding your finger on the ridges of the handle to lock the car????

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #35
miamidanny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek305
can anyone with CA on an e92 confirm if their mirrors fold in by holding your finger on the ridges of the handle to lock the car????

thanks
They don't...mine doesn't and Straz mentioned his mirrors didn't fold either.

2007 E92 328i
Monaco Blue Saddle Brown Brushed Aluminum
6MT ZPP Navi CA PDC Heated Seats

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #36
Ucan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I still can not justify myself to spend $500 just not to take a key from my pocket to unlock the doors and then stick it into the key hole to start the car.

Additionally, CA still requires the driver to hold the door handle in a certain way to unlock the doors - this overrules the arguement that CA helps a ton when both of your hands are occuppied. One might say: "Using the remote key is more convenient than CA because you just push a button and all doors are unlocked; you are not required to hold the door handle in a certain way. Just press a button and open the door."

Yes, I'm willing to spend almost $50K for my 335i but this doesn't justify spending a lot of money for options without making cost/benefit analysis. I believe benefits of CA - if there's any - is not worth $500.

I will visit my dealer this Wed. to submit my ED documents. I will check out CA one more time to see what this buzz is really about.

Ucan
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #37
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucan
I still can not justify myself to spend $500 just not to take a key from my pocket to unlock the doors and then stick it into the key hole to start the car.

Additionally, CA still requires the driver to hold the door handle in a certain way to unlock the doors - this overrules the arguement that CA helps a ton when both of your hands are occuppied. One might say: "Using the remote key is more convenient than CA because you just push a button and all doors are unlocked; you are not required to hold the door handle in a certain way. Just press a button and open the door."

Yes, I'm willing to spend almost $50K for my 335i but this doesn't justify spending a lot of money for options without making cost/benefit analysis. I believe benefits of CA - if there's any - is not worth $500.

I will visit my dealer this Wed. to submit my ED documents. I will check out CA one more time to see what this buzz is really about.

Ucan
I don't quite understand your point about opening the door a certain way? Do you not just put your hand behind the handle and pull? Have you actually tried CA? It's not like there's some secret handshake with the door handle to get it to open.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #38
miamidanny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucan

Ucan
You don't have to take the key out to place in the slot...as long it's in your pocket or inside the car...just push down on clutch (MT) or brake and press the start button. You can program your car to open just the driver's door or all doors. The same goes with the trunk, just press on the button on the trunk and it recognizes the remote.

2007 E92 328i
Monaco Blue Saddle Brown Brushed Aluminum
6MT ZPP Navi CA PDC Heated Seats

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #39
Ucan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

OK, today I checked out the CA at my dealer. You just touch the door handle and the doors unlock (if you have the key on you). You just push the start button to start the engine.

These are great, but still, I don't think this future is worth ~$500. I guess I'm going to be pressing key buttons for a few more years

Ucan
Appreciate 0